Seattle favored by 3 over Carolina

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":35v7rmgv said:
We shouldn't be. Carolina is a much better team now than the one we faced last season. We have key players that will/might not play. The oddsmakers are dumb here. JMO.
Unless that secondary suddenly morphs into something good and they suddenly find a 2nd/3rd WR we have nothing to worry about. That team still has 6-10 written all over them and Cam for all his athleticism still can't throw the ball with accuracy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3ggaqg68 said:
I never mentioned the SF line. Gore, however, is now on the wrong side of 30 and I think he's going to be remarkably less effective this year.

Maybe. Gore's stats are almost identical in 2011 and 2012, so don't really see where you're getting a drop off from, other than he's just a year older.

My point is don't expect a drubbing of the niners like last year at home. I still like us at home against ANYBODY, but make no mistake this game should be close.

As far as the Panthers game, I always hate road games to start the season, because even bad teams play like it's the Superbowl at home in game #1. So yeah, Carolina might end up 6-10, but they won't play like 6-10 until week #6. Week #1 with a full house, I expect this to be a very tough game.

Remember how we all thought we'd go down to Arizona and beat the crap out of a bad Cards team in week #1 last year?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":35d2glhz said:
Sarlacc83":35d2glhz said:
I never mentioned the SF line. Gore, however, is now on the wrong side of 30 and I think he's going to be remarkably less effective this year.

Maybe. Gore's stats are almost identical in 2011 and 2012, so don't really see where you're getting a drop off from, other than he's just a year older.

My point is don't expect a drubbing of the niners like last year at home. I still like us at home against ANYBODY, but make no mistake this game should be close.

As far as the Panthers game, I always hate road games to start the season, because even bad teams play like it's the Superbowl at home in game #1. So yeah, Carolina might end up 6-10, but they won't play like 6-10 until week #6. Week #1 with a full house, I expect this to be a very tough game.

Remember how we all thought we'd go down to Arizona and beat the crap out of a bad Cards team in week #1 last year?
But that was with a rookie quarterback on a tight leash and a divisonal game. All factors that made that game not at all comparable to the Carolina game. I figure it should be close with us winning by around 10 in the end.

C-Dub

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":311u6f40 said:
Sgt. Largent":311u6f40 said:
If Carolina was smart, they'd just run the ball down our throats with the makeshift D-Line we're going to have. Which also worries the hell out of me for week 2 if we don't start getting some of these guys back.

This would worry me more if DeAngelo Williams was any good and Stewart wasn't out. Same with Frank Gore and the 49ers.
This!

The only guys that scares me running the ball is Cam. Contain his running and force him to throw.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Id love to see Wilson have his biggest passing game as a hawk. 400+ yards and 4 TD's.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":24k3vt6s said:
Id love to see Wilson have his biggest passing game as a hawk. 400+ yards and 4 TD's.
Of course we would all love to see that, but will our offensive line give him three seconds for those routes to develop? Carolina's defense matches up very well against mobile QBs and they practice against an offense who's QB led the team in rushing last season.

plyka

Reaction score
grizbob":vr1tyqdu said:
This place is sounding eerily similar to a year ago :180670: :141847_bnono:

Luckily for us, it doesn't matter how this forum sounds, just how the team plays.

kearly

Reaction score
I'd probably put the odds at -1 Carolina. Seattle is statistically (DVOA) close to a dead average team on the road, plays worse than that at 10 am, and Carolina is riding a 4 game winning streak from the end of last season. Their weighted DVOA defense ranked 12th last season after finishing dead last year prior. They finished the year on a bit of a roll on defense and that was before they drafted two promising DTs in the draft to shore up their defense's biggest weakness. If you've watched Luke Kuechly play, particularly this preseason, you know how much of a monster he's becoming.

By contrast, Seattle is hobbled and stumbling a bit. They will be starting their 4th and 5th string pass rushers on the ends. We probably have the best #4 and #5 options in the league, but still, these guys were considered roster fringe less than a month ago. Russell Wilson has shown different varieties of rust in each preseason game so far.

Carolina's run defense ranked 11th last season and that was without Star Lotulelei and Jon Beason, who are both outstanding run defenders. I hope Pete has the brains to be more pass oriented in this game- Carolina's pass defense is merely average but their run defense could be a problem. Very similar to the situation in Miami last year.

Our saving grace is that Cam Newton struggled last season and hasn't gotten better this preseason. Carolina's running game (sans Newton) was a joke even before they lost Stewart. Barring injury our run defense looks special. Shutting out Carolina's offense is a real possibility, although it's worth noting that Seattle actually lost a game last season against a team that didn't score an offensive touchdown, and they nearly lost two more against teams that scored 14 points or less. Also, our defense had most of their worst performances in 10 starts am last season.

Sure, those were early season games before Wilson clicked, but Wilson hasn't looked like he's in mid-season form this preseason and is making uncharacteristic mistakes. Teams have figured out how to make Wilson uncomfortable with interior pressure, delayed blitzing and gap-controlling D-lineman. It's up to Wilson and Bevell to prove they can adjust. I think they will eventually, but immediately? That would surprise me.

I do think our offense is going to be amazing this year, but it could hit a bump at Carolina since Wilson is struggling and even the best run games tend to hit a wall against very good run defenses. And if the penalties show up like they did in the preseason, I would almost expect an ugly loss.

IMO, this is the toughest game of the season. 10am, summer heat, under-rated team that matches up well against us, SF the week after, week 1 which is upset central, Wilson not looking quite like himself, and then key injuries.

