You were here when the butterfly opened it's wings

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Warning: This isn't short.

150 points in 3 games (For comparison, the 1992 squad scored 140 points in that entire season). 100 consecutive points at home with no answering score from the whoever the hell was forced to endure a trip to Seattle. Annihilation, destruction, havoc and Jim Harbaugh's face left blank. It all adds up to the team nobody wants to play. Drop to your knees and thank the lord of schedule making, Indy, you get to keep living in your paper palace, nobody knows what a fraud you are, because you don't have to face the Hawks.

This was not expected by even the devoted. Not this. Until we saw it with our own eyes, this offense was an exercise in potential. There was no proof it was even possible, with 30 points being the most we had scored in a single game all season.

What happened? I was pretty vocal about the playcalling up to and after the Miami game, and I felt validated about those criticisms when Pete acknowledged they could have thrown it a bit more. Our offense was multiple, but there was a governor on the throttle, and that governor was a call sheet and Motorola mic in the hands of Bevell. But it wasn't really. Pete was afraid of turnovers, and he had to learn just like everybody else to put his faith in Russell. Pete was the governor on our throttle.

Our offense has consisted of Run and Deep Shots, and if the safety is covering too, roll out and throw it away. We played that game for most of the season and 55 minutes in Chicago. Sure there was the occasional changeup to the formula, but it felt like 55 minutes of dueling with wooden practice swords more than strategic playcalling. The governor was still in place, and a defense that had played great was looking like it would get the blame for giving up 14 measly points. Because we had 10.

And with Seattle's backs against the wall, Pete finally removed the governor. He finally allowed Russell to be the player the other team has to worry about. He finally let the point guard decide when he drives and when he dishes.

When that warrior had secured the victory, we could have gone back to the old way of doing things, but Seattle's defense really did blow it this time. And that was the best thing that could have happened to our team. Really.

Yes, allowing a team to drive the field in under 30 seconds and take a game to overtime was the best thing that could have happened to the Hawks, you heard me. Because Seattle kept the governor off the offense yet again, and yet again Russell proved he is to be trusted fully and completely to do the right thing.

The whole team needed those two drives. The explosion of take aways that has resulted is from those drives. Our defense had slowly gone from aggressive to conservative in approach, knowing how much our game plan depended on them not making any mistakes. In every game, they had to choose to either attack or control the offense, and the result was a run defense that was not aggressive and what felt like a defense in slow decline because they had been carrying the rest of the team.

In all games since, Seattles offense has found points quickly in the first quarter, and the defense has responded with formerly repressed aggression. All three phases of the game are working together as a single unit for the first time all year. Because of two drives on the road in Chicago.

Pete will always build around the run, so in a sense, that governor will always exist. But that is a very good thing, to attack through the air always is to sacrifice physicality for precision, and physicality has to be part of our identity. Physicality is play action, is the basis of run option, and is just plain vital to the attitude of our offensive line. The governor on the quarterback is gone though, and that is how the ugly little caterpillar has become something beautiful. Gone are notions of making the quarterback climb the pocket because the play calls for it. Gone are the notions that the west coast must have the quick slants that Russell will always struggle to complete. Gone are the notions of smoke screens as the best option to get the ball from quarterback to receiver.

Pete trusts Wilson. Now this is the NFL, and stuff happens, and Wilson will make more mistakes, maybe even some mistakes that cost us games. But Pete knows he won't make them from bad habits, won't make them from trying to make the impossible happen, and won't make them because the overall pressure of the game has gotten to him. I was afraid that in the future we would have to deal with a coach who struggled to give up control to his ever growing quarterback, and those fears have evaporated. That speaks volumes about Pete. For a "defensive" coach to give up control isn't easy, and Pete's near phobia of turnovers can't make it easy to surrender control. Pete preaches humble, and he walks it too, at least to the extent you can in that profession. I would compare what Pete is doing to a music teacher who realizes he has this one truly special student, and one day he realizes this student just doesn't need sheet music anymore.

The bandwagon is going to fill up fast. More casual fans than you, the reader of this too long post, will now begin to annoy you as they make it harder and more expensive to get tickets. This board is going to be gaining fans who are more fans of players than the laundry they wear, and who enjoy success more than the process. Fans who are fickle when we lose, and just as quick to let a little adversity make them complain as they are to let a little success go to their heads. That's OK. You were here when the butterfly opened it's wings.

Riley12

Reaction score
It's from the bandwagon or casual fans that new diehards are born (aside from the diehards that are literally born from diehards, ha). So
I don't mind all of the new folks hopping on board and the more the merrier.

