NFC West week 3 predictions!

ringless

Reaction score
This could be the week someone finally gets over the .500 hump. Everyone has stumbled out of the starting blocks due to the parity in the NFL in the first two weeks.

As things Stand:
Cardinals 2-0
Rams 1-1
49ers 1-1
Seahawks 0-2

The Cardinals will host the 49ers for what will be the game that determines who takes the early lead in the division. The Cardinals can hang on to it, or the 49ers can take over with a road win. The Cardinals tend to play well at home going 15-2 since Arians took over. The offense seems to be firing but something is off with the defense. It's not as deep, and certainly not as aggressive as before. They don't have the ability to generate pressure, the soft spot is right in them middle. The Cardinals have allowed zero sacks thus far and should be getting two OL back in Iupati and Massie although Watford has won that job for now. Johnson has 3 Td's on 9 touches this season and is really impressing.

On the other hand you have the 49ers, who looked dominant against the Vikings. While they lost by a large margin to the Steelers in no way do I believe the team is that bad. I think it's an unexperienced team and things spiraled out of control quickly. I think they are going to have a lot of success against this Arizona Defense and I expect Kap to have a huge day on his designed run plays that should really open up a much weaker Arizona defense. However, I think the speed in the offense, and the way its clicking right now should allow AZ to outmatch them on the other side of the ball. Divisional games are always tough to predict, but I think AZ takes this one at home. 31-27 in a close game all the way through.

The Rams could finally get the much anticipated Gurley on the field as they take on the Steelers, while the Steelers will be getting to put Bell back on display this week as well. But more importantly, which Rams defense will show up? The one that played Seattle or the one that played Washington? The Rams clearly can dominate on Defense. However, it's yet to be seen if Foles can be who they want him to be, and the last things the Rams need is a shootout with Big Ben. The Rams have shown they are a team that can beat anybody on any given Sunday. But they still show a lack of discipline from week to week. This is big game for them, however I think they still come up short. I think the Steelers Offense will be too much for the Rams this week. I admittedly know little about the Steelers Defense except that it was suppose to be bad. But the Rams offense is not one that strikes fear into the hearts of opposing teams quite yet. That could be something that develops later in the season. Steelers win this one 35-24 with a last minute TD.

The Seahawks will host the Bears and Jimmy Clausen. While the Seahawks are 0-2, towards the end of the Green Bay game they flashed their Super Bowl potential. I know I personally thought they are just too good. The defense showed it can be stifling as Aaron Rodgers was kept in check at home most of the game. When Russell Wilson opened it up in the second half you can see how frustrating it is on opposing teams to have to try to defend the RO that this team runs so well. The Bears on the other hand are clearly a weak team. Clausen is 1-10 in his career, and their defense is lacking talent across the board. I'd expect that the Bears will try a similar offensive approach in the ground and pound game because if they are forced to pass they are going to lose big. I think we see an extremely dominant force on both sides of the ball from Seattle this week and the largest margin of victory in the division. 42-13 Seattle.

My prediction:
Cardinals 3-0
Rams 1-2
49ers 1-2
Seahawks 1-2

KEARLY 4-4
Hawksfansinceday1 4-4
RINGLESS 4-4
ClutchDJ 4-4
Marvin49 3-5
Fade 3-5
Shadowhawk 3-5
Mizzou 3-5
Hasselbeck 3-5
drdiags 3-1
RedAlice 3-1
SF49er 2-6
POPEYEJONES 2-6
Laloosh 2-6
REX 2-2
Erebus 2-2
greenblue_eye's2 2-2
London 12 1-3
SeahawksTopGear: 1-3
Superman28 1-3
SPORTS HERNIA 0-4
SALISHHAWKFAN 0-4
ELCALIENTE 0-4

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Thanks, Ringless!

Cards V 49ers:

The Cards have looked very impressive against pretty unimpressive competition (Saints 0-2, also lost to the LOL Bucs, and 0-2 Bears, also lost to the Packers as they should).

The 9ers beat up on an okay team in the Vikings (1-1, beat the mediocre Lions) and got curb stomped by a pretty good Steelers team (lost to the Pats, as they should).

