ODB is great, but why haven't we heard of this catch?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, Beckham was my favorite receiver coming out of the draft, based mostly n the way he hand catches the ball. But, Brent Grimes' catch is almost identical catch! Except it's an INT. Guess you have to play in NY.

[youtube]SORr6Jh58fU[/youtube]

getnasty

Reaction score
They made a big deal about it at the time but its far from ODB.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Are you kidding? The vert on that int was sick!

And can we please stop calling him ODB? There's only one ODB and his name is Big Baby Jesus.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
This catch was better because he actually used his left hand to help secure it. If OBJ had dropped the ball because of his attempt to make a flashy one-handed catch, it would have been just as bad as DeSean Jackson's ill-timed TD celebration. Secure the football.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
It reminds me off all the over hype on clowney when he ran unblocked in to some unknown running back and tackled him. Any large unblocked defensive player could have blown that RB up, but the hype machine had started and was running full tilt.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
ivotuk":2d700ls2 said:
It reminds me off all the over hype on clowney when he ran unblocked in to some unknown running back and tackled him. Any large unblocked defensive player could have blown that RB up, but the hype machine had started and was running full tilt.
Ding ding ding ding ding...

Unfortunately, it seems to have worked on most of the people of this forum for OBJ as well, based on that "greatest catch ever" thread with his three-fingered catch...The one where, at the time he had to actually catch it, nobody was within a yard of him...

jkitsune

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2hmfmo1t said:
ivotuk":2hmfmo1t said:
Ding ding ding ding ding...

Unfortunately, it seems to have worked on most of the people of this forum for OBJ as well, based on that "greatest catch ever" thread with his three-fingered catch...The one where, at the time he had to actually catch it, nobody was within a yard of him...

Unlike this incredible INT, where he made the pick in traffic? :roll: There's less contact on this highlight than OBJ's.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
jkitsune":35wlik1h said:
Unlike this incredible INT, where he made the pick in traffic? :roll: There's less contact on this highlight than OBJ's.
Where'd I say one word about this interception catch?

Thank you, please come again. :)

Apu Nahasapeemapetilon The Simpsons

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
This catch was all over the highlights when it happened. I must have seen it 20 times that day. It's a great catch and INT but it's not a better catch than Beckham's. It's just not.

The Grimes catch might be top 10 or 5 for the season, and as an INT in the end zone I understand the value behind it, but Beckham's catch is top 5 all time, circumstance aside... Maybe the best.

themunn

Reaction score
I think OBJ's catch was seriously overrated. Yeah it's a good one no doubt, but he's thrown out his hand and caught the ball falling backwards - he hasn't had to worry about making sure he stays inbounds and touches both feet down.

Hell, I think Tate's 1 handed catch against the Falcons last year where he was in the corner of the endzone being pushed out by the defender and still caught the ball, controlled it and kept his feet inbound. all with one hand (another skill I think is entirely overrated, as catch the ball with one hand isn't particularly difficult if you have reasonably large hands).

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ivotuk":e049ha3k said:

Clowney has always been a monster though.. its his durability that's been the question.

Just like Jevon Kearse back in the day.. Kearse was borderline unblockable when he was healthy.. but injury after injury derailed that in a hurry. Hopefully the same thing doesn't happen to Clowney, but it could.

I guess what I'm trying to say is.. the hype on Clowney was warranted.. but his injury bugaboo may not allow him to live up to it.

As for the Grimes catch.. it was a hell of a grab, but no.. ODB's was better.

jkitsune

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3ftn8mdw said:
jkitsune":3ftn8mdw said:
Where'd I say one word about this interception catch?

Thank you, please come again. :)

Apu Nahasapeemapetilon The Simpsons

Dammit, you're ruining my chance to try to needle you about an opinion I just happen to disagree with! You win this round.