If Holmgren Became the new 49ers Coach...

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The media reported that Holmgren or Jon Gruden could potentially be in the running for the new HC for the 49ers.

It made sense. I could see both being a fit. However, Gruden took himself out of the running when he announced on MNF tonight that he was locking himself in for a contract with MNF until 2021.

Cool for me because I enjoy listening to his analysis every Monday during the NFL season. He was on my short list for a replacement to Mora Jr.

So that leaves a very real possibility for Holmgren. He's no spring chicken but I believe the fire still burns very bright and he is itching to come back to the NFL as a HC to give it one more go to see if he can take yet another team to the promised land.

So, question 12's...

If Holmgren becomes the new HC for the 49ers, would the hatred still run deep or would there be a smidgen of apathy or acceptance because it's an old friend and not the douche we loved to hate running the sidelines?

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I could learn to hate Holmgren with the quickness. It won't happen, but I could.

Rocket

Reaction score
My money is on El Douche being the King Raider... if, of course, the media's report about Mom and the Bay is right?

Walrus? NIners? Kindness?
Not this decade.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Wouldn't bother me. I like holmgren. Dunno though, would he want kaep as a QB? Doesn't seem like a fit.

was bummed to hear gruden was staying on MNF. I enjoy him on there but I also think he's too good a coach to not be coaching. He must really enjoy broadcasting to take himself off the market that long. Dunno how binding those contracts are though

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The only reason I dislike the 49ers is their fans, and that wouldn't change. I would fear the 3rd and long draw though.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Man the more I think about it the more it makes sense. Obvious ties to San Fran, loves living in the PNW...I bet the Big Salmon will be the new coach to the 49ers.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Holmy would bring some class to that org, hopefully the fan base would follow suit, but I wouldn't bet on it.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Hawknballs":1aqom9e8 said:
I enjoy him on there but I also think he's too good a coach to not be coaching. He must really enjoy broadcasting to take himself off the market that long.

Yeah I was surprised as well. The money must be very good. I would think he - like Holmgren - has an eternal fire for coaching, one that can't be extinguished by a media gig.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Hawknballs":33rel114 said:
Wouldn't bother me. I like holmgren. Dunno though, would he want kaep as a QB? Doesn't seem like a fit.

was bummed to hear gruden was staying on MNF. I enjoy him on there but I also think he's too good a coach to not be coaching. He must really enjoy broadcasting to take himself off the market that long. Dunno how binding those contracts are though

Think i recall him in the past talking about how he enjoys the time spent as a broadcaster vs the 14 hour days as a head coach. From all intents and purposes if you read some comments over the years by Jon it is safe to assume he has a clause in his espn contract that lets him out to go back to coaching. Its a smart situation on his part. If a job that he is interested in they would have to pay him mucho bucks to pull him away.

Sac

Reaction score
Kaep isn't good enough to play for Holmy. That's fine with me. That and a 3rd and long draw play that everyone knows is coming.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Don't think they'd really hire him. And I doubt Kathy would be thrilled either. I respect him for what he did here. But I started getting burned out on him towards the end.

I did see that him and Martz are coaching against each other for a college game. Maybe that will be a stepping stone or starting point for teams needing a coach to see if he still has it or not.

:3-1:

AgentDib

Reaction score
I don't see Holmgren as a very good fit. A lot of the supposed conflict between Harbaugh and Baalke is about control and Harbaugh wishing he had more of it. Does Holmgren really want to go somewhere to just coach without a larger voice? And if so, does the current 49er roster really play into the finesse WCO he prefers?

There are so many better fits out there for the 49ers. Defensive guys like Bowles, Quinn, Horton or even Fangio who would keep the emphasis on their strength, or an OC like Shurmur who will bring the sort of spread/running game that would complement Kaepernick.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I hate the Niners because of Kaep, but a Holmgren coached team couldn't compete with the physicality of this division now, so they'd quickly be irrelevant. In that case, I'd be all for it.

endzorn

Reaction score
I would love it. Holmgren was good here, but this division sucked for the vast majority of his tenure and other than one season we were pretty much a 7-9 to 10-6 team. His finesse style of offense would get abused in this division. Precision offense and alerts see built to just get by are not going to survive here.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
Aros":wjf425n5 said:
The media reported that Holmgren or Jon Gruden could potentially be in the running for the new HC for the 49ers.

It made sense. I could see both being a fit. However, Gruden took himself out of the running when he announced on MNF tonight that he was locking himself in for a contract with MNF until 2021.

Cool for me because I enjoy listening to his analysis every Monday during the NFL season. He was on my short list for a replacement to Mora Jr.

So that leaves a very real possibility for Holmgren. He's no spring chicken but I believe the fire still burns very bright and he is itching to come back to the NFL as a HC to give it one more go to see if he can take yet another team to the promised land.

So, question 12's...

If Holmgren becomes the new HC for the 49ers, would the hatred still run deep or would there be a smidgen of apathy or acceptance because it's an old friend and not the douche we loved to hate running the sidelines?

I don't think they will make him coach as he has to much class for them. Kapernick is not his style of QB, and I really don't want it as I can't dislike the guy.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
endzorn":184vo0iy said:
I would love it. Holmgren was good here, but this division sucked for the vast majority of his tenure and other than one season we were pretty much a 7-9 to 10-6 team. His finesse style of offense would get abused in this division. Precision offense and alerts see built to just get by are not going to survive here.

Yup, all of this. Let's get a petition to Jed York going.

And the only way I could hate Holmgren is if he somehow became coach of the Seahawks again.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3hxopj1d said:
Kaep isn't good enough to play for Holmy. That's fine with me. That and a 3rd and long draw play that everyone knows is coming.

Ahhh ... I don't know that I agree with you there Sac. I make it a point of listening to Holmgren's segments on KJR. I've heard most of them and they have discussed Kaepernick on several occasions. I remember one segment in particular in which Holmgren was just gushing over his talents and his ability as a pocket passer. He felt that he was a really fine football player.

Now admittedly, things have changed this year in terms of our perceptions of Kaepernick. But don't you see Holmgren as a guy who (if Kaepernick is willing) could take Kaepernick and totally remake him and resurrect his career? I most certainly can see that happening. Who knows QB's and can work with them better than Mike Holmgren?

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Aros that Holmgren to Santa Clara makes too much sense. With his ties to the organization, that's something that I can definitely see happening. And that frankly turns my stomach just a wee bit.