Front Office mind set

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
The way JS is doing contracts now with more front loaded contacts and not wanting to extend deals such as Nwosu and Lockette to get cap space I have been wondering if he has orders from above to keep the books as clean as possible perhaps for a upcoming sale or they are looking to trade or release the players in the near future

Last edited:

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
The Seattle Seahawks are a $5+ billion dollar organization. The current cap situation will have zero impact on the sale of the team.

Every team sets a cash/cap limit (or ratio) of how much cap hit they are willing to push into future years. Staying within this limit allows a team to consistently compete versus over spending its cash now that eventually must be recognized in future years as a cap hit.

Last edited:

ryank24

Reaction score
I’d have a hard time believing any conspiracy that Jody is sabotaging the current success of the team by restricting contracts in order to sell the team for more money. If anything, I would think going all-in right now and competing for a Super Bowl would increase the value of the team more than a bad cap situation would potentially decrease the value of the team.

Buying an NFL team is typically a long term investment, while cap problems are temporary and can be addressed over a relatively short period of time. There’s an extremely limited number of NFL teams, and not all are created equal. Market size, history, fan base, etc, all vary from team to team. Of all the things that could affect the sale price of an NFL team, current cap situation has to be down the list.

AgentDib

Reaction score
If you want to read the tea leaves then I'd say the timing of our moves looks like we've been trying to work out some extensions that lower our cap for a while now, but just haven't had encouraging results so far.

We can always restructure contracts whenever we want and in most cases don't even need the player's permission. There's not any urgency, but the reason to put it off is if we think we can still get some movement on potential extensions.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
If you want to read the tea leaves then I'd say the timing of our moves looks like we've been trying to work out some extensions that lower our cap for a while now, but just haven't had encouraging results so far.

We can always restructure contracts whenever we want and in most cases don't even need the player's permission. There's not any urgency, but the reason to put it off is if we think we can still get some movement on potential extensions.
Looks to me that Pete and John have adopted the approach of not doing anything cap-wise until they have to.

They don't need the cap space until it's time to sign their draft picks, which typically happens from late May to mid-June... and who they draft at what draft positions could affect which veterans they want to extend and for how long.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
They will have to maneuver a few contracts in order to sign their draft picks and also have some room to deal with injuries and PS guys into the season.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
The Seattle Seahawks are a $5+ billion dollar organization. The current cap situation will have zero impact on the sale of the team.

Every team sets a cash/cap limit (or ratio) of how much cap hit they are willing to push into future years. Staying within this limit allows a team to consistently compete versus over spending its cash now that eventually must be recognized in future years as a cap hit.
I agree with this. I think the reason for the short term contracts is because they want to remain flexible... they dont want to get stuck with contracts they cant get out of. I think they can get away with that because of the reputation of the team culture. I think in the future the Seahawks are not going to have an issue signing the FA they want because of the culture.

BASF

Reaction score
It could simply be that Carroll is thinking of retiring in a year or two and they want to have the new head coach (for you nepotism haters, it will probably be his son muah ha ha) to have the flexibility cap wise when it happens.

Donn2390

Reaction score
The way JS is doing contracts now with more front loaded contacts and not wanting to extend deals such as Nwosu and Lockette to get cap space I have been wondering if he has orders from above to keep the books as clean as possible perhaps for a upcoming sale or they are looking to trade or release the players in the near future
If the Hawks lose every game for the next three years, the team would still be worth 6 plus billion. In three years that figure could very well be 8 plus billion, so I doubt there is any concern for cost cutting.
Anyone looking to purchase a franchise is looking at the long run, the next 20-30 years. A sucky team can be turned around rapidly by a new owner, the hard part is purchasing a franchise, they are a rare commodity. No matter how bad a team is, there will be a bidding war.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
If you are looking to buy a house, are you really concerned that the current owners spent a few hundred dollars on curtains for the living room? A $10million dollar per year contract means almost nothing when compared to a $5billion dollar franchise purchase.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
We'll see some restructures and/or extensions after the draft, and before the bulk of the draftees are signed. There's no rush.