You were here when the butterfly opened it's wings

652cHAWK

Reaction score
Amazing how a leader type QB, that inspires by example, bolsters the D. That Chicago game, RW's 'not this time bitch' comeback was the watershed moment. Ze butterfly transformation. Pe and others around here called it, and stuck by it. Props to them, because with all the years to have a more negative reaction to some early negative play, er bad games, they were here expressing the more optimistic flipside.

Greenhell

Reaction score
Great write up Scottie. Thumbs up!

All hail Russell Wilson! The Butterfly of our hearts.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Great post, maybe one for the archives. I don't mind a little bandwagon fans. packing the stadium with new blood and fresh vocal cords can be a good thing as long as we don't jack up the ticket prices and end up like Dallas. I want a stadium full of ruthless fans who scream and yell, not rich business men and housewives who clap.

drdiags

Reaction score
Great write-up noting the main turning point in this team's growth.

3 games I didn't think we would win as the games played out: GB, NE and Bears showed me something I had never experienced as a Seahawks fan. Those were games this team historically loses. Still trying to wrap my mind around this season. Right now I am just pretty numb to it all.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Riley12":301r3ln3 said:
It's tough when it is just Dom and me pulling that load.
That must be a terrible burden for you. ;)

@Scotte, you should have seen how much some of us were cursing Bevell through the season to the Chicago game. Sometimes the play calling was not just bad, but downright horrible. I'm left to assume it was only Pete keeping the training wheels on, but I'm not entirely sold on Bevell being a great play caller, yet. What he does in the playoffs will say a lot. For me, anyways.

billbird2111

Reaction score
I have been watching Seahawks football since they first entered the league. I can remember when Seattle drafted a safety in 1981, that Bill Walsh BADLY wanted for his team. Instead, Kenny Easley went to the Seahawks. Walsh was then forced to draft the second-best defensive back on his draft board (in his opinion) -- a guy by the name of Ronnie Lott.

It's funny how these things work out. Easley wasn't a bad player. In fact, he was pretty darn good. But it was Lott who turned out to be the dominant force that helped lead the 49ers to multiple championships in the 1980's.

I bring this up because, in all my years of watching NFL Football, I've never seen a Seattle team this damn good. I've never seen a Seattle team this damn dominant. I've never seen Seattle close out a season like this before. You didn't just beat my 49ers. You dominated them from start to finish. The game wasn't in doubt after the first quarter.

My brother, a long-time San Diego Chargers fanatic, has now "adopted" the Seahawks as his new "favorite" team. He's only done this because he can't stand the 49ers, and it's a way to needle his brother. Plus, have you seen the Chargers play football lately? It's pretty ugly.

I don't know what awaits Seattle. But I can tell you this much. As a 49er fan? I do NOT want to face the Seahawks in the playoffs and I don't care WHERE the game is played.

That's the mark of a pretty good team. It's about time. You've only had to wait for three plus decades...

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1pmpq9t2 said:
Riley12":1pmpq9t2 said:
It's tough when it is just Dom and me pulling that load.
That must be a terrible burden for you. ;)

@Scotte, you should have seen how much some of us were cursing Bevell through the season to the Chicago game. Sometimes the play calling was not just bad, but downright horrible. I'm left to assume it was only Pete keeping the training wheels on, but I'm not entirely sold on Bevell being a great play caller, yet. What he does in the playoffs will say a lot. For me, anyways.

I was right there with you. I was anti-Bevell, and some wise people on here kept reminding me it was Pete who wanted the approach. Then I became a little afraid that Pete's approach was to ingrained and would never change. It never changed with Hasselbeck or Tarvaris. But Pete saw the light. His press conferences this week have been very revealing about how they had to turn Wilson loose.

Bevell half mocked the reporter weeks back who asked him if it was time to open up the offense. Yes, that is a vague question, but as it turns out, it was exactly what they did.

kearly

Reaction score
Two of my favorite seasons were 2002 and 2011- seasons that casual/bandwagon fans completely missed out on.

And with Bevell, I've always liked his creativity, even when the run-run-pass formula left a lot to be desired. I always put the blame for that on Pete though. I'm starting to think he wasn't lying when he said he fired Bates for not running enough.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2ib929t7 said:
I was right there with you. I was anti-Bevell, and some wise people on here kept reminding me it was Pete who wanted the approach.

Oops, I meant to add that I meant in the .NET chat on game days, where there's no record; but yeah, it was on-again, off-again frustrating as hell.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Good post. The final five minutes of that Bears game really did turn this whole thing around. Russell did prove to the coaches, his teammates and the fans that he can run this offense and get us down the field. The overtime drive was his coming out. The TD against the Pats was more of a glimpse of what he can do, but now we're seeing it every play. His athleticism, decision making, his ability to improvise and now some pre snap audibles. It's all coming together for the team.