Current NFL Officiating

Largent80

Reaction score
This has been discussed ad-nauseam, however after yesterdays game, i had to quit watching in the 1st quarter.

It is killing my desire to watch. So many terrible calls week in and week out and NOT just in our games.

It is hard to take that some jackass that is not even a professional, although they have their own union are allowed to affect the outcomes of games league wide. I'm glad to say the players support what I just typed.

Here is what Earl had to say after the game......"Yeah, at least give us a shot," Thomas said. "But you know what? I'm not surprised with the refereeing this season. If you really look at some plays, we're playing more than our opponents. We're playing the referees, too. I don't care what anyone is saying. Something is wrong. It needs to be brought up."

He didn't stop there.

"It's kind of crazy how football is turning out now," Thomas said. "You give a guy, just because he wears a white and black shirt, he has authority of the game, and they need to stay out of it. That's my key. And let us dominate."

http://mynorthwest.com/292/2627440/Seah ... ferees-too

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
I wanted to post a thread on this but figured there was too many on that last play.

I'm tired of these assholes determining the outcome of the game. Yes we should have not been in that position to begin with. But, They ruined one last chance for our offense. I firmly believe our offense could get the job done. A few pass plays to setup the FG opportunity for Hauschka to win the game for us. But no, they didn't want to be wrong, they didn't have a discussion, nothing. 2 Rams players didn't have full possession and one knee on the ground and Sherman was the last player on top of the ball, and the refs gave it back to the Rams. Can we please blame the refs for a change? Sure, we sucked the entire game but we could have had one last Fing chance to win it, and Wilson would've gotten the job done.

I'm just pissed off they didn't at LEAST review it. AT LEAST review the damn play. Why the hell can you review Helfet's 4th Q TD and not review the last play of the game? It pisses me off.

End Rant. Looking forward to next week against Carolina. Should be a good one.

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
I actually was mentioning this to a friend if mine yesterday. I'm getting sick of the nfl, every game you turn on the refs seem to be dominating a game. I can honestly say that for the first time I am losing interest in the NFL. It's getting soft, petty and extremely incompetent when it comes to the refs, or corrupt, pick your poison. I was angry after Super Bowl 40. This time around I'm actually losing interest in the game itself.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Glad someone posted this, the games are getting un watchable. Were not the only ones that think this, its league-wide. We need a fan walkout day. nobody goes, nobody watches. even if only partially successful, it would send a message. you are ruining this game. A penalty should literally jump out at you, not this phantom bullshit I see in every game.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Just No! No! NO!!! can we NOT be the type of fans who blame all our losses on officiating. Like we tell all other fans who complain about refs what about this play or that play, tell ourselves that too. There were so many other plays our team could have (and should have) won this game. I'm sure had the Hawks won this game, the Rams fans could have pointed to a few calls or non-calls that lost them a play or two as well. Lets not go down this rabbit hole of sore loser fan who blames the refs.

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
ZagHawk":3reufm4c said:
Just No! No! NO!!! can we NOT be the type of fans who blame all our losses on officiating. Like we tell all other fans who complain about refs what about this play or that play, tell ourselves that too. There were so many other plays our team could have (and should have) won this game. I'm sure had the Hawks won this game, the Rams fans could have pointed to a few calls or non-calls that lost them a play or two as well. Lets not go down this rabbit hole of sore loser fan who blames the refs.

You're missing the point, it's not about the hawks, it's about the entire nfl. Every gAme i turn on I get to watch referees dominate a game. It's becoming unwatchable.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
ZagHawk":1y9a0hpn said:

this has nothing to do with the hawks, pick any random NFL game and watch the refs dominate the outcome. I used to love watching all the games, now? I find something else to do.

ManBunts

Reaction score
ZagHawk":chyen8co said:

I think the point the original post is making is that the game flow is feeling almost dictated by the refs. Therefore, the outcome feels...fixed? Not saying it was rigged at all, I'm not one of those conspiracy theorists, but, well, take last game:

We did ourselves no favors. The offensive line held like wet tissues against a stampede of rhinos. BUT we were coming back! For all the problems, for the special teams goofs, we were recovering. We were putting together drives, we were making stands...but right when that momentum mattered, something happened. The fumble snafu to me wasn't the worst. The worst were the phantom holds, the complete non-calls on late hits against Russell, a HUGE block in the back on a kickoff return. All things that WE were called for, but they weren't. The final penalty count was 10 against us, 2 against them.

These things matter. So when you can't get momentum going, when it feels like you're being defeated by things beyond your control (the refs in this case), yeah, it makes a huge difference. Lynch has 2 TDs called back. Or look at the game where Percy had 3 TDs called back! It's ridiculous! We obviously focus on this game because we're Seahawks fans, but this entire year has felt like the league is putting a stranglehold on the play of the game.

And to not appear the sore loser, that fake punt was a beauty. That decoy kick return was also pretty great, but I'm still questioning because I think I saw the same fair catch that Pete did, but can't find it anywhere on tape.

BraveHeartFan

Reaction score
The officiating has been pretty poor all across the board.

