Tavon Austin signs 4 year 42 million extension

Rat

Reaction score
Even though it's somewhat of an overpay, I still think Austin could have gotten more in free agency next year. Good deal for the Rams. If everyone plays the way they're capable, an offense with Gurley and Austin is scary.

getnasty

Reaction score
Wow what's Kenny Britt gonna get? 15 million a year. I disagree with Rat here Tavon Austin is not worth the same as Doug Baldwin

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't get, but as long as it uses up more of their cap space I'm good with it. 8)

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
getnasty":10r948eo said:
Wow what's Kenny Britt gonna get? 15 million a year. I disagree with Rat here Tavon Austin is not worth the same as Doug Baldwin
You're comparing Austin with Baldwin? :shock:

b8rtm8nn

Reaction score
McGruff":5f7y0rs7 said:
SOOOO overpaid.

If you look at the quality of the other Rams WR and the value Austin provides to the team - I think they got a good deal.

McGruff

Reaction score
b8rtm8nn":qpcufrbw said:
McGruff":qpcufrbw said:
SOOOO overpaid.

If you look at the quality of the other Rams WR and the value Austin provides to the team - I think they got a good deal.

That's a horrible way to run a team, and will keep them in mediocrity forever.

Austin is an average receiver and below average runner who is getting paid elite money. It's dumb, but I'm glad the Rams are doing it.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Ehh, little bit of an overpay but he had 900 yards and 9 TDs last year (+ a return td and his overall contribution to the return game). He's a very integral part of their offense at this point.

As for the ADB comparison, he didn't have the career year last year that Baldwin did, but he's also a few years younger.

The same way the Hawks are betting on Baldwin not regressing to the mean the Rams are betting on Austin still developing and refining, I'd imagine.

So, definitely a bit of an overlay IMO, but maybe not by as much as it seems at first blush.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
How are people so blinded sometimes.

Austin is a lot more valuable to an offense than Doug Baldwin.

Tavon hasn't developed much as a WR, but he's also had 47 subpar QBs throwing to him in his first three years. Imagine him with a QB like Wilson.

This was a good deal for the Rams.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
McGruff":1zfzfymz said:
b8rtm8nn":1zfzfymz said:
McGruff":1zfzfymz said:
SOOOO overpaid.

Austin is an average receiver and below average runner who is getting paid elite money. It's dumb, but I'm glad the Rams are doing it.

This is one of the most uninformed posts I have ever read, on any site. If you don't know anything about a team or player, don't comment on it.

If anything, he's an average runner and below average receiver, but you'd still be wrong there. He's a very good runner and an elite return man.

In 52 carries he had 23 first downs and 4 TDs.

This with the Rams having below average QBs and coaches.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Ramfan128":10wdhla2 said:
McGruff":10wdhla2 said:
b8rtm8nn":10wdhla2 said:
McGruff":10wdhla2 said:
SOOOO overpaid.

This is one of the most uninformed posts I have ever read, on any site. If you don't know anything about a team or player, don't comment on it.

If anything, he's an average runner and below average receiver, but you'd still be wrong there. He's a very good runner and an elite return man.

In 52 carries he had 23 first downs and 4 TDs.

This with the Rams having below average QBs and coaches.

Meh, he's no Tyler Lockett.....

kobebryant

Reaction score
Austin reminds me a bit of Darren Sproles, though not as good. I'm not sure what Sproles is being paid, but I'd imagine it's significantly less than Austin. And even if Austin where to get to that level, it still would feel like an overpay.

Deandre Hopkins must be fuming.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Meh, he's no Tyler Lockett.....[/quote]

You're right, he's better.

Again, imagine if he had a top 5 QB and played in a good offense. We'd be talking a very different story here.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
kobebryant":gb8ejpp3 said:
Austin reminds me a bit of Darren Sproles, though not as good. I'm not sure what Sproles is being paid, but I'd imagine it's significantly less than Austin. And even if Austin where to get to that level, it still would feel like an overpay.

Hopkins will get paid.

Tavon's season last year was better than anything Sproles has done, and that's playing with awful QBs. Sproles always had the luxury of being the 3rd/4th/5th option in a great offense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Ramfan128":is89r4rf said:
kobebryant":is89r4rf said:

Hopkins will get paid.

Tavon's season last year was better than anything Sproles has done, and that's playing with awful QBs. Sproles always had the luxury of being the 3rd/4th/5th option in a great offense.

Errr, Sproles has had at least 2-3 seasons better than Austin's 2015 season. 650+ yards, 7 TD's, 75+ receptions.

Austin's best year was last year, and only had 52 catches, 473 yards and 5 TD's.

I get what the Rams are doing, but make no mistake, this contract is 100% about potential if Goff pans out........and 0% about past production. Cause Austin hasn't done anything in 3 years to warrant this much guaranteed money.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Ramfan128":7fbxdgbz said:
Meh, he's no Tyler Lockett.....

You're right, he's better.

Again, imagine if he had a top 5 QB and played in a good offense. We'd be talking a very different story here.[/quote]
at what exactly? he's not a better return guy or a better receiver.

Ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas. Lockett, again this year, will have more return yards, TD's, receptions and receiving yards.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well they have to spend their money somewhere, if it's not on a franchise QB then it's on a receiver to stay with the franchise till they trip over one.

Latest posts