I just hope they keep the fanbase classy though. It's tough when it is just Dom and me pulling that load.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
The Seahawks are my team and will always be my team. But I'm more than happy that Sundays now my wife will sit and watch the games with me instead of just me and my various animals.

hawker84

Reaction score
great post, and nowhere near as painful to read through as i thought it would be. lol.. i too was one of those screaming at pete and bevell to loosen the reigns, and let wilson do what he does.. especially after the NE game, that was it for me.. he can do it, he will do it more often than not...

i judge my hawks success a few ways, one of course is the W-L total, one just by the amount of plays they make a game.. but the one that always seems to be consistent in judging success is 3rd down completions... 2005, if it was 3rd and 6 or above, i felt confident we could pick it up. last year 3rd and 6, we're punting...

this team is consistent on 3rd and 4th downs, thus moving the chains and sustaining drives.. and on top of that, they are scoring in the redzone, something the 2005 team was very good at...

it's all clicking, RW has the team believing in him and more importantly in themselves... as long as the D can play at the same level on the road, this could be a very good post season.

Riley12

Reaction score
SonicHawk":3ki6oa3r said:
The Seahawks are my team and will always be my team. But I'm more than happy that Sundays now my wife will sit and watch the games with me instead of just me and my various animals.

Ha! I can relate to that.

There were games in the '02 and '03 seasons when I was begging people (including my wife) to go to the games
with me and my second seat sat vacant. '04 and '05 changed all of that and now my wife is definitely a bigger
fan of the NFL as a whole entity than I have ever been.

Now, I feel like I practically have to hold a lottery for my second seat and I was extremely happy that there were
very few Niner fans in the stands on Sunday.

This season has got a lot of people "3elieving" and it is very cool to see.

pehawk

Reaction score
Word, Scottie.

My huge complaint with Bevell is I saw the ingredients of a dynamic offense not being used. Lynch would rush all over someone, and the offense would get 13 points. Wilson would make every throw, bam, 16 points. It didn't make sense that the Hawks offense struggled. It didnt't after the Rams game. But, now we know (why), and knowing's half the battle?

Chicago was the turning point. Those last two drives we're plays no NFL team could stop. So, Pete carried it into the next week.

The thread title's creepy though. A-hole!

BlueTalons

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2di310l2 said:
Pete trusts Wilson. Now this is the NFL, and stuff happens, and Wilson will make more mistakes, maybe even some mistakes that cost us games. But Pete knows he won't make them from bad habits, won't make them from trying to make the impossible happen, and won't make them because the overall pressure of the game has gotten to him.
RW learns from his mistakes which makes him better. I also feel the more freedom he is given - and to be more instinctual - his positive plays WAY out weigh the negative plays. When you make a player try to think too much and do something they are not comfortable with, then that is when their game slows down and problems really start to happen.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
While watching the Bears game on a half hour delay, immediately before the Hawks started their final drive in regulation, I paused the TV and said to my wife... "You watch. This drive will either MAKE or BREAK the rest of the Hawks season."

And boy, did it EVER make the rest of the season. It was a thing of beauty... and then to see Russell and the offense repeat that performance with a game-winning TD drive in OT was simply masterful.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Russell Wilson was born to be the Seahawks Quarterback. Thank you to his dad for getting him up at 5:45AM every morning and throwing outs, thank you to his family for supporting him and helping him become the man he is. But mostly, thank you Russell Wilson for making yourself the man you are and for being the Seattle Seahawks starting Quarterback.

And thank you Pete Carroll, John Schneider, et al, for building this team the way you did.

Signed, A Long Suffering Seattle Seahawks fan! :th2thumbs:

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Awesome post Scottie.... great thoughts and pretty accurate description of the progress of the offense.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I whole heartedly agree. When your defense knows the offense will be cool, put up a hand, and sayl, "I've got this" if the opposing team puts up some points after a defensive mistake, they get aggressive. It's a fun irony, then, that the more aggressive they are, the less prone to costing the team points they'll be.

Damn this is going to be a fun ride.

j hawk

Reaction score
I always enjoy your posting Scottie,well done again. I knew young Mr Wilson was going to be good but not quite at this fast pace.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":18snh7si said:
Word, Scottie.

My huge complaint with Bevell is I saw the ingredients of a dynamic offense not being used. Lynch would rush all over someone, and the offense would get 13 points. Wilson would make every throw, bam, 16 points. It didn't make sense that the Hawks offense struggled. It didnt't after the Rams game. But, now we know (why), and knowing's half the battle?

Chicago was the turning point. Those last two drives we're plays no NFL team could stop. So, Pete carried it into the next week.

The thread title's creepy though. A-hole!
Well, it was either a butterfly analogy, or you were here when the Seahawks dropped trouser on the NFL and showed everyone their big offense.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Scottemojo":275dcu5t said:
-The Glove-":275dcu5t said:
I just want to know who Tom Bevell is.
yeah, I was mixing my cable/bevell names. thanks.
Just messing with ya...but good post as always man. I was also down on Bevell. I understand PC called for the conservative game plan, but there were a lot of headscratching calls that you can only blame on the OC. But it seems like since we've taken advantage of RW's skillset, he's gotten more creative with the calls and everything has been working out beautifully.

And pass the crow, please. I'd love to have seconds.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Awesome post my brotha!

Agree with everything you wrote, even that Darrell Bevell should change his name to Tom...

Seriously good stuff.

Latest posts