The Steelers beat the 9ers by going into max-protect and using Mangini's aggressive against him by going over the top. Five of Rapes' six 30+ yard passes came on third down. :lol: This is a very good way to attack a Mangini defense, and the Cards should try to do the same. I don't think Palmer is as good as Rapes and I don't think the Cardinals' WRs are as good as the Steelers', but I still think the Cards will have success in their passing game given 1) the 9ers lack of pass rush w/out blitzing and 2) the 9ers young CBs, slow in coverage SS (Bethea), and good angle retardant FS (Reid). The Cards will only amass run yardage if the game gets out of hand in the first half.

I think the 9ers offense can have success against the Cards, although they have a problem right now, which they didn't have in the past. Unlike Fangio's defense (slow and steady wins the race) Mangini's defense is high risk and high reward. The problem is that the 9ers offense is still pretty slow and methodical in its play selection. That's great when paired with a D like Fangio's, but if you go on a 6-9 minute drive and end up without points or just a FG (as happened against the Steelers twice and three times against the Vikings) and then give up big plays on defense it's just a recipe for disaster. If you do this twice on each side the game is basically over, and you can't even make defensive adjustments at half time because you still don't know much about your opponents' offensive gameplan.

I think this game will still be a game by the 4th quarter, but don't think the 9ers are talented enough to beat the Cards on the road without a lot of luck.

Prediction: CARDINALS

Rams V Steelers::

Maybe Gurley splits time with Mason this week, but so what. We have no idea if he'll be better than Mason or not. I just simply don't think the Cardinals have the offensive firepower to take advantage of a weak Steelers defense. On the other side of the ball, there are only a few QBs in the league who have the pocket awareness to neutralize the Rams' pass rush, and Rapes is one of them (Brady, almost-done-Manning, and Rodgers being the other three). The Steelers have Bell back too, and in his absence have learned that Williams still has some juice left, meaning he can rotate and make Bell even more effective on a per-play basis. The Rams aren't built for a shoot-out (they're built to beat teams like the Seahawks and 9ers), and this is going to turn into one.

Prediction: STEELERS

Seahawks V Bears:: LOL. If the Bears win this week the entire world is going to have to revise their expectations for the Seahawks. If this game is even close this week the entire world should be revising their expectations for the Seahawks. This is truly the only must-win game for an NFCW team this week. In the long run I think the other NFCW games this weekend are pretty inconsequential. LOLOLOLOLOL if the Seahawks lose, though. Tthey won't.

Prediction: SEAHAWKS (although if I were a Hawks fan I'd be unhappy about a win by less than two TDs, and pretty nervous about a win by less than 10).

Marvin49

Reaction score
SF 2-1....What the hell. :D
AZ 2-1
Rams 1-2
SH 1-2

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Feeling a 3-0 week this week.

Cardinals over Niners
Steelers over Rams
Seahawks over Bears

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
Popeyejones":cgl7x3g5 said:
Thanks, Ringless!

Cards V 49ers:

The Cards have looked very impressive against pretty unimpressive competition (Saints 0-2, also lost to the LOL Bucs, and 0-2 Bears, also lost to the Packers as they should).

The 9ers beat up on an okay team in the Vikings (1-1, beat the mediocre Lions) and got curb stomped by a pretty good Steelers team (lost to the Pats, as they should).

The Steelers beat the 9ers by going into max-protect and using Mangini's aggressive against him by going over the top. Five of Rapes' six 30+ yard passes came on third down. :lol: This is a very good way to attack a Mangini defense, and the Cards should try to do the same. I don't think Palmer is as good as Rapes and I don't think the Cardinals' WRs are as good as the Steelers', but I still think the Cards will have success in their passing game given 1) the 9ers lack of pass rush w/out blitzing and 2) the 9ers young CBs, slow in coverage SS (Bethea), and good angle retardant FS (Reid). The Cards will only amass run yardage if the game gets out of hand in the first half.

