Edwards TD - Pereira - Carey

Jville

Reaction score
IMHO Biased officiating is a fact of life. It starts each week when officiating crews have their midweek conference call and discuss "how they are going to call the game".

There are two primary influences. The first is market/audience size which is what it is. The second is story line which can weigh heavily depending on how heavily the story line is promoted.

Russell Wilson is a growing story line. He can't single handly level the playing field. But week by week, I think Wilson is quietly working on reducing the tilt.

I'd like to see Pete bring in more players like Russell Wilson. That is something Pete can influence. Another middle infielder would be just find by me.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Pereira is by far a turbo-douche and frankly I wouldn't be surprised to find out that he and Carey share a toothbrush, but I could see that one being overturned. I do admit though, the way Pereira talks, concerns me in some way. On the last score, the Hawks scored, period. Possession, goal line, play over. JUST LIKE IN THE GB CATCH. With this one, he came back and said "what you must do, is prove that the ball carrier was going down on his own and blah blah blah"

Why must they do anything Mike the Meat Monitor? Why not just check the play and not MUST prove the Hawks won?

Carmon1274

Reaction score
jamsomatic":1frtxcv2 said:
Why would they even have Pereira on pontificating BEFORE a ruling is made. Seems odd and contradictory to the NFL's style.... Has he EVER gone against an official's ruling?? I haven't seen it. In fact he generally only opines after the fact IIRC.

I hate him.

Yes he had gone against an officials ruling. Many games during replacement refs and I recall last year with regular refs

mikeak

Reaction score
taz291819":2dttdds1 said:
FWIW, the officials get the same camera angles that is supplied by the broadcaster, which is what we see also. They don't get some special camera angle feed.

EDIT:

Just wanted to add. A few years ago, official replay booth finally upgraded to HD. Now, when they were watching a SD feed, that was an uncompressed SD feed, which is pretty close to what we see in HD at home. They now get to see uncompressed HD feeds, which is 10x better than what we see.

To put it in math terms: What we see at home, at best, is ~18Mbps. They get to see uncompressed, which is ~3Gbps. It really does make a difference.

Excellent point - was not aware that they are getting uncompressed but should have known. Article about the install below that I went and found

http://sportsvideo.org/main/blog/2007/0 ... nt-replay/

SoCalSeahawk

Reaction score
I understand the OP wondering about the Pereira connection. It seems in every game he's called upon his opinion is always an exact replica of the replay official's eventual conclusion. You'd think that at least once he and the replay official would differ.

Super joke XL has forever opened a doubt about the credibility of a league that I thought was beyond reproach.

mikeak

Reaction score
CANHawk":1ukmfmc6 said:
I'm not about to join the tinfoil hat brigade. I don't even remotely think there's a chance that Mike Pierra is piped into the replay booth, but I DO think that the idea of having referees review their own calls is a bit silly. These guys are all ego; like Hochuli and his muscles or Mike Carey and his stupid mustache. Do you think they enjoy standing in front of a giant stadium and saying "HEY EVERYONE! I TOTALLY SCREWED UP THAT CALL BECAUSE I'M A FRICKEN MORON!"? It's like grading your own paper, they totally have a vested interest in the call.

I think A) they need to get some refs with smaller egos who don't want to make themselves the star of the show and B) start having a designated crew of replay officials who can overturn any call at any time. Like Big Brother or the Internal Affairs dept.

Scoring plays are reviewed upstairs which didn't turn out so great

Next

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3v2rya54 said:
This thread is surreal...For my own morbid curiosity... do fans of this team truly believe the NFL and the referees (whom they just ended a nasty work dispute with) are actively conspiring against the Seattle Seahawks? And that a broadcaster may have a secret microphone to his former cronies to help them screw over a team?

Can someone post a poll?

or is it that the NFL officials have a hard time keeping up with 22 really big, strong and fast men running around and crashing into each other. They absolutely need to be better. They more than likely error on the side of caution, and probably lean towards the team supported by 60,000 screaming people. They probably start assuming our DBs are committing penalties because they are brash and physical. Some of them, including Carey and Pierror probably have feelings against and for certain teams. Its impossible to ask them to ignore these things.

But I have a hard time believing they are out to get one team.... and that team is the Seattle Seahawks.

we've had some calls go our way this season, and not just the obvious Tate call. Its part of the NFL.