If we lose, I won't be surprised and I won't take it any harder than if we lost at Atlanta or SF. This is going to be a TOUGH game to win unless Seattle plays mistake free, which they haven't been, lately. I'd give Seattle probably a 45% chance to win. It's a huge game, especially if Carolina becomes a WC contender later this season, but if we do lose I'd count it as a losable game that we didn't win.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I disagree, I wouldn't look at Wilson's preseason as an indication of rust. More likely is Wilson working without Lynch for most of his time, Robinson and Miller out, and Rice as well on the outside. Getting everyone on the same page is the bigger issue and one that shouldn't hinder the offense once Miller and Lynch are back.

I'm only really concerned about missing Clemons and Irvin on defense, but even without them people are forgetting Bennett who has plenty of experience against Newton at the line of scrimmage. Also, Wagner is playing so much better than this time last season I feel pretty confident against the Carolina offense without our best pass rushers. I'd feel a lot better with Irvin back though but Clemons isn't officially out just yet, not a time to think Carolina is going to clobber us.

This is probably going to look more like the Chicago game from Pete's first season when our team went in and manhandled Cutler with blitzes and stunts. Also, I don't believe Newton has the patience to take what the D gives him and will try an create a big play right of the bat or force throws to Smith all day, playing right into the hands of Seattle's secondary. I guess we'll find out pretty soon though.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
kearly":13gn38vm said:
I'd probably put the odds at -1 Carolina. Seattle is statistically (DVOA) close to a dead average team on the road, plays worse than that at 10 am,
We only played slightly worse at 10am on the road compared to 1pm and later on the road last year, though. (2.025%)

@Arizona: -16.8%
@St. Louis (10am): 12.8%
@Carolina: 57.5%
@San Francisco: 4.9%
@Detroit (10am): 23.4%
@Miami (10am): -3.1%
@Chicago (10am): 40.4%
@Buffalo: 36.0%

Average DVOA on the road, 1pm and later: 20.4%
Average DVOA on the road at 10am: 18.375%

I think the 10am thing is dead and gone with us, and I think this year will demonstrate that. It was basically irrelevant last year, and we're a better team in 2013.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I just cannot allow myself to believe that this team, which has prepared the way it has all offseason, is capable of starting off the 2013 campaign with an 'L'.

They have worked too hard and visualized too many great things to disappoint at the opening gun.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Cartire":1nhppw5n said:
Spending 10 hours ..... Only you, iRo, would go into such Hyperbole.
It wasn't hyperbole. What I posted, I manually added up from looking at the games; and that took a bit of time for one team. I've never heard of teamrankings.com, the sites I normally go to for stats don't have half-based stats like that. (PFF and FO)

Cartire":1nhppw5n said:
Now please, enlighten me with your all powerful brain, are we really "slow" to start?
Those links prove what I asserted, we started SLOWER than we finished based on half, overall. Even a million miles an hour is slower than 2 million. It can still be slow comparatively, junior. For instance, a 3-3 start to the season is slow, or bad, for the Patriots; but fast, or good, for the Browns. Comprehend, yet?

Thanks for that site, I plan to add it to my repertoire; but you need to understand that you just proved me right.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I think the 10am thing is dead and gone with us, and I think this year will demonstrate that. It was basically irrelevant last year, and we're a better team in 2013.
I certainly agree with this.

Cartire

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":ehjuuwr0 said:
Cartire":ehjuuwr0 said:
Spending 10 hours ..... Only you, iRo, would go into such Hyperbole.
It wasn't hyperbole. What I posted, I manually added up from looking at the games; and that took a bit of time for one team. I've never heard of teamrankings.com, the sites I normally go to for stats don't have half-based stats like that. (PFF and FO)

Cartire":ehjuuwr0 said:
Now please, enlighten me with your all powerful brain, are we really "slow" to start?
Those links prove what I asserted, we started SLOWER than we finished based on half, overall. Even a million miles an hour is slower than 2 million. It can still be slow comparatively, junior. For instance, a 3-3 start to the season is slow, or bad, for the Patriots; but fast, or good, for the Browns. Comprehend, yet?

Thanks for that site, I plan to add it to my repertoire; but you need to understand that you just proved me right.

I proved nothing but your subjectiveness. You say slow, because we are slower then the second half. The only other option is faster then the second half and then you would say, we need to finish out games faster (oh, and I know the third choice of a completely even count on both sides, not going to happen). That why you cant compare to the second half, you compare to the average of a constant. Your logic is flawed. And dont try to pretend its not. Its ok to be wrong once in awhile Roland.

We dont start games slow compared to the normal game from a normal team. We start faster then that. I dont care if were slower then the 2nd half, because its not relative. One side has to be greater.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Car, your grammar reflects your ability to contemplate this subject.

I guess starting off spotting 20 points to Atlanta and 14 points to Washington weren't slow starts, either. Whatever you say, dude.

Cartire

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":11rwh0lk said:
Car, your grammar reflects your ability to contemplate this subject.

I guess starting off spotting 20 points to Atlanta and 14 points to Washington weren't slow starts, either. Whatever you say, dude.

Nice, introducing the strawman.

iRo, the Grammar nazi, will save the day. Your argument must be wrong because your grammar says so.

You chose two outliers (weren't you just the one in your own stats that called AZ, Buf, and SF outliers) and thats your basis. I love it.

Roland, the man who can never admit hes wrong. Stay strong brother. Were all rooting for you.

pehawk

Reaction score
The grammar thing is SOOOOO DEAD and over with. We get it Roland...we all get it...you prefer proper spelling and punctuation. We all assume you're ticked off about grammar now, really, you waste time posting it.

WE GET IT!!!

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":1mxnw3a2 said:
I certainly agree with this.

Not sure why you would think the 10am thing is dead and gone considering the very last game this team played was at 10am and they started it like crap