Tennessee Titans fire head coach Ken Whisenhunt

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
The challenge is what some of these coaches thrive on. From Philly who is doing better than before to Tennessee who is looking for someone to spark at least something to work for is not a bad jump. Given 3 or more years from this point on would not hurt Chip Kelly in the least. If he thinks that coaching in the minor leagues is his cup of tea, yes he is somewhat bulletproof. But will the challenge be there or will the larger challenge be with the Titans?

That is the real question. Go Hawks.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":w5od2w9i said:
The challenge is what some of these coaches thrive on. From Philly who is doing better than before to Tennessee who is looking for someone to spark at least something to work for is not a bad jump. Given 3 or more years from this point on would not hurt Chip Kelly in the least. If he thinks that coaching in the minor leagues is his cup of tea, yes he is somewhat bulletproof. But will the challenge be there or will the larger challenge be with the Titans?

The challenge aspect would make a lot more sense if he won in Philly. He hasn't yet.

Complete control with literally no one to answer to with an NFL like salary appeals to some guys too, remains to be seen if Chip is cut from that same cloth, but Harbaugh and Saban sure were. It took one hell of an offer to get Pete Carroll to jump too.

I just don't see Chip leaving the Eagles to coach the Titans all because of Marcus Mariota.. if Mariota were that important to Chip he would have written a blank check to the Titans to get him.

To me he's either all-in on Philly, or he'll be at USC (very quick fix in a conference he's familiar with) next year.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1mo7bqfw said:
Seahawkfan80":1mo7bqfw said:

The challenge aspect would make a lot more sense if he won in Philly. He hasn't yet.

Complete control with literally no one to answer to with an NFL like salary appeals to some guys too, remains to be seen if Chip is cut from that same cloth, but Harbaugh and Saban sure were. It took one hell of an offer to get Pete Carroll to jump too.

I just don't see Chip leaving the Eagles to coach the Titans all because of Marcus Mariota.. if Mariota were that important to Chip he would have written a blank check to the Titans to get him.

To me he's either all-in on Philly, or he'll be at USC (very quick fix in a conference he's familiar with) next year.

I totally agree with this point. One person is not that big of a deal. I wonder if they have other things that could entice him. I dont know. I would assume that he would check out all the variables before making a decision.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":26qqs0xb said:
Scottemojo":26qqs0xb said:
Mid season coaching changes are almost always the work of desperate GMs who feel the end coming.

That is part of why what happened in Baltimore worked, it was not the work of a desperate GM.

While I do think a FO shakeup is on the table in Tennessee and I think your points are totally valid, I generally interpret a mid-season firing of a coach or GM as a way to get an early start on the hiring phase of the next candidate.

For example, the Mariners didn't wait to fire Jack Z. That way they could decide on his replacement (Dipoto) well in advance of the winter meetings and free agency. The Seahawks dealt with Tim Ruskell in such a way that he resigned with a month still left to go in the season, and this extra month probably aided their effort to recruit Pete Carroll. Sark also left early which gave UW a slight head start, which may have helped them land Chris Petersen.

I can't help but look at the Whisenhunt firing as a direct message to Chip Kelly. I think Chip has to believe the Tennessee job is his if he wants it, and now he's got two months extra to think it over. Every time the Eagles lose an ugly game and every time he hears pressure from the media or ownership, he's going to be thinking about that fresh start with Mariota in Nashville.
Even that is desperate. Setting yourself up to get a guy who is still employed?

I have no doubt, it has all the feels of reaching out to Chip. But if Chip doesn't get fired?

And any GM worth shit won't want to court Kelly. He just got a GM fired in a personnel struggle.
I might be wrong. This might be the work of a desperate owner.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":sa3bx87e said:
kearly":sa3bx87e said:
Scottemojo":sa3bx87e said:
Mid season coaching changes are almost always the work of desperate GMs who feel the end coming.

That is part of why what happened in Baltimore worked, it was not the work of a desperate GM.

While I do think a FO shakeup is on the table in Tennessee and I think your points are totally valid, I generally interpret a mid-season firing of a coach or GM as a way to get an early start on the hiring phase of the next candidate.

