Tennessee Titans fire head coach Ken Whisenhunt

Jville

Reaction score
Link >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000572205/article/tennessee-titans-fire-head-coach-ken-whisenhunt[/urltargetblank]

This is the worst-case scenario for a franchise that just selected a quarterback with the No. 2 overall pick. Marcus Mariota spent the offseason learning Whisenhunt's system and, in spurts, looked like a promising rookie of the year candidate who could make that offense work.

Now, he'll be at the whim of a coaching search, a new staff and a new set of ideas in Tennessee.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":3j1pn7z3 said:
Ken Whisenhunt should stay a coordinator for a while before getting his next main gig. Dude is just so mediocre (if that) as a head coach.

Funny how he was a good coach with Kurt Warner at QB. After Warner retired, then not so much.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'd take him as an OC. He took the Cardinals to their first Superbowl. But yes, he's not head coach material.

When he was with Pittsburgh, he was a great offensive coordinator who focused on the run with "The Bus." At the time Rapistburger had Russell Wilson like numbers, 25 - 30 passes a game and under, or close to 300 yards. He's perfect for what Pete wants, but you don't switch horses in the middle of the river.

Maybe hire him as a QB coach or something, get him on the staff.

kearly

Reaction score
Chip Kelly to Tennessee in 3... 2... 1...

As far as Whisenhunt goes, he's a quality OC and fits the traditional mold. I have zero interest in him for Seattle but he'd make a lot of sense for... Arizona. Wouldn't that be funny.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I really hope Pete Carroll takes a look at Whisenhunt. Look at what he did for Philip RIvers whose play was mediocre before Whiz became his OC, and now that he's gone, Rivers, and the Chargers have struggled on offense.

2014 was a good season for San Diego, even though they lost 3 or 4 starting running backs. Rivers went from 26/15 TD/INT to 32/11, his completion ratio jumped to 69.5% and YPA went up to 8.2. His sacks went down from 49 to 30 even though he had 40 more attempts. And that was with a makeshift OLine.

Like I said before, don't like him as a head coach (neither did Pittsburgh), but love him as an O.C.

http://www.nfl.com/player/philiprivers/2506121/profile

ringless

Reaction score
His Super Bowl appearance also came off a 9-7 season in which Larry Fitzgerald and Kurt Warner would signal handily break single post season records.

It was more them than him. He is not mean to be a HC.

ivotuk

Reaction score
More of my argument to replace Darrell Bevell with Ken Whisenhunt...look at our offense this year...then look at what happened when the Ravens fired Cam Cameron in 2012, or when they added Gary Kubiak last year after Jim Caldwell left.

"Cam Cameron says the Baltimore Ravens' decision to fire him as offensive coordinator was just what the team needed.

"It was a brilliant move," Cameron told The New York Times. "Everyone on the team took a look in the mirror after that."

When Cameron was fired on Dec. 10, the Ravens were 9-4 and still rather productive by averaging 344.4 yards on offense. However, the Ravens have thrived under new offensive boss Jim Caldwell, averaging 406.2 yards over the final three regular-season games and 424.7 yards during their run to the Super Bowl."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/st ... liant-move

"When the Baltimore Ravens didn't give the ball to running back Ray Rice once in the team's 23-20 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers on Dec. 2, the fans' calls for the head of offensive coordinator Cam Cameron intensified. And when the Ravens followed that loss with a 31-28 overtime stunner at the hands of the Washington Redskins on Sunday, the team felt that a move needed to be made."

"At times, Cameron seemed to be living in a long-gone time when receiver distribution and location (to use a favorite phrase of our friend Greg Cosell) wasn't as important as it is now. In 2011, the Ravens ranked 30th in offensive formations of three receivers, setting up that way just 28 percent of the time. Cameron's insistence on sending his receivers on isolation routes, essentially forcing his players to beat coverage without the advantages provided by formation diversity, gave the Ravens' offense a handicap."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Weird seeing Kurt Warner pop up,I was thinking QB's driving home and thought to myself "he is in my top 5"as one of the greatest QB's I ever saw play.As for Whisenhunt being our OC in future,I would rather have Cameron.I think he would fit better with RW.

kearly

Reaction score
Ron Burgundy":16sjsn7x said:
The Colts just fired their OC.

Wow. Not often you see an OC or DC fired mid-season.

chris98251

Reaction score
Warner was successful before Whisenhunt, once he retired Whisenhunt was not able to duplicate his success anywhere with anyone else. I would rather have someone that is successful where ever he goes.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Mid season coaching changes are almost always the work of desperate GMs who feel the end coming.

