Mangini as 9ers DC?

Marvin49

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":ks3i2twe said:
Jesus. things are not good over there, are they? How are you gonna spin this one, Marvin? Wasn't there a rumor they were gonna hire Lane Kiffin as OC? What are they playing at?

Mangini's actually been with the team for a few years now, first as an offensive assistant and then the TE coach last year.

Spin? Not gonna. No idea how that's gonna work out.

Lane Kiffin? One of the 49er beat writers (Matt Maiocco) said that rumor was over-reported and that would be a big surprise to him. Whats most likely going on is they want Rob Chudzinski. Indy blocked the interview (Chicago and St. Louis asked as well), but his contract is up on Jan 31st...so even though they are currently blocking the interview, he's free in 9 or 10 days.

Indy is probably trying to extend him and SF is waiting it out.

BTW, they also hired Tony Sparano today to be their TE coach.

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":14umv66i said:
That's a damned shame for Sparano. I've always kinda liked him as a coach, he should be an OC at a minimum, IMO.

Looks like they are interviewing Perry Fewell as DB coach.

Say what you want, but they are surrounding Tomsula with a lot of experienced coaches.

The odd thing to me though is that they have a lot of offensive coaches so far (Foerster for O-Line, Sparano for TE, Tom Rathman for RBs, POSSIBLY Ronald Curry for WRs -was assistant last year and they blocked him from interviewing so he'll be SOMETHING, Geep Chryst in some capacity, Eric Wolford as Assistant O-Line coach) and have not yet announced an OC.

Makes me wonder if they already have their guy and can't announce it or if they are just trying to secure assistants before they are off the market while they wait on their potential OC.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3cfhhgwj said:
Jesus. things are not good over there, are they? How are you gonna spin this one, Marvin? Wasn't there a rumor they were gonna hire Lane Kiffin as OC? What are they playing at?

Anything is a crap shoot. No need for Marv to spin anything, it is what it is, nothing we do as fans will change that. We'll all just have to wait and see.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
It honestly feels like Baalke is trying to assemble the worst staff on paper imaginable to prove some point that coaching doesn't matter. I guess Harbaugh getting all the credit really grated on him.

Mangini? The dude couldn't even sniff a job a couple years ago. I honestly thought the TE job with the Niners was a charity case type thing. I can't believe he is considered by anyone to be a viable DC at the NFL level.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Mangini. Awesome. The guy who thought coaching involved painting over murals of past greats in Cleveland. Pretended to be Bill Belichick, and it was a total disaster.

I like Sparano, he has some talent. He will make a great interim coach after Baalke bones the whole thing and Jed starts over. It's a good plan really, get a bunch of ex head coaches on the same staff because it's such a proven strategy!

It really is starting to smell like the Niners can't get the better coaches to sign up. Those better coaches are going to jobs that offer more future stability for sure. I bet a look at the salaries of the coaches now vs last year would show a staggering reduction in pay for the staff. What was the sales pitch for Tarver and Sparano? You won't have to move?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
DavidSeven":39vs53kj said:
Mangini? The dude couldn't even sniff a job a couple years ago. I honestly thought the TE job with the Niners was a charity case type thing. I can't believe he is considered by anyone to be a viable DC at the NFL level.

In addition to the 9ers in the past couple weeks he has interviewed for at least for one HC position and two DC positions.

Who knows how it turns out, but there has been interest in him this off-season,.

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":b9ldjmc6 said:
Mangini. Awesome. The guy who thought coaching involved painting over murals of past greats in Cleveland. Pretended to be Bill Belichick, and it was a total disaster.

I like Sparano, he has some talent. He will make a great interim coach after Baalke bones the whole thing and Jed starts over. It's a good plan really, get a bunch of ex head coaches on the same staff because it's such a proven strategy!

It really is starting to smell like the Niners can't get the better coaches to sign up. Those better coaches are going to jobs that offer more future stability for sure. I bet a look at the salaries of the coaches now vs last year would show a staggering reduction in pay for the staff. What was the sales pitch for Tarver and Sparano? You won't have to move?

That's what a lot of Niner fans are saying...I'm not so sure.

I have no idea what to expect from Mangini, but Sparano I think was a good hire, Tarver was a good hire especially since its as a LB coach, Perry Fewell who is being interviewed today would be a good hire as a DB coach...all of those position coaches have been coordinators. Been talk of bringing Bryant Young back as DL coach (played for Tomsula), but not sure if that's gonna happen because he's apparently going through a personal situation that caused him to leave Florida.

Not too bad IMO. Mangini tho...HUGE question mark, that's for sure. I don't love it and I don't hate it mostly because I really don't know what to expect from him. My guess is he sticks with the 3-4 so that makes me happy. The guy they wanted was Vance Josephs from the Bengals. Broncos wanted him too. Bengals blocked the interview.

