Tension in the Mariners front office

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
haroldseattle":3c00qmno said:
The Cano move is to little to late. Mariners should have signed Fielder a couple of years ago, instead of trading for Montero. The Cano deal had to be done for PR reasons, need to get those butts in the seats. The whole article just shows what a mess the front office is IMO and should of been reported years ago.

Anyone know of a good Mariner forum?
Try Mariner Central.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Uncle Si":19rsfq2q said:
Sports Hernia":19rsfq2q said:
If I'm not mistaken Howard Lincoln wasn't in the position of power that he current holds, until 2001ish......

He and Armstrong have pretty much run the show since 1993... I think he became ultimate leader in 2003?

Could be, I could be a year or 2 off when took over the CEO type position.

Hawker

Reaction score
"In Jack we trust." Boy do I feel like an idiot. He sure seemed like he had all the right ideas upon initial hire. I'm happy for Wedge - seemed like a humble guy in a bad spot trying to do right by his players.

Snohomie

Reaction score
Uncle Si":ype9v6zy said:
Scottemojo":ype9v6zy said:
It doesn't mean they are idiots. To my eye, it means they are desperate. If they accidentally outbid themselves, then they are idiots.

But mostly, it just appears that intellectual dishonest, and in the case of the guy accused of rape, actual dishonesty, is part of the way they do business. So thinking that the Cano move may be undone by some other crappy move is both kneejerk, but still likely accurate.

I guess I'm just all in on this because.... Well really what choice is there. It either blows up in our face and the end of Jack Z and Lincoln follow...or it works and we start winning games.

If poor personnel moves and losing would've gotten Howard and Chuck fired, they'd have been gone years ago.

As for change right now, absolutely. If not properly managed (ie not getting more pieces), the Cano deal won't be enough now and will be an anchor around our necks down the road. Do we really want to give these guys more time to offer deals that will hamstring the a competent FO (if/when we ever get one)?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":4rkejlr5 said:
Question.. Who fires Howard?

He's the CEO and (perhaps) majority owner of Nintendo. I believe owner who recently died had taken his majority stakes and handed them over in 2004.

Howard only goes if there is a major change at Nintendo, the Ms are sold, or he retires/passes on

hawk45

Reaction score
The suggestions and involvement by Lincoln and Armstrong by themselves don't necessarily constitute meddling. They demonstrate a desire to win at some level. But if you feel your manager is doing so poorly and missing so many of these obvious suggestions, then you probably hired the wrong guy and that's still on you.

Or (and this is sure what it sounds like was going on) the reason for incessant suggestions is that you've hired a crap GM who builds a farm system full of young guys not one of whom pop at the major league level, you haven't wanted to expand payroll so you can get proven players in to ease the young players in or increase their success, and so basically you've asked your manager to do the impossible, it's not working, and you somehow think the answer is to pester him to death with suggestions that amount to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Jack Z is no great shakes and that has been plenty obvious. The rest of the stuff about him throwing guys under the bus...eh...I mean it's interesting but the main thing to me is that he sucks at his job and needs to go.

As far as the Cano deal goes, yeah it's probably a desperation move but that doesn't mean I poo on it. ALL of these crazy deals become albatrosses down the road so that doesn't disqualify it. Cano is a legit superstar we overpaid like we have to do to get guys to Seattle, so what. We weren't spending anything anyways. The offense will be better. If they open the wallet again out of desperation and get another bat or two the offense might even be decent. I would definitely rather it not be Jack Z pulling the trigger on the deals but we can evaluate them as they happen.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
...and people still bother to support this "team".

Maybe they should take a look across the street and take a page from the 'hawks book on how to run a quality organization. I couldn't care less about this team, and won't until they blow everything up and start from scratch (excluding players that bust their ass for the city/fans).

My M's hate is still sitting on the rack, collecting dust, and hasn't been touched in a few years. I can't wait to actually wear it (I love the hat), but I can in no way support the bullshit that is the Seattle Mariners. I'll go to High School games down the street and gladly spend my money to support those kids. Plus it never hurts to get out of the house and watch crazy parents do their thing.

sutz

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":1yj41r98 said:
My M's hate is still sitting on the rack, collecting dust, and hasn't been touched in a few years.
Interesting typo there, or was it.....

;)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":1yizg75o said:
@Ken_Rosenthal: Just saw David Price's agent, Bo McKinnis. Asked if Price would consider extension with #Mariners. Said no.
Well that's that lol.

which is good for this club...

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
@JonHeymanCBS "taijuan walker looks untouchable, but mariners will consider trading top positional prospects for price, maybe even zunino"

Posted a while back, but I think it was obvious when a deal didn't get done for Price. Rays would've definitely taken a deal for Walker and a little more.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
No trading Tajuan. There is always going for the Japanese pitcher especially since they changed the posting system today.

rightbench

Reaction score
ok so I don't pretend to follow the Mariners anymore, although I did tirelessly when I was a kid living in auburn, but could all of the problems in the front office come from having an owner who never watched a baseball game that the Mariners played?

I'm not trying to ruin his memory, as the man clearly helped to save Seattle baseball, but it seems like so many other owners have their hands and eyes in all sorts of baseball operations, and here we have an obvious problem showing consistently, but there's no one above these guys to step in and make the necessary changes or at least put the fear of God in these guys to make things right.

Just a thought. Feel free to rip it to shreds now.