That is part of why what happened in Baltimore worked, it was not the work of a desperate GM.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Well, one thing's for sure. Whiz ain't getting a good reference from Pete's friend and former QB, Matt Leinart:

Matt Leinart on Whisenhunt's hiring in 2014: “I don’t think it’s a great fit, and I don’t think it’s great timing, and here’s why. You look at his tenure in Arizona — only two years, he had success, and in those two years, Kurt Warner ran that football team — I was a part of it. Every single Monday, Kurt Warner would come in an implement 20-to-30 new plays which he would say ‘I want these in my game plan.’ We became a spread offense and we became Kurt Warner’s offense. Then Kurt Warner retires, they go 5-11 twice and they go 8-8.”

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MattLeinartQB/status/661576536986796032[/tweet]

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ivotuk":l19nb2k4 said:
I really hope Pete Carroll takes a look at Whisenhunt. Look at what he did for Philip RIvers whose play was mediocre before Whiz became his OC, and now that he's gone, Rivers, and the Chargers have struggled on offense.

lolwut.

Rivers leads the league in passing and has 18 TD in 8 games. The Chargers can't run the ball (in large part because their OL is actually probably worse than ours) or stop anyone.. that's their problem.

Whisenhunt is extremely overrated as an OC. Mike McCoy has done more for Rivers than Whiz did. Also, before that one year Whiz was in SD.. he had 3 consecutive years of posting a QB rating of over 100, and 4 consecutive seasons of throwing for over 4000 yards.

Not to mention.. Whiz has NEVER, EVER, EVER developed a young quarterback. He'd be the worst type of coordinator for Russell Wilson. His only semblance of success was getting Kurt Warner to go on a torrid run through the playoffs.. look at what Leinart said, Warner ran that offense.. not Whiz.

ivotuk":l19nb2k4 said:
More of my argument to replace Darrell Bevell with Ken Whisenhunt...look at our offense this year...then look at what happened when the Ravens fired Cam Cameron in 2012, or when they added Gary Kubiak last year after Jim Caldwell left.

And this would be utterly ridiculous. The Ravens fired Cameron but replaced him with someone already on their staff. NO TEAM replaces an offensive coordinator with someone that has no relation whatsoever with the system you are running in the middle of the season.

If you want an in-season Bevell firing, the only guy to replace him would be Tom Cable.. and Cable's track record as an OC is infinitely worse than Bevell.

So no.. a change isn't happening until the offseason. If at all.

Fun fact: Steelers offensive rankings under Whiz: 11th, 9th, 12th
Chargers offensive ranking under Whiz: 12th
Cardinals offensive ranking under Whiz WITHOUT Kurt Warner: 26th, 24th, 31st

Seahawks offensive rankings under Bevell: 9th, 8th, 10th

But yeah.. lets fire Bevell today and hire this guy. I'm all in.

:sarcasm_on:

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2ksz7kiw said:
Mid season coaching changes are almost always the work of desperate GMs who feel the end coming.

That is part of why what happened in Baltimore worked, it was not the work of a desperate GM.

While I do think a FO shakeup is on the table in Tennessee and I think your points are totally valid, I generally interpret a mid-season firing of a coach or GM as a way to get an early start on the hiring phase of the next candidate.

For example, the Mariners didn't wait to fire Jack Z. That way they could decide on his replacement (Dipoto) well in advance of the winter meetings and free agency. The Seahawks dealt with Tim Ruskell in such a way that he resigned with a month still left to go in the season, and this extra month probably aided their effort to recruit Pete Carroll. Sark also left early which gave UW a slight head start, which may have helped them land Chris Petersen.

I can't help but look at the Whisenhunt firing as a direct message to Chip Kelly. I think Chip has to believe the Tennessee job is his if he wants it, and now he's got two months extra to think it over. Every time the Eagles lose an ugly game and every time he hears pressure from the media or ownership, he's going to be thinking about that fresh start with Mariota in Nashville.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":3dz46t6a said:
I can't help but look at the Whisenhunt firing as a direct message to Chip Kelly. I think Chip has to believe the Tennessee job is his if he wants it, and now he's got two months extra to think it over. Every time the Eagles lose an ugly game and every time he hears pressure from the media or ownership, he's going to be thinking about that fresh start with Mariota in Nashville.

See I don't really buy this at all. Chip has full control in Philly now.. why would he leave for a franchise in worse shape just because Mariota is there?

I think Chip only has two realistic options for 2016. He's either coaching in Philly or pulling a Harbaugh/Saban and going to USC where he will be damn near bulletproof and likely extremely successful.