My Cowboys got away with one on a TD pass yesterday where Tyron Smith was clearly holding, I mean blatant, and they missed it.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
ZagHawk":1ymz3l6p said:

You don't get it. Refs should have at the very LEAST review that play. Did you even watch the last play?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ZagHawk":3827mxni said:
Just No! No! NO!!! can we NOT be the type of fans who blame all our losses on officiating.

It's too late.

Funny thing about the refs, I don't remember them throwing the flags until AFTER Britt's false start, Russell's delay of game, Carp's holding and Simon's desire to rip the receiver's helmet clean off his head..................and they had zero to do with our special teams having their worst performance in 20 years.

The refs sucked last year, and we had the fortitude and talent to overcome. Now we're just another mediocre team blaming the refs for playing poorly. Congrats Hawks fans!

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2e5nmxju said:
ZagHawk":2e5nmxju said:
Just No! No! NO!!! can we NOT be the type of fans who blame all our losses on officiating.

It's too late.

Funny thing about the refs, I don't remember them throwing the flags until AFTER Britt's false start, Russell's delay of game, Carp's holding and Simon's desire to rip the receiver's helmet clean off his head..................and they had zero to do with our special teams having their worst performance in 20 years.

The refs sucked last year, and we had the fortitude and talent to overcome. Now we're just another mediocre team blaming the refs for playing poorly. Congrats Hawks fans!

You don't get it either. Sometimes games don't get played the way they should. Is it wrong to expect proper protocol from the refs? At LEAST review controversial calls in the 4th..!!!!! Refs denied Hawks an equal chance to win the game if Sherman had the ball.

Hawks didn't get an explanation from the Ref and that's the reason for the outrage by some people.

travlinhawk

Reaction score
Its getting so bad that I can almost predict (down to a drive) when a holding or PI flag will come out. At least that's the way I feel. And I totally agree that this has more of a (getting hard to watch or care) feeling than anything else. Its like they are trying to control the flow or tempo of the game not so much the outcome of the game. But in the end it is affecting the outcome of some close games. I really don't want to go down the apathy path but that's what it will come to if this crap continues and nothing is done. Not just referring to Hawks games...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":51kvb055 said:
Sgt. Largent":51kvb055 said:
ZagHawk":51kvb055 said:

It's too late.

You don't get it either. Sometimes games don't get played the way they should. Is it wrong to expect proper protocol from the refs? At LEAST review controversial calls in the 4th..!!!!! Refs denied Hawks an equal chance to win the game if Sherman had the ball.

Hawks didn't get an explanation from the Ref and that's the reason for the outrage by some people.

No, I get it.

See, the refs do suck some of the time..............for EVERYONE. It's not like the league handed down a ref mandate to just screw us. Good teams overcome adversity, and some of that adversity is bad calls. Average and bad teams don't have the talent or discipline to overcome that adversity, thus lose.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
We have a commissioner who is telling his refs to look for penalties. They are fishing for minnows out there, and it really is affecting the game. What happened on Sunday with the fumble was a joke, but it's not like that was the beginning of this narrative. It started a while ago and isn't going away like we figured it would after this preseason. Refs are getting way too much TV time.

We have world class athletes - grown men that measure 6'0 200 and 10% body fat - being penalized because they pushed the arm of a guy who's even bigger than him when he was running a route. It's like in the NBA when they blow a whistle because a 7' 300# guy had his forearm touched after he shot the ball. It has no real affect on the game, but the stripes are told to go by the letter of the law. Talk about the No Fun League. Its the Play-So-You-Don't-Get-Penalized League, now.

And then you tack on ridiculous things like the fumble no-review on Sunday - which seems to happen pretty regularly anymore, and you really have a hard time taking things seriously.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3giyzxp5 said:
No, I get it.

See, the refs do suck some of the time..............for EVERYONE. It's not like the league handed down a ref mandate to just screw us. Good teams overcome adversity, and some of that adversity is bad calls. Average and bad teams don't have the talent or discipline to overcome that adversity, thus lose.

Put this on a general NFL message board, and I think it's still a pretty worthy topic.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":pe8ebzie said:
Sgt. Largent":pe8ebzie said:
No, I get it.

Put this on a general NFL message board, and I think it's still a pretty worthy topic.

I disagree, NFL officiating is like debating religion and politics to me, it's not a productive discussion because it's not fixable (nor is it an interesting topic). It's just tired and lame.

I'm a pragmatic fan. Did the refs make some bad calls yesterday, and in other games? Sure. But the bottom line is we just lost to a 1-4 team that was playing their 3rd string QB, their 2nd string RB and their best player on defense was out.

Let that sink in. No room for stupid ref excuses.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1w4j7i11 said:
AbsolutNET":1w4j7i11 said:
Sgt. Largent":1w4j7i11 said:
No, I get it.

I disagree, NFL officiating is like debating religion and politics to me, it's not a productive discussion because it's not fixable (nor is it an interesting topic). It's just tired and lame.

Yet you continue to involve yourself in the discussion.

Latest posts