A sneak peek at a Harvin-esque play...?

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
So I'm re-watching the Panthers game and noticed a type of play that I think we will see quite often when Harvin gets back. In this case, it was a completion to Golden Tate (complete with his usual tackle breaking artistry).

For those that still have it recorded and care to check it out - with 3:51 left in the game, we have the ball on our own 29 1/2 yd line on 2nd and 8. We have trips left with Baldwin split wide, Tate in the slot and Sidney Rice in close to the hash marks. Tate motions into the backfield about 4-yards behind Carpenter, then on the snap runs a quick hook out of the backfield, taking the space on the field vacated by Rice who is running a clearout post. Tate makes an easy catch for a short gain, then breaks three tackles and turns it into a an 18-yard pick up for a clutch 1st down.

Great play design as it gives the ball to the receiver in space and is ideal for a guy like Tate .... and certainly Harvin. It's also the kind of "tree" play with many branches, so if defenses recognize it and start trying to defend it we can employ the read-option or running routes off it not to mention a variety of other passing options. Defenses will HAVE to account for Harvin every time in a situation like this...so it's pick your poison.

Harvin can't get on the field soon enough. The possibilities with him in the line-up are going to be incredible.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Good spot. I can't wait for Harvin to Getty on the field. I hope we can beat SF this week because with Harvin back I think we can beat SF in SF.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Having him back in the fold for that MNF game in St. Louis would be great. Would strain the Rams D in preparing as they have no film on him in our offense.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2pyssczl said:
This was the play that Brock used in his latest chalk talk.

Interestingly, he said this is the same play we used a bunch last year with Michael Robinson catching the ball out of the backfield.

here's the link:

http://mynorthwest.com/422/2351986/Chalk-Talk-Golden-Tate-helps-seal-Seahawks-win

Same route, not necessarily the same presnap look, I believe. Haven't watched the video yet, so I could be way off. I think it is a similar route combination as the play Robinson scored on in Washington.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'll tell you what, Harvin and Tate in the backfield together would scare the crap out of defenses! Those are two of the slipperiest players in the NFL. And having one block for the other...oh my my :)

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
I really can't wait to see Harvin on the field... But man I am starting to wonder how invested he is in this team? The more or less complete press blackout of his recovery is suspicious in and of itself. If you look at his website (percyharvin.com) it is still all done up in Vikings theme and absolutely no mention of the Seattle Seahawks. Just would be nice to see this guy on the sidelines or supporting the team somehow even though he isn't going to play.

I'm done.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1hkissll said:
Good spot. I can't wait for Harvin to Getty on the field. I hope we can beat SF this week because with Harvin back I think we can beat SF in SF.
I wouldn't disagree with that.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":2qx0923r said:
I really can't wait to see Harvin on the field... But man I am starting to wonder how invested he is in this team? The more or less complete press blackout of his recovery is suspicious in and of itself. If you look at his website (percyharvin.com) it is still all done up in Vikings theme and absolutely no mention of the Seattle Seahawks. Just would be nice to see this guy on the sidelines or supporting the team somehow even though he isn't going to play.

I'm done.
Better the silence then the daily press conferences like RG3. I figure he is shooting for a week 7 return.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I can easily see harvin in slot and Tate line up in the backfield. I would hate to have to setup a defense against that.

Latest posts