Colts are protected posers

Seeker

Reaction score
Sorry to start a flame war but after watching the colts/broncos game last night I have realized what I hate about the indy and specifically luck.

Luck is a great athlete and genius quarterback, but I challenge any of you to actually watch a Colts game and show me a scoring drive by luck that wasn't accompanied by a timely drive sustaining flag.

I went back and watched the game in full, then the seahawks game, then the niners game and from those three games alone this guy gets an average of 6 downs a drive (6 DOWNS!!) the one game where he went down to the normal 3 - 4? the game against the chargers.

You can always tell when the league has their "chosen ones"
if Luck (who is way taller and heavier than Russ) got hit half as much as Wilson, in or out of the pocket there would be laundry all over the field every play.

Would LOVE to see these posers in the big game in new York (to keep it hawks related). how do you think this game would go down in a rematch?

Largent80

Reaction score
With all the technology available in this world, I do not understand why there are refs and umpires. They could put a camera on every player and let a computer figure it out. It would take a helluva software development to get that program up, but I am sick of watching phantom balls, strikes and P.I.

They get a lot of calls right, but so many bad or wrong calls.

I don't buy into the conspiracy theory though.

OP
OP
Seeker

Seeker

Reaction score
of all the sports in the world football is the easiest to influence with referees. you can totally erase one play due to a call and it will only be called "controversial"
Bill Simmons made a comment about how there have been 10 worse calls than the fail mary since the fail mary and no one has said a peep because these are the real refs.
to the NFL credit they tried to have full time refs with training and that is part of where the strike came from.

Largent80

Reaction score
When the "real" refs came back, they immediately transformed into their replacement counterparts.

Polaris

Reaction score
Largent80":b38w3uw3 said:
When the "real" refs came back, they immediately transformed into their replacement counterparts.

No, they morphed into a worse version of their replacement counterparts IMO. Yes the replacement refs were incompetant, but we could honetly say (and see on the field) that it was blind incompetance, and that their calls (good or bad) would not favor any given team or player.

I can't say the same about the regular officials.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
What annoys me about the Colts:

1. Massively irritating owner

2. Unbelievable fortune that after years of Peyton Manning, the one year he gets injured they end up with Andrew Luck in return

3. Just seem like a really half arsed fan base

Polaris

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1sya0qns said:
2. Unbelievable fortune that after years of Peyton Manning, the one year he gets injured they end up with Andrew Luck in return

I hear this! The Colts go through a huge string of 10+ win seasons (most of the 2000s iirc) and then Peyton is out for a single year and they are the worst team in the NFL (2 wins I think) and get Luck.....and then immediately have 11 wins the next year and likely will meet or exceed that this year.

I have to wonder if Indy really did "suck for Luck" in the 2011 season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seeker":3072hlps said:
Luck is a great athlete and genius quarterback, but I challenge any of you to actually watch a Colts game and show me a scoring drive by luck that wasn't accompanied by a timely drive sustaining flag.

How bout the drive with a 70 yard catch by T.Y. Hilton against the Hawks. That was a pretty good drive.

Your premise is absurd, the Colts are a very dangerous team. As evidence by them beating the Hawks, 49'ers and Broncos this year............all three of the supposed Superbowl favorites in 2013.

I still like our Hawks on a neutral field, but don't kid yourself, the Colts are for real.

nsport

Reaction score
I'm not going to poo poo the refs that much.

I think the main problem is the consistency of calls. If holding is called a certain way, then keep it the same throughout the game and on both sides. Same for PI's, defensive holding, late hits, continuation on fumbles, early/late calls on whether a player is down on a turnover, etc. It's most frustrating when something happens and you just saw the same thing on the other teams previous possession as a no-call.

