The National Media's Protecting of Andrew Luck

SeaTown81

Reaction score
So golden child Andrew Luck has his worst game as a pro and his Colts get stomped by the Rams last week. That happens.

And what response do we get from the national media? I'm watching NFL Live today and they're talking about how poor his o-line played last week and how he's tied for 3rd most sacks the past few weeks. One of the analysts says "It doesn't matter how good a qb you are. If you don't get protection, you can't succeed."

I'm sorry. But this drives me insane.

I'm not saying Luck sucks or anything of the kind. He's awesome. He's great. But we've all seen the sort of reaction that our guy gets when he puts up less than stellar stats thanks to getting bum rushed an entire game. He gets the blame. Nobody says a thing about his o line. It's all about how he didn't throw for over 300 yards and only had 1 td. We read articles about how he's "struggling" and how defenses are adjusting to him. When we as Hawks fans who actually watch the games know good and well the magical job he pulls off just to get the stats he does. They don't even watch his performances. They just look at stat lines.

And the anointed one, Luck, has a bad game and the media can't rush to his defense and attack his o line fast enough. It's disgusting to watch. The national media is so predicable and lazy. It makes me want to throw up all over myself. I know this is nothing new. Luck is the new Favre. And will be for long enough that we all have to get in line and learn to deal with it. But it's maddening to witness unfold. We never had a qb who was nearly equal to Favre, to make us cringe even more at the national media's love affair with him. Now we do. And it is beyond obnoxious.

Polaris

Reaction score
I'm afraid I have to agree with this. Try to imagine if....say....Tampa Bay....had come in and instead of Seattle's historic comeback, Russell Wilson had played like Andrew Luck did, and we got blown out of the Clink.

Can you imagine what the national reaction would have been? The negative bombardment of Wilson and the 'hawks would be so intense that the entire PNW would glow in the dark afterwards.

homerun1970

Reaction score
I am hoping Luck is the new Manning Mr. clutch until the end of regular season. That team had too much talent to finish last in the luck sweepstakes may karma make them the bridesmaid for years again.

OrFan

Reaction score
They pretty much have to defend him at this point. After proclaiming him the second coming of Manning, and hanging their hat on that story line, they have to stay with the stupid looking one, good play or bad.

A London Hawk

Reaction score
I thought I'd posted in this thread, clearly I didn't. Anyway..

One thing I've noticed is where last year they were talking about Luck and RGIII, this year it's Luck and Wilson in the same sentence.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
its so bad they came up with some BS stat on the pre game tonight, saying that if Luck wins his next 4 our of 6 games he'll be the fastest to 20 wins by a QB. uhh, losers, Wilson already has 20 wins.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":hb6z6t6e said:
its so bad they came up with some BS stat on the pre game tonight, saying that if Luck wins his next 4 our of 6 games he'll be the fastest to 20 wins by a QB. uhh, losers, Wilson already has 20 wins.

Did they really say that? Wow :facepalm:

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I was watching in my office with no DVR to rewind to double check what i heard. Maybe someone else heard it and can confirm.

Polaris

Reaction score
-The Glove-":cdjbxkgz said:
Chukarhawk":cdjbxkgz said:

Did they really say that? Wow :facepalm:

NFL Hypnotist: "Don't pay attention to that irrelevant QB on that irrelevant team in Seattle. Luck is the best QB ever. Luck is the Crown Prince of the NFL."

Polaris

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":nokvoqnu said:
I was watching in my office with no DVR to rewind to double check what i heard. Maybe someone else heard it and can confirm.

I recall hearing something like it during the Indy-Texans game. Couldn't believe it.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
The difference is the majority of the national media is waiting for Luck to succeed vs. waiting for Wilson to fail. The reason for this is both of those scenario's would prove them all right and that is really what matters to most of them.

GCrow

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":7tla9syp said:

Yup when Eisen said that I immediately threw my arms up like WTF? I try to ignore this stuff and know it shouldn't bother me but I was like come on...

(Though I believe the stat was regular season wins, so after Russellmania runs wild over the Vikings this Sunday he will be the first)

OrFan

Reaction score
I would love it if Tenn. would beat the Colts tonight, but there is basically no chance with Pickspatrick at qb. Looks like they will be able to slobber all over splotchy neck hair again.

hawk45

Reaction score
The Luck nut swinging is disgraceful. I echo the sentiment that Luck is a stud, but I also echo the sentiment that he's treated totally differently from our stud, by reason of pedigree alone.

I like Luck but hate the Colts for their tank job and hope fervently all their moves turn out like the Richardson move. Nice work Colts front office, burn a first round pick for dog crap.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
GCrow":1fmygrxs said:
Chukarhawk":1fmygrxs said:

Yup when Eisen said that I immediately threw my arms up like WTF? I try to ignore this stuff and know it shouldn't bother me but I was like come on...

(Though I believe the stat was regular season wins, so after Russellmania runs wild over the Vikings this Sunday he will be the first)

He's already the first if its regular sesosn wins. 11 wins last season and 9 so far this season

GCrow

Reaction score
-The Glove-":3nneylvk said:
GCrow":3nneylvk said:
Chukarhawk":3nneylvk said:

He's already the first if its regular sesosn wins. 11 wins last season and 9 so far this season

Shoot right, don't know why the heck I was thinking 'Hawks only won 10 games last year...knew I shoulda looked that up.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
SeaTown81":16gstyw7 said:
So golden child Andrew Luck has his worst game as a pro and his Colts get stomped by the Rams last week. That happens.

And what response do we get from the national media? I'm watching NFL Live today and they're talking about how poor his o-line played last week and how he's tied for 3rd most sacks the past few weeks. One of the analysts says "It doesn't matter how good a qb you are. If you don't get protection, you can't succeed."

I'm sorry. But this drives me insane.

I'm not saying Luck sucks or anything of the kind. He's awesome. He's great. But we've all seen the sort of reaction that our guy gets when he puts up less than stellar stats thanks to getting bum rushed an entire game. He gets the blame. Nobody says a thing about his o line. It's all about how he didn't throw for over 300 yards and only had 1 td. We read articles about how he's "struggling" and how defenses are adjusting to him. When we as Hawks fans who actually watch the games know good and well the magical job he pulls off just to get the stats he does. They don't even watch his performances. They just look at stat lines.

And the anointed one, Luck, has a bad game and the media can't rush to his defense and attack his o line fast enough. It's disgusting to watch. The national media is so predicable and lazy. It makes me want to throw up all over myself. I know this is nothing new. Luck is the new Favre. And will be for long enough that we all have to get in line and learn to deal with it. But it's maddening to witness unfold. We never had a qb who was nearly equal to Favre, to make us cringe even more at the national media's love affair with him. Now we do. And it is beyond obnoxious.

At least Favre was actually really really good.