Sounders Season Thread ***YEDLIN SOLD***

razgriz737

Reaction score
From today's (1/21/14) drafting...

"Sounders FC selected forward/midfielder Stefano Rijssel of Trinidadian club W Connection FC with the No. 55 overall pick in the third round and midfielder Fabio Pereira from the University of Michigan with the No. 77 pick."

Sounders FC assistant coach and scout, Kurt Schmid:

“Stefano is a young player that Ezra Hendrickson scouted at the Caribbean combine and we all saw at the MLS Combine. He showed good tactical sense as well as physical qualities. He can play wide in midfield but also has some versatility.”

“Fabio has done well throughout his college career. He’s a player we had a chance to work with closely at our Las Vegas combine as well. We like his soccer IQ and technical ability. Fabio can play all over midfield and has a good engine. Both players have the ability to compete for a spot on our roster.”

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/soundersf ... uperdraft/

Dren

Reaction score
Here is to hoping that Omar Browne is a diamond in the rough!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
We knew this day was coming but now it's arrived.... Fredy Montero is officially off the Sounders. Sport Lisbon has officially acquired him from his loan (the estimate is $4.5M). Sounders' loss is SL's gain. Good Luck Fredy! Thank you for all your efforts as a Sounder!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
razgriz737":2e3zesmu said:
Drogba to Seattle at the end of the Euro season?

https://twitter.com/TFootballFamily/sta ... 2585555969

It's a rumor for now, but supposedly this has been a reliable source in the past.

This would be cool. Drogba is up there in age (per Soccer years) but for a couple of years at minimum may be great value. I had a feeling that they were going to target Drogba as there is a void up front but that was before Martins decided he was coming back. Once he was coming back and they went out and got Cooper. I thought Drogba would be a longshot. Drogba, Pappa, Dempsey, and Martins....screw rebuilding. That's a formidable Midfield/attack.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
I wouldn't put much hope in that Drogba rumor...

Seems every 5 months hes linked to an MLS club.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Keeping up with preseason games for the Sounders - Martins had two goals in the first game and it sounds as though Dylan Remick has been playing well at right defender.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
hawkfan68":vzrn0jav said:
Keeping up with preseason games for the Sounders - Martins had two goals in the first game and it sounds as though Dylan Remick has been playing well at right defender.

Where have they been playing Yedlin?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":2tg6rzrc said:
hawkfan68":2tg6rzrc said:

Where have they been playing Yedlin?

If I'm not mistaken, Yedlin is with USNMT along with Evans. So I don't believe he was playing in the first two preseason games. IMO, when Yedlin is back I wouldn't mind seeing him play more midfield...where his skills are best utilized. His talent is wasted at defender. He's not that great as a defender which contributed to the piss poor defense last season. Just my take.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
The Sounders are pretty full at midfield, no? If Remick improves our defense then I would love to have him start. How has the new CB looked?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":1lwlhjx0 said:
The Sounders are pretty full at midfield, no? If Remick improves our defense then I would love to have him start. How has the new CB looked?
They looked ok. It was Remick who really stood out the most so far. You're correct there is a glutton of MFs on the team. Why they centered on the position in the offseason, who knows. Yedlin is better than Rose, Caskey, and Joseph but most likely the Sounders will keep Yedlin at right back.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1iv89z0j said:
CurryStopstheRuns":1iv89z0j said:
They looked ok. It was Remick who really stood out the most so far. You're correct there is a glutton of MFs on the team. Why they centered on the position in the offseason, who knows. Yedlin is better than Rose, Caskey, and Joseph but most likely the Sounders will keep Yedlin at right back.

Playing Yedlin anywhere but RB is a disservice to his future. He has potential European talent if they keep him at RB.

Remick should push Leo for time at LB. There is a reason they didn't squirm when Burch left, or really try to get a replacement. They knew what they had in Remick...he was the lone bright spot in that drubbing we took to Colorado last season. After he came on there was a reason to watch.

The addition of Marco Pappa makes it easier for us to run a lopsided Diamond formation.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Arsenal has loaned a reserve player to the Rapids. City can loan up to 4 to the new NYCFC...

Interesting developments and I believe good for the league

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Hmmm...I wonder who would lose their DP spot should they come to terms with Drogba. Alonso, Dempsey, and Martins are DP. Since Martins is a DP/I, I would think something would have to be done with him. Which is too bad because I think he would be productive in a full season. If he can stay healthy. Hopefully we get to see that.