49'ers pick up new QB, drop another

jblaze

Reaction score
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 16m

49ers claimed QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson off waivers from Vikings and, to make room for him, waived QB John Skelton.

Interesting.

12thMan1

Reaction score
Please post non Seahawk related info in the NFL Forum. Thanks

OP
OP
jblaze

jblaze

Reaction score
12thMan1":kx54drgn said:
Please post non Seahawk related info in the NFL Forum. Thanks

Gotcha. Mods please move this.

drdiags

Reaction score
Until the move, I will just ask the question. Why did they even sign Skelton? They have McCoy and he took the paycut when they brought in Wallace. If McCoy needs a random reminder that he needs to pick up his game in practice or the meeting room, maybe they should just cut him. I am sure there is a logical reason for this. Maybe they want to put Skelton on the PS, if he is eligible?

I am sure the local beat guys will expand on this once they speak to the organization.

Seeker

Reaction score
Please post any Skelton related football news in comedy section.

mikeak

Reaction score
This makes me ask about Daniels if anything. How bad was he to make room for these guys?..........

TriCHawk

Reaction score
I thought I read that they picked up Skelton because Harbaugh wanted more veteran presence. Honestly I've never heard of this Bethel guy.

drdiags

Reaction score
TriCHawk":14li55fy said:
I thought I read that they picked up Skelton because Harbaugh wanted more veteran presence. Honestly I've never heard of this Bethel guy.

He is 6' 3" 230 lbs and is quoted as being a strong-armed QB. He was with the 9ers in 2011 on their PS. Beat out a couple Vikings QBs for the 3rd position. Never heard of him either until now.

pehawk

Reaction score
The 49ers play the Cards this week, that's why they grabbed Skelton.

I like it...Harbaugh and the 49ers will begin to get a rep as shady.

Erebus

Reaction score
This move doesn't make sense. It doesn't fit their MO. I get why they signed Skelton - to get info on the Cards. But why this guy? They don't play the Vikings this year.

pehawk

Reaction score
I was half joking on Cards thing. Different regimes.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Didn't they get all defensive about the Skelton signing saying they wanted 2 veterans on the roster.

Weadoption

Reaction score
I swear Baalke is on some kind of a meth OCD change binge with backup qb's.
this one has a hyphenated name, cool.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
As I said before they probably grabbed these guys to scout Schaub and now Palmer.

I doubt Skelton would provide anything of value about Bruce Arian's Offense or Todd Bowle's Defense.

Its really about the 49ers' backs were against the wall, and they needed to do what was needed to prepare for the teams ahead, rather care about the potential on the back-end of their roster.

Schaub is 6-6, 243 pounds... Skelton is 6-6, 243 pounds. At least that's what they were at coming out of college and they possess similar athleticism with Skelton being better.

Palmer is 6-5, 235... Bethel-Thompson is 6-3, 230. Skelton looks to be more similar to Palmer physically but maybe Bethel-Thompson is more similar to Palmer mentally as a QB. Who knows, note that Bethel-Thompson spent time with 49ers as an undrafted free agent in 2011. Maybe its just a familiarity thing. They would know more than any of us.

Also in case if you're wondering, Colt McCoy is 6'1, 215. Coleman is Wilson's size. None of those players can emulate a 6-5+, 230+ QB.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
This seems pretty messed up of the 49ers FO. They only offered him a job because Tennessee was just about to sign him and then they cut the guy a week later. Now TN has moved on, and Skelton is unlikely to find another job this season. Totally jerked him around like they did Seneca.

kigenzun

Reaction score
McLeod Bethel-Thompson signed with the 49ers in 2011 as an UDFA.
He has bounced around alot in and out of arena leagues etc.
Started his college career at UCLA, but was a 3rd stringer. Finished at Sacramento State I believe.
This will be his 2nd stint with San Francisco.

kearly

Reaction score
mikeak":3h39u4n1 said:
This makes me ask about Daniels if anything. How bad was he to make room for these guys?..........

I'm guessing they cut Daniels because they expected him to clear waivers and make their PS.

Sometimes teams make dumb moves. It happens.