OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3ufhdncp said:
Marvin49":3ufhdncp said:
DavidSeven":3ufhdncp said:
New England Patriots Defense:

2004: #2 points allowed, #7 DVOA (DC: Romeo Crennel)
2005: #26 points allowed, #24 DVOA (DC: Eric Mangini)
2006: #6 points allowed, #4 DVOA (DC: Dean Peas)

Mangini has never held a DC position outside of that year.

Trust me...lol...those numbers are quoted all over Niner forums.

Worth noting that they lost Rodney Harrison to injury, Ty Law to Free Agency, Teddy Buschi to a stroke, and the other starting LBs as well that year....and he was made a HC after that year. He was also the DB coach for 4 years before that and has three rings.

That's kinda why I'm sayin....got no idea what to expect. Not exactly jumping for joy.
Fangio lost more than that this year, and he did awesome.

No doubt.

Not selling Mangini. Just dunno whats gonna happen. There was a point there where he was sought after. When he was the DB coach several teams tried to hire him away as a DC. Peeps keep talking about how smart he is.

Maybe the guy's a genius. Maybe the guy's a fraud. Dunno. We'll see.

rideaducati

Reaction score
This niner team is going to be the next decade's rams. This site will have more rams posts than niner posts and I am looking forward to it.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Scottemojo":14sgkmne said:
You are guessing. You have no idea what they are getting paid.

You're saying the current staff? Well, sure, nobody knows what they're getting paid, and it's impossible to know because the whole staff hasn't even been assembled yet.

They look to be (wisely, IMO) surrounding Tomsula with positional coaches and coordinators who all have HC experience. My assumption is that positional coaches with HC experience likely get paid more than quality control coaches who get promoted up to positional coaches. It's a really, really, really, safe assumption.

If you're saying I'm guessing about what the coaches have been paid over the last four years, I'm not. The 9ers have had one of the highest paid coaching staffs in the NFL over the past four years. It has been reported widely.

Likewise, they're up against the salary cap every year.

If Jed was simply a penny pincher he'd 1) be promoting quality control coaches to coordinator positions rather than bringing in former coordinators and HCs, 2) wouldn't have been outspending the league on his coaching staff these last four years, and 3) wouldn't be butting up against the salary cap every year (the biggest one, by far, in terms of penny pinching).

There are no shortage of areas in which one could criticize Jed York, but being cheap just simply isn't one them.

Scottemojo":14sgkmne said:
Though I will laugh my ass off if it ever goes public that Mangini is getting more than Tomsula.

The highest paid coordinators in the league make around 2 million per. Tomsula makes 3.5. Don't hold your breath. :D

sc85sis

Reaction score
Popeyejones":gp0phcv8 said:
pehawk":gp0phcv8 said:
No way it's cost cutting. That'd be so out of character for any York. It's not like they only cared about winning to get a new stadium built.

The 49ers have had a top five highest paid coaching staff in the NFL over the last several years. We can blame a ton of things for the dissolution of the relationship between the FO and previous coaching staff, but being cheap just isn't one of them, IMO. Harbaugh even talked about this when he was head coach and said he wasn't motivated by his personal salary, and instead, celebrated how much all of his coordinators and position coaches made. People scoffed at this at the time (when the prevailing theory was that he wanted more money), but it turns that was wrong (he decided to forsake huge pay raises in the NFL to return to college for the same salary).

And it looks like it will be similar this year beyond Tomsula's contract (stacking the positional coaching staff with tons of former coordinators, none of whom are no-names that are going to come really cheap).

I don't think Harbaugh is motivated by money. It should be noted though that the "same salary" in Ann Arbor is actually an increase due to cost of living vs. San Francisco. In essence he got about a 30-40% bump in pay.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Santa Clara is a dumpster fire. 6-10 next year, as they squander their boatload of talent, and the future will look increasingly grim for them as more of their former Pro Bowlers retire or sign elsewhere. Justin Smith will retire now or after next season. Mike Iupati will sign elsewhere (hopefully with us). Aldon Smith will screw up again this off-season and then will be released. Chris Culliver, not that he was anything close to a Pro Bowler, will sign elsewhere. Ahmad Brooks will be released. Frank Gore will sign elsewhere. Boldin, Bowman, and Willis don't have many more good years left. The heat will really be turned up on Colin Kapernick. It's going to be pretty ugly for them. Their owner deserves it.

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2015":16w5xt7b said:
Santa Clara is a dumpster fire. 6-10 next year, as they squander their boatload of talent, and the future will look increasingly grim for them as more of their former Pro Bowlers retire or sign elsewhere. Justin Smith will retire now or after next season. Mike Iupati will sign elsewhere (hopefully with us). Aldon Smith will screw up again this off-season and then will be released. Chris Culliver, not that he was anything close to a Pro Bowler, will sign elsewhere. Ahmad Brooks will be released. Frank Gore will sign elsewhere. Boldin, Bowman, and Willis don't have many more good years left. The heat will really be turned up on Colin Kapernick. It's going to be pretty ugly for them. Their owner deserves it.

Cool. Now I don't have to watch the games for a few years. :D

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
Throwdown":112vwiqd said:
lol Bowman doesn't have anymore good years left? He's only 26...

I know....just didn't feel like arguing with him. :D

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Marvin49":2slwcu3o said:
Throwdown":2slwcu3o said:

He said "don't have many more good years", which is a big difference.

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
bigtrain21":2g3e51ef said:
Marvin49":2g3e51ef said:
Throwdown":2g3e51ef said:

He said "don't have many more good years", which is a big difference.

So I guess Sherman, Earl and Chancellor "don't have many more good years" either.

That's refreshing. :)