I think the 9ers offense can have success against the Cards, although they have a problem right now, which they didn't have in the past. Unlike Fangio's defense (slow and steady wins the race) Mangini's defense is high risk and high reward. The problem is that the 9ers offense is still pretty slow and methodical in its play selection. That's great when paired with a D like Fangio's, but if you go on a 6-9 minute drive and end up without points or just a FG (as happened against the Steelers twice and three times against the Vikings) and then give up big plays on defense it's just a recipe for disaster. If you do this twice on each side the game is basically over, and you can't even make defensive adjustments at half time because you still don't know much about your opponents' offensive gameplan.

I think this game will still be a game by the 4th quarter, but don't think the 9ers are talented enough to beat the Cards on the road without a lot of luck.

Prediction: CARDINALS

Rams V Steelers::

Maybe Gurley splits time with Mason this week, but so what. We have no idea if he'll be better than Mason or not. I just simply don't think the Cardinals have the offensive firepower to take advantage of a weak Steelers defense. On the other side of the ball, there are only a few QBs in the league who have the pocket awareness to neutralize the Rams' pass rush, and Rapes is one of them (Brady, almost-done-Manning, and Rodgers being the other three). The Steelers have Bell back too, and in his absence have learned that Williams still has some juice left, meaning he can rotate and make Bell even more effective on a per-play basis. The Rams aren't built for a shoot-out (they're built to beat teams like the Seahawks and 9ers), and this is going to turn into one.

Prediction: STEELERS

Seahawks V Bears:: LOL. If the Bears win this week the entire world is going to have to revise their expectations for the Seahawks. If this game is even close this week the entire world should be revising their expectations for the Seahawks. This is truly the only must-win game for an NFCW team this week. In the long run I think the other NFCW games this weekend are pretty inconsequential. LOLOLOLOLOL if the Seahawks lose, though. Tthey won't.

Prediction: SEAHAWKS (although if I were a Hawks fan I'd be unhappy about a win by less than two TDs, and pretty nervous about a win by less than 10).

Appreciate the insight! I like when others do a writeup like this as it's great to see different perspectives from other fans that might see things others don't.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Cards vs. Niners:

Who knows what the Niners have? That Vikings team they beat played some of the worst football of the season. That's not them. On the flip side, who didn't see a blowout coming for a west coast team playing like Monday and then early Sunday?

What we do know is that the Cards are favored to win...under Arians they usually do.

Pick: Cardinals

Seahawks vs. Bears:

Lol. Man oh man. A fantasy football team consisting of:

Wilson/Lynch/Fred Jackson/Baldwin/Lockett/Graham/Kearse/Hauschka/Seahawks D

Will score 100 points this week in standard scoring. Wilson will get 20, RBs will get 20, WRs will get 20, Graham will get 10, Hauschka will get 10 and the defense will get 20

it's going to be ugly.

Pick: Seahawks

Rams vs. Steelers

Surprised nobody has picked us yet. Only because of the reputation for taking down good teams. This Steeler's offensive line should be the worst we've faced so far...I could see us shutting down the Steelers offense. But on the flip side, I remember that Cousins just went 23-27....so....

Pick: Steelers

Rex

Reaction score
"Surprised nobody has picked us yet."

Look at the second post in this thread. :th2thumbs:

chris98251

Reaction score
Rex":tk8j13jg said:

Quote is accurate Nobody picked them.

Rex

Reaction score
chris98251":24k59p0n said:
Rex":24k59p0n said:

Quote is accurate Nobody picked them.

Quote is inaccurate because I picked the Rams to win. You should take that post to the shack. .....though I won't report you. :141847_bnono:

Fade

Reaction score
Pittsburgh (1-1) @ St. Louis (1-1)

I'm 0-2 picking the Jekyll & Hyde Rams. I will forever hate the Jeff Fisher Rams for always playing the Seahawks like it's the Superbowl, and then turn around and lay an egg the next week against a garbage opponent. I think the Rams pressure and harass Big Ben and force a couple turnovers early, and Nick Foles has a good day against a terrible Pittsburgh secondary.

