49ers absolutely do NOT have a quarterback

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
As a 49er fan, loved the win, but they won in spite of Gabbert, not because of him. Yes, he made a couple plays, but he left so many easy throws on the field. Both lines are better. Hyde is healthy (so far). Bowman is more removed from the injury. Ward at CB is an upgrade. Bethae is back. So they are improved in those areas over last year.

But this team is going NOWHERE. Without a real quarterback they are never going to breach the 7-9 wall. Unfortunately, they are good enough talent-wise to win 6 or seven games I think. Fortunately, they have a very difficult schedule. So maybe they'll have a shot at drafting a real quarterback.

But until they do, they'll just be a long term rebuilding project.

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":2375yz2d said:
As a 49er fan, loved the win, but they won in spite of Gabbert, not because of him. Yes, he made a couple plays, but he left so many easy throws on the field. Both lines are better. Hyde is healthy (so far). Bowman is more removed from the injury. Ward at CB is an upgrade. Bethae is back. So they are improved in those areas over last year.

But this team is going NOWHERE. Without a real quarterback they are never going to breach the 7-9 wall. Unfortunately, they are good enough talent-wise to win 6 or seven games I think. Fortunately, they have a very difficult schedule. So maybe they'll have a shot at drafting a real quarterback.

You don't necessarily have to have a bad record to get a good QB in the draft next year. I know this one guy that was taken in the 3rd round a few years back........he's decent. :irishdrinkers:

b8rtm8nn

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1r9y2686 said:

Chip Kelly has won games with Nick Foles and Mark Sanchez. Chip now has a DC better than Billy Davis, who probably cost them 2 games in Philly. I actually have a higher expectation than you for them this year. Strange.

OP
OP
5_Golden_Rings

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
RobDaHawk":32mo5ijv said:
5_Golden_Rings":32mo5ijv said:

You don't necessarily have to have a bad record to get a good QB in the draft next year. I know this one guy that was taken in the 3rd round a few years back........he's decent. :irishdrinkers:
True. Also Montana and Brady. But christ Gabbert is bad. The only thing that makes him not absolutely terrible is that he can move and pick up first downs with his legs, but he doesn't do it like the typical scrambling QB who takes too many sacks. Other than that trait, he is freaking remedial.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
It could be worse.

You could've just mortgaged the future for your third string QB.

But hey -- at least the Rams have a punter who can throw :lol:

Laloosh

Reaction score
All QB woes aside, SF's offensive line looked really good against that front and Hyde is taking advantage. Congrats on the win.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Wow, did the 49ers ever shut down Gurley. But I think they went away from the running game too much.

And how did they shut down Aaron Donald? Serious question here, was he getting held? Are the referees tired of the Jeff Fisher/Gregg Williams headhunting show?

OP
OP
5_Golden_Rings

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
ivotuk":uvps67pr said:
Wow, did the 49ers ever shut down Gurley. But I think they went away from the running game too much.

And how did they shut down Aaron Donald? Serious question here, was he getting held? Are the referees tired of the Jeff Fisher/Gregg Williams headhunting show?
Aaron Donald was double and triple teamed all game.

They were able to for two reasons. One, Joe Staley is still a great tackle. And two, TRENT BROWN owned Robert Quinn and Hayes (depending on their alignment) because Brown is way better than everyone thinks. 6'8, 355 lbs and agile, he is going to be a top RT very soon. Even Von Miller said as much after the Broncos spent a week practicing with the 49ers.

So in short, great play from the tackles allowed Donald to be chipped and double teamed all game.

xgeoff

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1nk80vek said:

Gabbert is a bit of an enigma. Kid is super athletic, surprisingly so! Runs well, moves well in the pocket. Then he makes some really good throws, but a lot of head scratchers. Rams could have had at least 3 int's if they had just held on to the ball.

But you're right, overall I would not be feeling very confident with his play. Then Kaepernick came on in garbage time and, well, looked like garbage. I'm just kind of shocked. I mean, I know he hasn't been getting first team reps. I know that. But the guy just kind of looked hapless and I wouldn't have expected that. Maybe it's cause Kelly brought in a new scheme and Kaepernick hasn't had reps with it, I don't know.

My gut feeling is really that the 49ers are not going to be good again while Jed York is the owner and Trent Baalke is the GM. And, frankly, that suits me just fine.

I do miss Tomfoola though... He was great entertainment.

xgeoff

Reaction score
RobDaHawk":39e1294s said:
5_Golden_Rings":39e1294s said:

I know another guy, he's suspended now but when he plays he's great. He was chosen in the 7th round. Wife's a model, too...

xgeoff

Reaction score
RobDaHawk":pmj2ht8q said:
5_Golden_Rings":pmj2ht8q said:

Also, Derek Carr was taken in the 2nd round, Kirk Cousins and Dak Prescott in the 4th. Kaepernick was a 2nd round pick. He looked good for a while. There are bargains out there.

OP
OP
5_Golden_Rings

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
xgeoff":xovmzqcf said:
RobDaHawk":xovmzqcf said:
5_Golden_Rings":xovmzqcf said:

I know another guy, he's suspended now but when he plays he's great. He was chosen in the 7th round. Wife's a model, too...
Sixth actually. But the point stands.

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":gageddya said:
xgeoff":gageddya said:
RobDaHawk":gageddya said:
5_Golden_Rings":gageddya said:

Sixth actually. But the point stands.

Lol, I figured after mention of ours, people would chime in with all the others. Even that one that was undrafted that just got his career ender in preseason against us.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I feel like the 49ers' 28 points were more a function of the Rams' utter inability to stay on the field rather than anything good SF was doing. That said, I've always been high on Hyde, and he looked good yesterday. I agree that Gabbert isn't the answer. The passing game was horrendous on both sides.

Hopefully, Gabbert is just competent enough to play SF out of a good draft pick and LA remains in the cellar while surrendering next year's 1st and 3rd to the AFC. Best case scenario for Seattle, really.

Hawks46

Reaction score
RobDaHawk":3trd7man said:
5_Golden_Rings":3trd7man said:

Garrapalo was taken in the 2nd. There's a few guys out there in the mid 1st round that play well (Big Ben, Flacco).

OP
OP
5_Golden_Rings

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
For more on the original topic... Blaine Gabbert averaged less than 5 yards per attempt. Shameful. Carolina is going to put him on the bench next week.

OP
OP
5_Golden_Rings

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Well sadly I was right and wrong. (1) He played terribly against Carolina, but (2) he didn't get benched...

THIS time is far worse. Seattle had zero sacks and only 7 pressures on 27 attempts... and yet Gabbert throws for 119 yards. This is utterly shameful.

He doesn't have the balls to throw it down field, bit even if he did, he doesn't have the accuracy.

He needs to take a knee and Kaepernick needs to stand up and play.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":mok0vhv6 said:
Well sadly I was right and wrong. (1) He played terribly against Carolina, but (2) he didn't get benched...

THIS time is far worse. Seattle had zero sacks and only 7 pressures on 27 attempts... and yet Gabbert throws for 119 yards. This is utterly shameful.

He doesn't have the balls to throw it down field, bit even if he did, he doesn't have the accuracy.

He needs to take a knee and Kaepernick needs to stand up and play.
I think you guys should bench him next week. *allas' defense is pretty bad and I think your odds of pulling out a win are much better with the Kraepper than Gabbert. At least he can throw down field and also beat them with his legs.