For example, the Mariners didn't wait to fire Jack Z. That way they could decide on his replacement (Dipoto) well in advance of the winter meetings and free agency. The Seahawks dealt with Tim Ruskell in such a way that he resigned with a month still left to go in the season, and this extra month probably aided their effort to recruit Pete Carroll. Sark also left early which gave UW a slight head start, which may have helped them land Chris Petersen.

I can't help but look at the Whisenhunt firing as a direct message to Chip Kelly. I think Chip has to believe the Tennessee job is his if he wants it, and now he's got two months extra to think it over. Every time the Eagles lose an ugly game and every time he hears pressure from the media or ownership, he's going to be thinking about that fresh start with Mariota in Nashville.

I have no doubt, it has all the feels of reaching out to Chip. But if Chip doesn't get fired?

And any GM worth shit won't want to court Kelly. He just got a GM fired in a personnel struggle.

Kelly being fired is in play imo . As are mutually parting ways. Sometimes testy coaches get traded, like Gruden or Piniella.

I just think sending a message of sorts to Kelly has value. I think their next coaching staff will be Kelly or Kelly-lite. Mariota needs the system. I also think Kelly will lose full operational control this offseason with a hot seat to go with it. At best. And I don't think he's going back to college football except as a last resort.

ringless

Reaction score
kearly":oon6hkpk said:
Scottemojo":oon6hkpk said:
kearly":oon6hkpk said:
Scottemojo":oon6hkpk said:

Kelly being fired is in play imo . As are mutually parting ways. Sometimes testy coaches get traded, like Gruden or Piniella.

I just think sending a message of sorts to Kelly has value. I think their next coaching staff will be Kelly or Kelly-lite. Mariota needs the system. I also think Kelly will lose full operational control this offseason with a hot seat to go with it. At best. And I don't think he's going back to college football except as a last resort.

Nearly it's interesting you said this because I was listening to our Sports radio today with Gambo and it sounded like he thinks Chip will end up in Tennessee next year.

Interesting to say the least.

kearly

Reaction score
ringless":389mob82 said:
Nearly it's interesting you said this because I was listening to our Sports radio today with Gambo and it sounded like he thinks Chip will end up in Tennessee next year.

Interesting to say the least.

Exactly. Whether it happens or not it's an interesting situation.

From what I heard last spring the Eagles did have a massive offer on the table for Mariota, basically on par with the RG3 trade, but were turned down. Just a rumor of course, though a lot of places were reporting it.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Stupid. Mariota gets injured after proving he can win or a least keep a terrible team in games versus superior teams and the coach gets the axe. Yeah whatever, maybe he'd be interested in coming to Seattle?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2zufwc8y said:
Stupid. Mariota gets injured after proving he can win or a least keep a terrible team in games versus superior teams and the coach gets the axe. Yeah whatever, maybe he'd be interested in coming to Seattle?

He beat Tampa Bay. Not like Mariota was lighting up the Patriots.

Whisenhunt was 1-20 at Titans head coach in games played after Week 1. That is downright atrocious. Not to mention, he has never developed a young quarterback .. whether as an OC or HC.

For those reasons, he was Chopped

CSQtv60UEAEtNoi

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":4cr840iw said:

Whisenhunt was 1-20 at Titans head coach in games played after Week 1. That is downright atrocious. Not to mention, he has never developed a young quarterback .. whether as an OC or HC.

For me I think the biggest reason he was fired is that his offense is suited for a traditional QB, not for a mobile point guard type like Mariota. Mariota is a precious asset if handled correctly, whereas Whisenhunt is the definition of an expendable coach. The organization knows they need to find a coach that can make Mariota shine, and that clearly isn't Whisenhunt.

But yeah, he's been really bad too. Even when they first hired Whisenhunt it had the feel of both parties being willing rather than thrilled.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":31y6745y said:
Hasselbeck":31y6745y said:

For me I think the biggest reason he was fired is that his offense is suited for a traditional QB, not for a mobile point guard type like Mariota. Mariota is a precious asset if handled correctly, whereas Whisenhunt is the definition of an expendable coach. The organization knows they need to find a coach that can make Mariota shine, and that clearly isn't Whisenhunt.

But yeah, he's been really bad too. Even when they first hired Whisenhunt it had the feel of both parties being willing rather than thrilled.

Bingo.