Alex Mack "Winning is important"

kearly

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -important

This is a month story, but I thought it was interesting and figured it was worth sharing.

While technically not a free agent, Alex Mack can opt out of his deal this offseason and hit UFA. It's generally expected that he will. Mack turns 31 next season, and probably still has 3-4 seasons left in his prime. And while "winning is important" could very well just be talk, I could see the appeal of a guy going from Cleveland to a perennial playoff team on his last big contract.

I don't think Seattle will sign Mack, because some team with a lot of cash will probably have him inked to a mega-deal during the pre-FA negotiation period. However, a pretty strong case could be made that if Mack cost the same money as Okung + Sweezy, that Seattle might be better served making a play for Mack given the trouble Seattle has had versus elite DTs such as Aaron Donald.

ivotuk

Reaction score
kearly":tsj3qnjf said:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000608394/article/browns-mack-on-optout-clause-winning-is-important

This is a month story, but I thought it was interesting and figured it was worth sharing.

While technically not a free agent, Alex Mack can opt out of his deal this offseason and hit UFA. It's generally expected that he will. Mack turns 31 next season, and probably still has 3-4 seasons left in his prime. And while "winning is important" could very well just be talk, I could see the appeal of a guy going from Cleveland to a perennial playoff team on his last big contract.

I don't think Seattle will sign Mack, because some team with a lot of cash will probably have him inked to a mega-deal during the pre-FA negotiation period. However, a pretty strong case could be made that if Mack cost the same money as Okung + Sweezy, that Seattle might be better served making a play for Mack given the trouble Seattle has had versus elite DTs such as Aaron Donald.

This alone is a reason to sign him. The most important area of protection for Russell Wilson, much like Drew Brees, is up the middle, not off the edges. Alvin Bailey does surprisingly well at LT, and if we could get Britt to play up to his supposed ability at LG, we'd be s'ittin' in tall cotton.

I would much prefer our 1st round pick go to one of the many DTs available, or a DE/LEO to replace Irvin (if he leaves).

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Man I wish this guy would be a Seahawk for the next several years. I know it's unlikely, but I'm gonna dream of it til where he plays next year becomes official.

Kealy: since you said it would take Sweezy plus Okung money to get him, that would mean about 10 mil per right?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I have wanted Mack on the Seahawks since he was in College. I would love if they found a way to plug him into our O-line.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3k7bj61l said:
Kealy: since you said it would take Sweezy plus Okung money to get him, that would mean about 10 mil per right?

10 or 11, yup.

massari

Reaction score
In the PFF article ranking the OL's, they had this to say about the Browns interior:

"The tackles were the highlight of the line, with both Thomas and Mitchell Schwartz playing extremely well. The interior play prevented this line from being any higher on the list, though both guards were far from disappointing, and Alex Mack never a liability. We’ve just seen them all play better, with it not coming together this year."

Mack will be 31 next season. Is he starting to decline?

hawknation2016

Reaction score
kearly":2ps4gi41 said:
hawksfansinceday1":2ps4gi41 said:

10 or 11, yup.

That seems like a big jump in salary. He's already the highest paid at his position with $8.4 million APY.

By what date must Mack void his contract to enter free agency? If winning is really important to him, then he should be willing to take around $8 million APY.

massari

Reaction score
I wonder how much it'd take to get Stefan Wisniewski? He visited the Hawks last off season, left without a contract then signed with the Jags for 2.5M. PFF said this about him:

"Stud: Former Raiders center Stefen Wisniewski came in and did a good, if not great, job."

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
massari":21alkn3c said:
I wonder how much it'd take to get Stefan Wisniewski? He visited the Hawks last off season, left without a contract then signed with the Jags for 2.5M. PFF said this about him:

"Stud: Former Raiders center Stefen Wisniewski came in and did a good, if not great, job."
He would certainly fit the budget in a much better fashion. So was he on a one year deal in Jville?

Cyrus12

Reaction score
winning is important...money is more important...likely to go to the raiders or somewhere with a lot of cap room.

Rob12

Reaction score
Patrick Lewis will turn 25 in nine days and made $585K last season. He's a RFA this offseason.

I actually really like this kid. Is the upgrade from Lewis to Mack worth $6.5-8M a season? I don't think it is. I don't know what Mack will sign for, but he's just coming off of a five-year, $42M deal.

Maybe I'm not enough of an offensive line guru, but in no universe do I think that Mack is that much of an upgrade over a much younger, cheaper player who has played pretty well for us. I'd almost consider that wasted money. Maybe I'm crazy, but we're literally talking a $6.5 to 8M cap hit difference.

Don't think I'm down with that.

Rob12

Reaction score
So is it a foregone conclusion here that Lewis isn't the answer, and we need to upgrade the C position? Honest question; maybe I misjudged Lewis a bit.

mrt144

Reaction score
Trade away max Unger and a 1st to get Graham and alleviate salary cap issues and yall are talking about a 31 year old alex mack at 10 mil a year? OL is the Seahawks dump stat

massari

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1s9jefzl said:
massari":1s9jefzl said:

He would certainly fit the budget in a much better fashion. So was he on a one year deal in Jville?
Yup, he's a UFA this March.

Fade

Reaction score
Too Old. Unless he really, really wants to win. ie cheap contract.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
massari":19uqj125 said:
hawksfansinceday1":19uqj125 said:
massari":19uqj125 said:

Yup, he's a UFA this March.
I was just looking over the UFA list and saw his name. I remember he visited. Is winning important to Wisniewski as well? He chose JAX over SEA. Hmmm... Wonder if he hates Seattle or something? He's a Penn St. guy.

Erebus

Reaction score
Cyrus12":26pztl11 said:
winning is important...money is more important...likely to go to the raiders or somewhere with a lot of cap room.

For someone of his age and salary, it's unlikely he'll get a raise in free agency. He hasn't been dominant enough to justify getting a raise over already being the highest paid center in the league. I think he's being honest about wanting to win. I'd expect him to sign the highest contract offered from a legit contender.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Trade for him.

He's said he wants to win, he's not going to be doing that in Cleveland. I bet you he'd happily be traded here and Cleveland would be happy to get something for him (knowing he could cancel his contract). Trade for him. Keep his contract the same ($8m per, plus add some guarantees). Offer them a 4th/5th. Get it done.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
If Alex Mack wants to play for a winner, I can't imagine he doesn't have the Seahawks on his short list of possible teams. A Super Bowl contender where the Center position isn't set. He could come in and bring leadership and veteran savvy to this line.
I'd rather them go with the continuity of Patrick Lewis and find a Center in the draft (even late or an UDRFA) rather than see them sign Mack to a 10-11 mil contract . I do think it's important to improve the play of the ENTIRE line.

mrt144

Reaction score
Rob12":343l08uc said:
So is it a foregone conclusion here that Lewis isn't the answer, and we need to upgrade the C position? Honest question; maybe I misjudged Lewis a bit.

Lewis is so cap friendly it hurts. And how would Lewis be on the list of needed upgrades ahead of Britt and Sweezy?