49'ers pick up new QB, drop another

60niners

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3n97rqtr said:
If Kaepernick misses any time they are screwed.
I'm thinking this is the source of all the movement at the QB position. They don't seem sold on McCoy as a backup and they seem extra cautious with Kap and his running. I think the Niners staff feel that if Kap goes down (something they're trying to prevent at all costs) they have no confidence in McCoy, and probably didn't have enough in Daniels either. I do know that they definitely wanted to keep Daniels though, but that's the risk of trying to put someone past the waivers.

Maybe I'm wrong though, and maybe they feel good enough about McCoy to fill-in in a pinch, and Bethel-Thompson is just for scouting and grooming. I haven't followed much football for the last few weeks unfortunately and am just trying to get back into the swing of things.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
There was a time when Harbaugh thought Alex Smith was a "safer" QB than Kaepernick despite what Kap flashed in pre-season. It was only an injury that ultimately forced his hand. To me, the McCoy/Skelton/Daniels decision mirrors that one, except that at least Smith is serviceable and worth something in this league. McCoy and Skelton are presently awful and have no upside. I agree with the Niners fans who were bewildered by the decision. Daniels showed something in pre-season, and honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he gave them a better chance than McCoy to win NOW. He could at least run the pistol stuff that's already installed in their offense, and Pete's already talking about how he's exceeded their expectations as a thrower.

Niners gambled and lost.

Latest posts