For OC, Indy blocked Rob Chudzinski, but the latest I've heard is his contract expires on Monday and that both the 49ers and Rams will want to interview him. I'd love that hire if they could pull it off.

pehawk

Reaction score
No way it's cost cutting. That'd be so out of character for any York. It's not like they only cared about winning to get a new stadium built.

WendellWent

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1gnpw885 said:

Considering Harbaugh lobbied to have his staffed be extremely well compensated, it was a sure thing salaries would be going down. That is like saying I bet if you looked at the temp in Summer vs Winter, I bet you will find warmer temps. Duh.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":oxfl8iv8 said:
The guy they wanted was Vance Josephs from the Bengals. Broncos wanted him too. Bengals blocked the interview.

For OC, Indy blocked Rob Chudzinski, but the latest I've heard is his contract expires on Monday and that both the 49ers and Rams will want to interview him. I'd love that hire if they could pull it off.

I don't think I realized until this year that teams can block interviews for promotions as long as it's not an interview for promotion from coordinator to head coach. I always assumed that it was just lateral interviews that they could block.

Not that it changes anything this year, but I have to imagine this is going to change (if someone complained and the NFL wants to maintain its antitrust exemption the courts would have a field day over this; it's just pretty nuts).

Popeyejones

Reaction score
pehawk":1aq36lcz said:
No way it's cost cutting. That'd be so out of character for any York. It's not like they only cared about winning to get a new stadium built.

The 49ers have had a top five highest paid coaching staff in the NFL over the last several years. We can blame a ton of things for the dissolution of the relationship between the FO and previous coaching staff, but being cheap just isn't one of them, IMO. Harbaugh even talked about this when he was head coach and said he wasn't motivated by his personal salary, and instead, celebrated how much all of his coordinators and position coaches made. People scoffed at this at the time (when the prevailing theory was that he wanted more money), but it turns that was wrong (he decided to forsake huge pay raises in the NFL to return to college for the same salary).

And it looks like it will be similar this year beyond Tomsula's contract (stacking the positional coaching staff with tons of former coordinators, none of whom are no-names that are going to come really cheap).

pehawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":aqfx7gfb said:
pehawk":aqfx7gfb said:

The 49ers have had a top five highest paid coaching staff in the NFL over the last several years. We can blame a ton of things for the dissolution of the relationship between the FO and previous coaching staff, but being cheap just isn't one of them, IMO. Harbaugh even talked about this when he was head coach and said he wasn't motivated by his personal salary, and instead, celebrated how much all of his coordinators and position coaches made. People scoffed at this at the time (when the prevailing theory was that he wanted more money), but it turns that was wrong (he decided to forsake huge pay raises in the NFL to return to college for the same salary).

And it looks like it will be similar this year beyond Tomsula's contract (stacking the positional coaching staff with tons of former coordinators, none of whom are no-names that are going to come really cheap).

Totally...

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
Would be awesome Mangina got the Niner OC or DC jobs. He was straight up turrible in Cleveland, and he was trash as the Niner's 'consultant'.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1kxpexqk said:
pehawk":1kxpexqk said:

You are guessing. You have no idea what they are getting paid.

Though I will laugh my ass off if it ever goes public that Mangini is getting more than Tomsula.

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2xf4sokh said:
Popeyejones":2xf4sokh said:
pehawk":2xf4sokh said:

You are guessing. You have no idea what they are getting paid.

Though I will laugh my ass off if it ever goes public that Mangini is getting more than Tomsula.

Not completely.

Been reported for a few years now that the Niners had one of the highest paid coaching staffs in the NFL....Fangio in particular. Harbaugh made a big deal about paying his assistants well.

Did the same at Michigan BTW and reportedly turned down money in order to devote that money to his assistants.

Highly doubt Manginis getting more. I think Fangio was getting like 2 mil per or something like that and Tomsula is making 3.5 per. Harbaugh was making 5.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
New England Patriots Defense:

2004: #2 points allowed, #7 DVOA (DC: Romeo Crennel)
2005: #26 points allowed, #24 DVOA (DC: Eric Mangini)
2006: #6 points allowed, #4 DVOA (DC: Dean Peas)

Mangini has never held a DC position outside of that year.

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1hgcxce5 said:

Trust me...lol...those numbers are quoted all over Niner forums.

Worth noting that they lost Rodney Harrison to injury, Ty Law to Free Agency, Teddy Buschi to a stroke, and the other starting LBs as well that year....and he was made a HC after that year. He was also the DB coach for 4 years before that and has three rings.

That's kinda why I'm sayin....got no idea what to expect. Not exactly jumping for joy.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Marvin49":3ubnhwbu said:
DavidSeven":3ubnhwbu said:

Trust me...lol...those numbers are quoted all over Niner forums.

Worth noting that they lost Rodney Harrison to injury, Ty Law to Free Agency, Teddy Buschi to a stroke, and the other starting LBs as well that year....and he was made a HC after that year. He was also the DB coach for 4 years before that and has three rings.

That's kinda why I'm sayin....got no idea what to expect. Not exactly jumping for joy.
Fangio lost more than that this year, and he did awesome.