Spot On 49er Analysis

nsport

Reaction score
Believe it - a coherent post at 49erswebzone.com. This is exactly what I said in the off season - and it's coming true on the field this year as expected. Love it when it comes from one of their own...

Source: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niner ... ases-game/

Let's be honest...we have major problems in every phase of the game, and most of it should have been avoided.

DEFENSE:
• Our secondary is terrible. Not just bad, terrible. They were getting TORCHED last year, and we made it to the Superbowl despite giving up massive points, because our new offense caught a lot of teams off-guard and scored enough to overcome our awful defense. Improving the secondary should have been job #1. All we did is get Reid (good start), a discarded Nnamde Ahhellnah, and Craig Dahl. That will NOT get it done. We're left with a bunch of JV scrubs who are totally unable to cover anyone one on one. Opposing teams have wide receivers open all over the field.
• Our linebackers are majorly overrated. They became "pro-bowlers" when our defensive line was playing outstanding, allowing our linebackers to fly around and make big plays. Now that our defensive line is not what it used to be, our linebackers are being exposed, big time. Patrick Willis can't even shed blocks from little running backs. There's no fierceness, no urgency. These guys were never in the same class as Pro-Bowlers like Ray Lewis, Clay Matthews, James Harrison, etc. That's become abundantly clear now.
• Our defensive line is just not what it used to be. Tough time stopping the run. Tough time getting pressure on the corner back. Tough times period.
• Our schemes are often terrible. We telegraph 2-deep zones at the wrong times, never blitz when we should, just awful stuff.
OFFENSE:
• We have a bunch of receivers who should not be in the NFL. Kyle Williams can hardly catch, inexplicably falls down when he does, and is a train wreck receiving kicks. Marlon Moore is Marlon Less. Nobody is sweating Jon Baldwin, Chris Harper and Quinton Patton. This is another area — like the secondary — that should have been taken seriously in the offseason. Signing Boldin was a good start, even though he has been unable to get open the last two games. The return of Vernon Davis and Crabtree will help, but it might be too late. Who is our slot receiver? Who is our deep threat?
• The running game has run into a wall. Gore is great running through traffic, but even he can't run through a wall of unblocked lineman and linebackers. LameMichael James was great in college, but he is not a Pro running back. He runs in circles not forward. Not sure why he is not utilized as a kick returner and situational back who catches out of the backfield where he can operate in the open, like Sproles.
• The play calling and approach on offense is really suspect.

SPECIAL TEAMS:
• Terrible. Maybe the worst in the NFL with punt and kick-off return. Their performance in the Colts game was an embarrassment .

PSYCHE:
• This team believed all the hype about itself. They go into Seattle dismissing the opponent the "Shehawks", and summarily get their tails kicked. They needed the Seahawks asswhooping as a wake-up call, and the Colts drubbing as proof that the Seahawks game was no fluke. We'll now see if this team has the heart and will of a champion. I don't think they do, but I will be glad to surprised. Right now, I see no fire and no pride. It's too bad that guys like Frank Gore and Justin Smith have to play with teammates that fold like lawn chairs. They deserve better, and so do the fans.

davidonmi

Reaction score
ehh this too far, but wow. He's probably getting torched and being told they have 5 SB's by other 49er fans.

OP
OP
nsport

nsport

Reaction score
They're now rationalizing that Alex Smith, aka "Captain Checkdown" would solve these problems... it's classic. Kaepernick, once considered a perennial all-pro is no relegated to "if he could just check down, everything will be ok" - this is very laughable.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I think this was better analysis...

Originally posted by Chico:
Entire team sucks! Offense, defense, special teams...they need to get their sh*t together or watch the Seahawks play SB 50 in our house!

shiva1008

Reaction score
I expect the Niners to bounce back, now that they're hitting the weaker part of their schedule, and maybe sneak in for a wild card.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Said it in the off-season and I'll say it again now:

The nfl has tape on Kaepernick now. Ravens and Seahawks showed how to shut that offense down and Gore doesn't have enough left in the tank to scare anyone.

Rams will take the wild card.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
shiva1008":2h6gpvqa said:
I expect the Niners to bounce back, now that they're hitting the weaker part of their schedule, and maybe sneak in for a wild card.

More likely your namesake wreaks havoc on your team and they miss out on the playoffs.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
HansGruber":244dwb9a said:

The nfl has tape on Kaepernick now. Ravens and Seahawks showed how to shut that offense down and Gore doesn't have enough left in the tank to scare anyone.