Whats truly disturbing is fans excessive anger towards making it "perfect".. and not just the refs, the players as well. Its not X-box... its entertainment, a game played at exceedingly high speeds by human beings.

If...IF they wanted to take the game from the Seahawks, wouldn't they have used a two headed coin or something... some sort of mirrors that refracted sunlight into RWs eyes on the final drive. Maybe a sniper?

I just dont see it.... and I will probably be proven wrong in a year or so when someone finds a secret manifest outlining the slow and steady destruction of the city of Seattle by demoralizing its sports fans over an extended period of time causing the city to attempt secession and thus put under marshal law... and just because it had to be some city so why not Seattle?
No matter how you slice it UNC, XL was called by bias Officiating, that too many non Seahawk fans commented on ( like Troy Aikman for one), hell, there was even a Steelers fan that stated that he wanted the win by his team, and added "But Not Like This"

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Not biased scutter... just poor. Really poor. Its a hard one to get over. Its not a conspiracy. Neither was the Bears game.

I wonder in honesty how many more penalties are called against the visiting team each week?

hawksfanohio

Reaction score
I thought it was ridiculous when Pereira says on the Edwards call that he believed it wasn't a td, which was clearly giving his opinion against the Seahawks. Then on the game winning Rice td, wouldn't even acknowledge the touchdown. He was on the air trying to figure out ways it "might" not be a touchdown. It was like he didn't even want to give his opinion at all that time. I can't remember his exact words though. Does anyone else remember this? I was thinking wow, this guy is consistent at least with his bias lol.

CANHawk

Reaction score
mikeak":350pusxr said:
CANHawk":350pusxr said:
I'm not about to join the tinfoil hat brigade. I don't even remotely think there's a chance that Mike Pierra is piped into the replay booth, but I DO think that the idea of having referees review their own calls is a bit silly. These guys are all ego; like Hochuli and his muscles or Mike Carey and his stupid mustache. Do you think they enjoy standing in front of a giant stadium and saying "HEY EVERYONE! I TOTALLY SCREWED UP THAT CALL BECAUSE I'M A FRICKEN MORON!"? It's like grading your own paper, they totally have a vested interest in the call.

I think A) they need to get some refs with smaller egos who don't want to make themselves the star of the show and B) start having a designated crew of replay officials who can overturn any call at any time. Like Big Brother or the Internal Affairs dept.

Scoring plays are reviewed upstairs which didn't turn out so great

Next

Of course, which is why mustache mike was under the hood and made the call after Edwards and Rice TD's....

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
hawksfanohio":35fs8ewa said:
I thought it was ridiculous when Pereira says on the Edwards call that he believed it wasn't a td, which was clearly giving his opinion against the Seahawks. Then on the game winning Rice td, wouldn't even acknowledge the touchdown. He was on the air trying to figure out ways it "might" not be a touchdown. It was like he didn't even want to give his opinion at all that time. I can't remember his exact words though. Does anyone else remember this? I was thinking wow, this guy is consistent at least with his bias lol.

See my previous post. I TOTALLY caught that after the score. He was sitting there trying to figure out a way to NOT count it as a TD, even saying "what you must do is prove that he was on the way down when the ball came out blah blah blah" regardless of the fact that Rice had the ball across the plane prior to it coming out.

It all worked out, but MP is a major tool.

I am going to add and mention this one thing that truly annoyed me from SBXL. After Leavy came out and owned up to the blown calls, MP was sitting there defending him. In fact, on the play that really killed the Hawks (Locklear holding) his quote was "The Seahawk fans just need to let it go, it was a good call and if anything they should be upset at the offsides on Pittsburgh that wasn't called on that play"

Now when that play happened, Haggans was offsides by a MILE, so much so that after the pass when the flag came out, my entire family room, including two Steeler fans called it offsides from the get go. No problem, the Steeler fans there were just instantly bummed. Then they made the holding call on Lock WHO WAS TRYING TO BLOCK HAGGANS WHO WAS OFFSIDES TO BEGIN WITH. Even MP admitted it. For him to say that and then claim the holding call was a good call after a completion to the one is just a kick to the groin. I truly despise MP, that is for sure.

DOH!!!!

Latest posts