Why is this SB fever so much higher than the last one?

themunn

Reaction score
I don't remember us ever really dominating in 05, we won a few games on last second FGs, and never really beat a dominant opponent.

this year we have faced and beaten the best. Now i feel we can beat anyone

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
All of the above, plus we have seen this team assembled from scratch. Our entire roster is made of "our guys" (21 of 53 were undrafted), and even the newest FA's (like Bennett and Avril) have the feel of being long-time Seahawks. The Dynasty's origins have been built before our eyes, and it has no discernible weaknesses.

samwize77

Reaction score
These are the Hawks we've always wanted, and not surprised by.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
The Personalities, the building of the squad from meager beginnings, the personal stories. There is a veritable smorgasbord of human interest stories to this team. From Michael Robinson's return from Illness, to Chris Clemons return from injury, the suspensions, The QB no one wanted, the hearing impaired Running back, the cornerback from Compton who set the world afire with his words, to the running back from Oakland who did the same with his silence. There is so much to love about this team. I can honestly say that I have never felt so connected to a team on a personal level as I do with this one.

Go Hawks!

Oh and I deeply want to shatter John Elway's dreams!

StoneCold

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":19i2d9yi said:
The Personalities, the building of the squad from meager beginnings, the personal stories. There is a veritable smorgasbord of human interest stories to this team. From Michael Robinson's return from Illness, to Chris Clemons return from injury, the suspensions, The QB no one wanted, the hearing impaired Running back, the cornerback from Compton who set the world afire with his words, to the running back from Oakland who did the same with his silence. There is so much to love about this team. I can honestly say that I have never felt so connected to a team on a personal level as I do with this one.

Go Hawks!

Oh and I deeply want to shatter John Elway's dreams!

I've noticed the same thing. It's much more crazy this year. 12 signs and go hawk signs are everywhere. Even the homeless guy has his change bucket wrapped in an "I'm In" poster. My favorite was a binary sign in a downtown Bellevue office window, "0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0th Man". And for all the reasons you've mentioned above this team has more cross over appeal to the casual and non fan than the 06 team. Loving it!

Go Hawks!

Largent80

Reaction score
I think the answer is simple. It is just too hard to get there.

I think I speak for several people when I say I thought we would make it back the very next year after the 2005 season.

8 years later and a regime change and rebuild later, here we are.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I agree with Largent.

I think in 05 we took it for granted. We had a great team and we expected to be back in 06 and 07.

We now know just how hard it is to get to the Super Bowl, even with a great team. Just because you are in a Championship window does not mean you can make it to the end every year.

We aren't taking it for granted this time.

muxpux

Reaction score
I say social media and the 12 phenomenon. It's easy for fans to latch onto the 12th man idea. It's a comradarie thing. Your rooting on a team but a part of something

ndnchapathi69

Reaction score
Its gotta be because of Pete Carroll, he brings out the best in anyone and everyone and that includes the 12s.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I think people hit on a few reasons why. I would like to add my own reason: We had the Sonics in '05/'06 and we don't have them now. That loss - really, all of 2008, which was just MISERABLE for Seattle (Sonics were stolen, UW football went 0-12, Ms lost 100 games with a $100M payroll, Seahawks went 4-12) - seemed to make this city more aware of how starved it is for some sports success.

A win tomorrow wouldn't make up completely for 2008, but it would be a cooling balm that heals a lot of old Seattle sports wounds.

olyfan63

Reaction score
We were good enough in 2005 and overpowered people with our running game. We weren't deep enough on the defensive side of the ball; our 2005 D overachieved, held together by chewing gum and baling twine and the fact that that amazing 2005 offense kept them from being under pressure a lot of the time.

The team personalities and team media relations in 2005 didn't grab the national media by the balls and have their way with them the way this team has.

Wilson & Sherman have forced their way onto the national media map, and love or hate is irrelevant, as long as there's attention and plenty of it. Skip Bayless, Trent Dilfer, Marshall Faulk, Kurt Warner, whether they're dissing the Seahawks or praising them is irrelevant, as long as they are talking about us.

The fan energy is off the charts, even more so than 2005. I never saw the level of total regional fanbase involvement in 2005 that I'm seeing this year. It's just unbelievable. Tons of people at my work who didn't care one way or the other 2 years ago came in this Friday with Seahawks gear, faces painted, tailgate parties, etc. Ask them to name more than 3 offensive linemen and you'd probably get a blank stare and maybe one or two names, but boy are they passionate fans. People are looking for *something* to identify with and celebrate. I won a lot of bets with coworkers by taking the Seahawks last year (especially on GB, Patriots, 49ers games) but nobody will bet against them this year.

I'll have to try the more-than-3-offensive linemen quiz and see what the results are. I figure Okung, Giacomini, and Unger get a certain amount of attention, but to name Bowie, Bailey, McQuistan, JeanPierre, and Carpenter, someone would need to be more than a this-year's bandwagon-jumper. Not dissing bandwagon jumpers, by the way; the more the merrier.

This time, all the pieces are in place, on the field, and off the field, to seal the deal. I have a really good feeling about how things will turn out.