Not if they have to play teams outside the division.

Right now, if we assume the 49ers don't get the WC, my bets would be whichever of the Bears/Packers and Saints/Falcons combos that don't win their divisions.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
nsport":3ptm2rns said:
Believe it - a coherent post at 49erswebzone.com. This is exactly what I said in the off season - and it's coming true on the field this year as expected. Love it when it comes from one of their own...

LOL. It's the first and only post from someone who registered the week before the Hawks game and was trying to pick an old school 9er for their username but apparently forgot that Keena Turner's last name isn't "Allen" (the chargers rookie WR, not the 9ers former player and current VP of Football Affairs).

No idea if it's someone from here or not, but it's obviously someone trolling, not "one of their own."

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
volsunghawk":lynxdwe9 said:
HansGruber":lynxdwe9 said:

Right now, if we assume the 49ers don't get the WC, my bets would be whichever of the Bears/Packers and Saints/Falcons combos that don't win their divisions.
Agreee though Atl better get their shit together soon. GB too. I think the Falcons will but not the Pack. Too crappy on D.

hawker84

Reaction score
Well it's not like he was completely inaccurate.. Not sure how you would call that post trolling, just because he's pointing out legitimate flaws that no one over there wants to hear or acknowledge...

volsunghawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2c2uij0s said:
volsunghawk":2c2uij0s said:
HansGruber":2c2uij0s said:

Agreee though Atl better get their shit together soon. GB too. I think the Falcons will but not the Pack. Too crappy on D.

I've got plenty of questions about the Pack and Falcons both, but the Falcons already have a win over the Rams, and I don't think that the Rams have looked any better than the Packers have this season. I've got more faith in the Packers offense compensating for a terrible D than I do in any Rams unit.

HansGruber

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3qqvscky said:
HansGruber":3qqvscky said:

Great point. I should have clarified that the rams will probably be second in the west, but that may not be good enough for a wild card.

Although, I don't see Green Bay taking it. Their defense is terrible and Rodgers has been struggling. Watched the Cincinnati game and it wasn't nearly as close as the score suggests. Rodgers was terrible. Killed my fantasy team this week. That offensive line is not protecting him, looks to have real problems. Don't think they'll win more than 9 games

HansGruber

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1jvsjdc7 said:
hawksfansinceday1":1jvsjdc7 said:
volsunghawk":1jvsjdc7 said:
HansGruber":1jvsjdc7 said:

I've got plenty of questions about the Pack and Falcons both, but the Falcons already have a win over the Rams, and I don't think that the Rams have looked any better than the Packers have this season. I've got more faith in the Packers offense compensating for a terrible D than I do in any Rams unit.

I dunno. Rams look better on both lines. Bradford is getting more time to throw but doesn't have many weapons to throw to. Rams defense is getting pressure and secondary is noticeably better than Green Bay. They're young so a bit inconsistent, but I think they'll get on a groove and win 10 games, which will be enough to knock off the Niners and Packers.

Atlanta is good but that division is better than people think, not sure they'll get more than 10 wins.

Of course, anything can happen.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
shiva1008":31e22n0c said:

Yeah, after the first five weeks the 9ers schedule gets much, much easier. Since before the season I've been saying that I'm hoping for 3-2 but won't panic if they're at 2-3. That said though, they've looked really out of sync and feckless for the last two weeks. I was expecting losses but not losses this lopsided. 9ers fans definitely have good reason to be concerned.

Largent80

Reaction score
You may think the schedule gets easier, however, the league changes from week to week. What once would be thought to be an easy game 3 weeks from now may be a LOT harder when that time comes around.

Plus, you have to go all the way to England to play a game....

Glad I am not you. Unless you really are Popeye, tappin Olive Oyl.

hawker84

Reaction score
Sorry couldn't resist: :mrgreen:

Sunday after the loss to Indy:

We had a two season run and now we are back to the losing ways. We will get beat on Thursday. 1-3 here were go. I am on the phone right now calling the 49ers to get a REFUND for my season tickets. Not wasting my Sundays anymore watching CRAP football.

Maybe Harbaugh and Kaepernick should STOP making commercials and get in the damn FILM room and study. I am truly embarrassed to be a 49er fan at this point and will not support LOSING!

Oh, a turnover as a write this... Embarrassing.
:rofl: :icon_jig: :49ersmall:

Latest posts