- Now on to Peyton Manning -

Sad to say, Irsay is right, not about Peyton Manning, but about his overall team. That team had an embarrassment of riches during that decade+ and did little with it but win regular season games. It reminds me of the George Karl era here in Seattle, they would dominate teams in the regular season but could do little against playoff opponents. I will never forget the Denver Nuggets beating our team that should have won the title. Irsay's comments were spot on, but misinterpreted that they were just about Manning. That being said, Manning (if so great) should have been the x-factor to get deeper in the playoffs during that era and may be unfairly pedestaled as a savior, when in fact he showed last night that he is not really a gamer when it counts. This has always been his bugaboo, even back in Tennessee. Tom Brady can thank Peyton for his multiple rings!

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
nsport":1n3pxnf3 said:
I'm not going to poo poo the refs that much.

I think the main problem is the consistency of calls. If holding is called a certain way, then keep it the same throughout the game and on both sides. Same for PI's, defensive holding, late hits, continuation on fumbles, early/late calls on whether a player is down on a turnover, etc. It's most frustrating when something happens and you just saw the same thing on the other teams previous possession as a no-call.

I agree with your premise somewhat in that I would love to see more consistancy or neutrality from the refs, but the game itself changes from beginning to end. There are swings in momentum, frustration by players, etc. that alters the fabric of a given game. The players don't necessarily act the same so it's hard to believe the refs don't either; it's human nature. I'm no fan of the refs but it's also hard to ignore this fact.

ivotuk

Reaction score
The referees have a lot of power now, and because they have been around a long time, they feel like they are owed and untouchable. They can thank one particular referee for their current good fortune.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":acjjhkc3 said:

We all know they tanked it on purpose to get Luck that is why I can never root for them and I don't respect that franchise.

OP
OP
Seeker

Seeker

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3atvmhzj said:
Seeker":3atvmhzj said:

How bout the drive with a 70 yard catch by T.Y. Hilton against the Hawks. That was a pretty good drive.
there was a penalty on that one. i'm not by my notes (at work) but I will double check tonight.

Vpk0718

Reaction score
Seeker":tsuel6my said:
the one game where he went down to the normal 3 - 4? the game against the chargers.

You mean the game where his receivers dropped multiple first down passes and ruined pretty much every potential scoring drive?

Not buying it. The only thing I buy is that NFL refs are terrible overall.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
The flop last night by Luck was just ridiculous.

Yea, the idiot bumped him, but the flop afterwards was so dramatic and fake. Can't believe the ref threw the flag on it.

C'mon Luck. :roll:

X3syHee

Kixkahn

Reaction score
The NBA had a crap load of similar situations where a player touched exaggerated the response. I quit watching mostly because of that along with no more sonics. I did hear rumor last year that the players that do that are starting to get fined. The over acting along with the inconsistency are killing multiple sports.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seeker":2s4rhfjp said:
Sgt. Largent":2s4rhfjp said:
Seeker":2s4rhfjp said:

there was a penalty on that one. i'm not by my notes (at work) but I will double check tonight.

You take notes? LOL.

You guys are right, the Colts have no business winning any of their games. It's all the refs. 27-7 @ the 49'ers, that was all the refs.

The Radish

Reaction score
You do remember the Seahawks got to the red zone 4 times and got one TD, they rest of the time Field Goals?

I think that had a lot to do with the loss.

Other than that I thought our guys were superior in every way. Got careless once on that play to Hilton and didn't perform in the red zone.

:les:

nsport

Reaction score
The Radish":275zs04w said:
You do remember the Seahawks got to the red zone 4 times and got one TD, they rest of the time Field Goals?

I think that had a lot to do with the loss.

Other than that I thought our guys were superior in every way. Got careless once on that play to Hilton and didn't perform in the red zone.

:les:

Recipe to beat Manning and other teams, have great man-to-man db's and a solid pass rush.

Oh, by the way, our Seahawks are 6-1 with that recipe - and the Colts have beaten three EXCELLENT teams.

drdiags

Reaction score
Anybody can be a poser, depends on the perception of the person judging them. I don't agree and I am not going to go look at every Colts game to dispute the claim. At this point the criticism seems inaccurate but only time will tell if the labeling has any validity.

Latest posts