Robinson Cano has agreed to 10 years/$240 mill

akscoundrel

Reaction score
HawkFan72":30g66o07 said:
akscoundrel":30g66o07 said:
m0ng0":30g66o07 said:
name one piece of developing talent that we have lost by signing Cano?

Its only been how many minutes since we signed cano? And you're gonna ask this as if to prove a point? You could be right, and it all works out(I hope so), but looking back we will all probably be saying (well, the writing WAS on the wall).

I'm more so looking in the future when we can't sign the next arod because our budgets maxed.

You think we have or will have the next ARod somewhere in our organization? lol

Oh, so we're pretending that its never happened, nor can ever happen again?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
IMO, this has a grenade's chance of blowing up. Not because Cano is awful, career 309 hitter at Safeco. No, it's because I have an inherent mistrust of general managers who make a big splash to try and save their job. And make no mistake, Z's job is on the line.

Crizilla

Reaction score
lets get russell wilson to play for the m's during the nfl offseason ;)

HawkFan72

Reaction score
akscoundrel":3qne3tqj said:
HawkFan72":3qne3tqj said:
akscoundrel":3qne3tqj said:
m0ng0":3qne3tqj said:
name one piece of developing talent that we have lost by signing Cano?

Its only been how many minutes since we signed cano? And you're gonna ask this as if to prove a point? You could be right, and it all works out(I hope so), but looking back we will all probably be saying (well, the writing WAS on the wall).

I'm more so looking in the future when we can't sign the next arod because our budgets maxed.

I'm not pretending it didn't happen, I'm just not going to assume we'll have someone with that much talent in our farm system again in the next 10 years.

The Mariners offered ARod near $100 million, which at the time was a gigantic contract. The Rangers just went insane. Think about it. They offered ARod a deal that is normal NOW for the games best stars...over 12 YEARS ago. They WAY overpayed. That would be like us giving Cano a $400 million contract today if you want to compare the situations.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
This team has basically two big contracts and a bunch of peanuts around them. They actually can go spend another 50M and only have 110M in payroll or so.

Nick Franklin is getting traded, that's for sure. I'm hoping they sign Choo and trade for an outfielder (not Kemp), then trade more pieces for Price.

That would mean your opening day Ms look like:

C: Zunino
1B: Choo
2B: Cano
3B: Seager
SS: Miller
LF: ?
CF: ?
RF: ?
DH: ? (They seem to be chasing Napoli, and Morales isn't out of the question either)

SP: King Felix
SP: Price
SP: Iwakuma
SP: ? (Paxton, maybe?)
SP: ?

Not terrible. If we have to give up Walker, Franklin, Wilhelmsen, and Ackley in some combination to get Shields and an OF here, why the hell not? They're trying to win now, which should at least be interesting. I hated this move initially, but if we're going to do it, let's do it right.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Price is younger and a lefty, but depending on what we would be forced to give up I would be good with either.....

**also I don't see Willie in that starting lineup ** :D

Pick6

Reaction score
Outfield is a mess. They need to improve that before even thinking of trading for Price.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
HawkFan72":6eahubzr said:
akscoundrel":6eahubzr said:
HawkFan72":6eahubzr said:
akscoundrel":6eahubzr said:

I'm not pretending it didn't happen, I'm just not going to assume we'll have someone with that much talent in our farm system again in the next 10 years.

The Mariners offered ARod near $100 million, which at the time was a gigantic contract. The Rangers just went insane. Think about it. They offered ARod a deal that is normal NOW for the games best stars...over 12 YEARS ago. They WAY overpayed. That would be like us giving Cano a $400 million contract today if you want to compare the situations.

Its the way of the world, talent is continually growing up and getting signed. Arod isnt even the most recent, but Felix Hernandez.

Yes the rangers went insane about it, but atleast arod was young(er) with his best years ahead of him. Its kinda hard to compare the two contracts because of different times, factors such as age and whatnot, but imo we just went as obnoxious with the cano contract. Think about this; we just spent more than the biggest spenders in baseball were willing to pay. And he's not a young talent with his best years ahead of him.

All in all, I hope it works out. I just know history is against us, and can see the writing on the wall. I understand the optimism, and realize that we'd all be willing to crawl through a pile of poop just for a sliver of success at this point.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Tanaka is a crap shoot, no way to know how his "stuff" translates to the MLB, but yeah thats an option to explore as well.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
m0ng0":3c9tliu3 said:
Tanaka is a crap shoot, no way to know how his "stuff" translates to the MLB, but yeah thats an option to explore as well.

Fair point, but pitchers are a crap shoot in general just because their arms go out suddenly and without warning.

If we could run out Felix, Tanaka, Iwakuma, Walker, and Paxton next year, my pants would be sticky for 162 games.

m0ng0

Reaction score
yep I agree, but to quote oh brother where art thou.....Shields and Price are bonafide

Seaswab

Reaction score
People cry and bitch the Mariners don't spend money, then when they do, they cry and bitch it's too much and a waste. What the hell do they want? Justin Smoak batting cleanup again? Clowns like Miguel Olivo in the middle of the order? Get over yourselves. They went out and got the biggest Free Agent hitter available, give them some credit.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Seaswab":3j1hb4tv said:
People cry and bitch the Mariners don't spend money, then when they do, they cry and bitch it's too much and a waste. What the hell do they want? Justin Smoak batting cleanup again? Clowns like Miguel Olivo in the middle of the order? Get over yourselves. They went out and got the biggest Free Agent hitter available, give them some credit.

:th2thumbs:

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
I basically am at the point where I feel as though developing young players didn't work out, the nifty trades for undervalued guys like Gutierrez unfortunately did not work out, and the pieces at a modest price did not work out, so eff it, just break the bank and see what happens. They just got their new TV deal, so they have the money. Without stuff like this, they are aiming for being the fifth-most popular pro team in the city once the Nu-Sonics and hockey team are here in the next few years. They are well aware that the Seahawks and Sounders are smoking them.

It was spend to become relevant and try to win now or banish themselves to irrelevance, so at least they did the former.

Largent80

Reaction score
It cracks me up when people whine about money spent. It is market value and in this case more than market value. They needed to make this move to at least try and get the M's back to a playoff series. I am happy for M's fans.

Seaswab

Reaction score
How many 25 year old free agents are available? Tick , tock, tick, tock......

chris98251

Reaction score
Largent80":jzk67mp0 said:
It cracks me up when people whine about money spent. It is market value and in this case more than market value. They needed to make this move to at least try and get the M's back to a playoff series. I am happy for M's fans.

Again I agree supplementing the roster with select FA is necessary, just big contracts for a player for 10 years that will give you a return typically for 3 maybe 4 isn't a great idea.

Also playoffs, a winning season would be a good start.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seaswab":3gulk5rs said:

it is a bit unnerving though... i mean its a big contract, and as ak said, history is against us.

I just love the intent