Cardinals OG Mike Iupati expected to be out 6-8 weeks

ringless

Reaction score
Yes thats very bad news for us. To make things worse

‏@mikejurecki 16m16 minutes ago
As for Corey Peters the trainer was looking at his left Achilles-Calf, and he was carted off the field.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I'm tellin ya...guy just hasn't been able to stay healthy. That and the fact that he plays guard and wanted huge $$$ are the reasons the Niners never really even tried to keep him.

When he's healthy and on his game, he's outstanding as a run blocker, but he always had deficiencies in pass protection and was always nursing an injury of some sort. I like big Mike, but there is a reason the Niners weren't going to pay him what he wanted. If they were, they'd have resigned him 2 years early like they did with Anthony Davis (who then retired...lol).

Instead they've spent the last two tears drafting his eventual replacement in Marcus Martin and Brandon Thomas.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Marvin49":3up29p3z said:
I'm tellin ya...guy just hasn't been able to stay healthy. That and the fact that he plays guard and wanted huge $$$ are the reasons the Niners never really even tried to keep him.

When he's healthy and on his game, he's outstanding as a run blocker, but he always had deficiencies in pass protection and was always nursing an injury of some sort. I like big Mike, but there is a reason the Niners weren't going to pay him what he wanted. If they were, they'd have resigned him 2 years early like they did with Anthony Davis (who then retired...lol).

Instead they've spent the last two tears drafting his eventual replacement in Marcus Martin and Brandon Thomas.

Because the 49ers are so smart Marvin and the Cardinals are apparently stupid? What is your point? Why do you feel the need to tell us how smart your team was for not resigning him. ringless' team just experienced an injury and your instincts are to use this as a platform to tell us what an amazing front office you think you have and apparently how stupid his team was for signing him. Real classy.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
bigtrain21":cm1anh4v said:
Marvin49":cm1anh4v said:

Because the 49ers are so smart Marvin and the Cardinals are apparently stupid? What is your point? Why do you feel the need to tell us how smart your team was for not resigning him. ringless' team just experienced an injury and your instincts are to use this as a platform to tell us what an amazing front office you think you have and apparently how stupid his team was for signing him. Real classy.
Some Hawk fans will say the same damn thing if Unger gets hurt.

Rex

Reaction score
ringless":3qupwmgf said:
Yes thats very bad news for us. To make things worse

‏@mikejurecki 16m16 minutes ago
As for Corey Peters the trainer was looking at his left Achilles-Calf, and he was carted off the field.

Sorry man that sucks. (as I quickly try to see who the Rams play in the first 5 games of the season...)

ringless

Reaction score
bigtrain21":219zf5rm said:
Marvin49":219zf5rm said:

Oh come on, I don't think Marvin meant it that way. I think they are more bitter that Iupati doesnt play for them. He still hasn't missed a game in over 3 years so time will tell. Players are always nursing injuries.

Speaking of that Front Office reference. Darnell Dockett was overpaid and injured on a downward slide in performance.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
bigtrain21":3ajle0tf said:
Marvin49":3ajle0tf said:

He never said that--quit trippin, bro.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3ankhd1g said:

I know I will. Unger has missed a lot of games and I don't expect that to change. But you are right, many fans use hindsight to drink even more koolaid.

ringless

Reaction score
kearly":1zuf3rfm said:
Scottemojo":1zuf3rfm said:

I know I will. Unger has missed a lot of games and I don't expect that to change. But you are right, many fans use hindsight to drink even more koolaid.

I would agree with this.

Injuries have a lot to do with Luck. Arians isn't causing the injuries. Torn ACL's over the league and knee injuries in general have a lot more to do with the fact that Knees are not designed for football at all. Then an FO or coach.

endzorn

Reaction score
Marvin49":2n1ag1cp said:

I totally forgot about Brandon Thomas. I think that kid is going to be an animal. It was a shrewd get by the Niners because IIRC he was coming off a serious injury in college.

rlkats

Reaction score
Sucks for the big man. Here is to a rapid recovery. I always have liked Iupati.

Marvin49

Reaction score
bigtrain21":19xeezdw said:
Marvin49":19xeezdw said:

Seriously?

Is THAT what I said? Wow.

Nothing I just said isn't something I wouldn't have said prior to him leaving SF. They were NEVER going to pay him what he wanted. They were never going to pay a guard that much money. They didn't value the position at that $$$$ level. Simple as that.

He's also ALWAYS been a liability in pass protection. The guy is a MONSTER though in the run game. Just because the 49ers don't value a guard that highly doesn't mean that I think the Cardinals with different priorities shouldn't either. Mike is an all pro player being added to a line in Arizona that could really use one.

There is a reason just about every free agent becomes a free agent. If they were perfect players, their original team would have done almost anything in their power to keep them. Such is the case with Mike Iupati. I loved the guy. I didn't want to see him go...but that doesn't mean that everything I said isn't 100% true.

That's also doesn't mean that the Cardinals didn't sign with their eyes wide open knowing exactly what they were getting.

Marvin49

Reaction score
ringless":oawmo28f said:
bigtrain21":oawmo28f said:
Marvin49":oawmo28f said:

Oh come on, I don't think Marvin meant it that way. I think they are more bitter that Iupati doesnt play for them. He still hasn't missed a game in over 3 years so time will tell. Players are always nursing injuries.

Speaking of that Front Office reference. Darnell Dockett was overpaid and injured on a downward slide in performance.

Thanks...yes, I didn't mean it that way at all. I'd love it if Mike were still a 49er...they just weren't going to pay what he got from Arizona. If Healthy, the guy is a monster in the run game.

Marvin49

Reaction score
endzorn":2yub56bj said:
Marvin49":2yub56bj said:

I totally forgot about Brandon Thomas. I think that kid is going to be an animal. It was a shrewd get by the Niners because IIRC he was coming off a serious injury in college.

I like Brandon Thomas, but we'll just have to see. They have some young guys to prove they can take Boones spot (Boone moved from RG to LG to replace Iupati), but as yet, its still competition of the unproven.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Marvin49":100ks9i4 said:
endzorn":100ks9i4 said:
Marvin49":100ks9i4 said:

I like Brandon Thomas, but we'll just have to see. They have some young guys to prove they can take Boones spot (Boone moved from RG to LG to replace Iupati), but as yet, its still competition of the unproven.

If Marcus Martin or Joe Looney start ahead of Thomas, I'm not sure I will be able to contain my laughter.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2015":llhz9g4k said:
Marvin49":llhz9g4k said:
endzorn":llhz9g4k said:
Marvin49":llhz9g4k said:

If Marcus Martin or Joe Looney start ahead of Thomas, I'm not sure I will be able to contain my laughter.

uh...OK.

Looney was a 4th round pick and is currently a backup Center. Marcus Martin was a 3rd round pick last year and has played well in camp. He started the preseason opener at RG. Not sure why that would be funny.