PIT 24 - STL 27

Santa Clara (1-1) @ Arizona (2-0)

Colin Kaepernick is horrible against the blitz. AZ blitzes him into oblivion. The End. Meanwhile the Santa Clara defense is adjusting to a new DC, and no Aldon Smith or Justin Smith. Palmer should have plenty of time to find his targets down field.

SC 16 - AZ 30

Chicago (0-2) @ Seattle (0-2)

Everyone's expecting a blowout. I'm not. The Seahawks will be mind numbingly conservative on offense and allow Chicago to hang around. Clausen will look like a competent QB for long stretches of the game, but Seattle will clamp down and make the plays in the 4th quarter to win.

CHI 20 - SEA 28

NFC WEST standings after Week 3
Arizona 3-0
St. Louis 2-1
Santa Clara 1-2
Seattle 1-2

Erebus

Reaction score
I've never thought of the Cardinals as the model of consistency. After the asswhooping they put on the Bears and the asswhooping the 49ers received from the Steelers, the Cardinals have a lot of reasons to be overconfident. It smells like a trap game to me. I think they can easily lay an egg here. I don't have the slightest clue what will happen, but I'm going to go ahead and pick them to lose (I see it more as the Cards losing than the 49ers winning).

I think PIT's offense will be too much for STL. They won't be able to keep up.

The Seahawks finally get an easy game and a chance to get right. They will easily win.

SF 2-1
ARI 2-1
STL 1-2
SEA 1-2

SF49r

Reaction score
Niners over cards
Rams over steelers
Seahawks over bears

drdiags

Reaction score
Current Record: 3-1

9ers vs Cardinals - Teams will start working the kinks out so I expect a better performances from the 9er. I think they play a competitive game but I am going with the Cardinals.

Cards 3-0
9ers 1-2

Rams hosting the Steelers - I think the Rams can give Big Ben a hard time, but he is like Rodgers. You cannot get the man on the ground. Not sure what happened to the Rams run D, they looked like a sieve against the Skins. I think the Rams can move the ball on the Steelers but they will not be able to get into a shoot-out with the Steelers. I am going to take the Steelers after getting hosed by the Rams last week. They have to show me what type of team they are going to be.

Rams 1-2

Bears visiting the Seahawks - This game looks like one they can get healthy on with the possible loss of Cutler and Alshon still hobbled. The Seahawks run D got gashed again by a backup runner so I wouldn't expect to see Forte held in check. Bennett will hurt us as well, both of them. The Seahawks offense needs to pull their head out and Wilson may just have to start forcing throws. If you are going to put it up deep to Willson with double-coverage, you may as well put it up deep to Graham. The running game hasn't taken off and the passing game is hit or miss. Does the team get healthy against the Bears? The betting line thinks so. I will go with that thought.

Seattle 1-2

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
To date: 4-4

9ers at Cards.....

Pretty easy pick here. AZ is playing very well, 9ers are depleted. Game is in Tempe.

Cards 31, Santa Clara 16

Bears at Seahawks....

Also a pretty easy pick. Hawks don't get completely squared away, but do get better.

Hawks 27, Bears 13

Stealers at Lambs.....

Really a tough call here. The biggest question is which Lambs team shows up. Whenever in doubt choose the home team.

Lambs 26, Stealers 24

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Ramfan128":2rjtoydr said:
Rams vs. Steelers

Surprised nobody has picked us yet. Only because of the reputation for taking down good teams. This Steeler's offensive line should be the worst we've faced so far...I could see us shutting down the Steelers offense. But on the flip side, I remember that Cousins just went 23-27....so....

Pick: Steelers

Leveon Bell is back too.

Good luck.

RedAlice

Reaction score
I was reading through some Steeler's fans comments re the Rams game. They basically think Rams are schizo. :D And, they are. I'm keeping the faith for week 3 and going with the good Rams team showing up and a win at home even w Le Belle back on the field.

Rams win
Hawks win
Niners Lose to AZ
AZ wins

kearly

Reaction score
This is the opposite of week one, when every game felt like a toss up. The Cards, Seahawks, and Steelers are all heavy favorites.

Cardinals 3-0
Seahawks 1-2
49ers 1-2
Rams 1-2