Regarding the no calls against Washington

Laloosh

Reaction score
Why wasn't this 15 yards and a fine? (sorry for lack of quality and that's Russell btw)

Attachments

• wilson hit.gif
    wilson hit.gif
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,143

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I was watching the game with a Redskins Fan friend and I said the same thing when I saw it. Just more crappy inconsistent officiating. The Skins were chippy that night.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Yeah I remember looking for the flag on that one too.

Forgot extent of rules, but I saw someone mention it's a non-call if you're a runner, not sure. Also, the dude went for the tackle as RW happened to get down/being tackled down, seemed incidental not intentional to me. Also looks like his shoulder had more of a "hit" on Wilson than the actual helmet from that picture.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
There was also another play maybe it was this one where Russell went into his slide and he got tagged by three Redskins defender. The first two hits were simultaneous with the slide but the third was totally unnecessary... it wasn't flagrant but Wilson was definitely down.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Garcon looked like a clown the last 2 years every time NFL Network plays Sherman miked up for the Washington playoff game. He has been salty for a long time. His Rep is to play physical, and he got punked in that game.

The fact that he didn't get 2 personal fouls was bullshit.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
The fact that this didn't get called and Percy got flagged 3 times, 2 which might be rediculous calls that negated TD's is crap. Looking forward to hearing from the NFL on this.

Cartire

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":2n4m7pxo said:
The fact that this didn't get called and Percy got flagged 3 times, 2 which might be rediculous calls that negated TD's is crap. Looking forward to hearing from the NFL on this.

They wont say a word because we won. If we had lost, they would have come out and said, "were sorry." And thats all that would come of it. Its a joke.

WendellWent

Reaction score
Laloosh":drsnhn4o said:
Why wasn't this 15 yards and a fine? (sorry for lack of quality and that's Russell btw)

It's not a penalty, let alone a 15 yd penalty. He is a runner at this point, not a defenseless player. If he was sliding maybe you'd have a point, but he wasn't, so you don't.

Cartire

Reaction score
WendellWent":3r640uiw said:
Laloosh":3r640uiw said:

It's not a penalty, let alone a 15 yd penalty. He is a runner at this point, not a defenseless player. If he was sliding maybe you'd have a point, but he wasn't, so you don't.

Still illegal to lead with the helmet regardless of defenseless receiver rules. However, it was close enough where im fine with the call either way.

WendellWent

Reaction score
Cartire":1c5o6bh5 said:
WendellWent":1c5o6bh5 said:
Laloosh":1c5o6bh5 said:

Still illegal to lead with the helmet regardless of defenseless receiver rules. However, it was close enough where im fine with the call either way.

Nope.

And look at the picture, helmet to the side, shoulder making contact. Pretty much textbook tackle. There were tons of bad calls in the game, this wasn't one of them.

WendellWent

Reaction score
WendellWent":2n69kchn said:
Cartire":2n69kchn said:
WendellWent":2n69kchn said:
Laloosh":2n69kchn said:

Nope.

And look at the picture, helmet to the side, shoulder making contact. Pretty much textbook tackle. There were tons of bad calls in the game, this wasn't one of them.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2013/3/20/412 ... our-helmet

Just to clarify, this is what people are referring to, the rule is leading with the CROWN of the helmet which this defender clearly did not do.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
WendellWent":2ajis19s said:
Cartire":2ajis19s said:
WendellWent":2ajis19s said:
Laloosh":2ajis19s said:

Nope.

Uhh Yep. Helment to helment is always illegal now. Not sure what you are looking at but helements are colliding in picture. Maybe not so intentional but still illegal by todays standards.

WendellWent

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":3g6qrotu said:
Uhh Yep. Helment to helment is always illegal now. Not sure what you are looking at but helements are colliding in picture. Maybe not so intentional but still illegal by todays standards.

No it isn't. Please read the article I posted above.

PS it is helmet.

WendellWent

Reaction score
WendellWent":3mqkh221 said:
http://www.fieldgulls.com/2013/3/20/412 ... our-helmet

Just to clarify, this is what people are referring to, the rule is leading with the CROWN of the helmet which this defender clearly did not do.

Relevant part of the article:

Blandino contined, "We are not trying to legislate all [helmet-to-helmet hits] - there is going to be helmet-to-helmet contact between a runner and a tackler, that is not what this rule is designed to take out. It is where one player lowers the head and delivers a blow with the crown, the top of the helmet, lines up a player and hits him when we feel he has options to do something else."

Cartire

Reaction score
WendellWent":3g5p4m1k said:
Cartire":3g5p4m1k said:
WendellWent":3g5p4m1k said:
Laloosh":3g5p4m1k said:

Nope.

What do you mean nope? You just repeated what I said in your next comment. IT is illegal to lead with the helmet, IE that would be the crown if your leading.

But then I even agreed that it was close enough where I was fine with the non-call.

You just trying to argue?

Chawks1

Reaction score
WendellWent":x9839y98 said:
Laloosh":x9839y98 said:

Yeah he is a runner here so not protected as a QB. No penalty. Certainly doesn't qualify as a defenseless receiver since he was running with the ball. Lynch gets hit like this a half dozen times a game.

WendellWent

Reaction score
Cartire":31jv4dgb said:
What do you mean nope? You just repeated what I said in your next comment. IT is illegal to lead with the helmet, IE that would be the crown if your leading.

But then I even agreed that it was close enough where I was fine with the non-call.

It isn't illegal to lead with the helmet, it is illegal to lead with the crown of the helmet. Big distinction. You will notice the difference, a player leading with the crown isn't looking up. You CAN lead with the helmet if you are looking up and contact is made at the hairline or facemask (which is still part of the helmet). That is literally the MOST important difference in getting a penalty or not, and if you had watched the Hawks tackling video you would know what I am talking about. It is these misunderstandings that lead people to believe the hit in the OP was even close to a flag (it wasn't) or like the poster up two or three posts to claim ALL hits like this are illegal by "NFL standards". Just trying to edify a little bit, not argue.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
This was a good no call. Wilson was a runner. Helmet to helmet contact with a runner is only illegal if it's spearing, which this was not.

However Garcon should have been called for OPI on the hair pull and unnecessary roughness for the facemask. Yet the call Carp for finishing a block.

Cartire

Reaction score
WendellWent":2b6wzpuw said:
Cartire":2b6wzpuw said:

It isn't illegal to lead with the helmet, it is illegal to lead with the crown of the helmet. Big distinction. You will notice the difference, a player leading with the crown isn't looking up. You CAN lead with the helmet if you are looking up and contact is made at the hairline or facemask (which is still part of the helmet). That is literally the MOST important difference in getting a penalty or not, and if you had watched the Hawks tackling video you would know what I am talking about. It is these misunderstandings that lead people to believe the hit in the OP was even close to a flag (it wasn't) or like the poster up two or three posts to claim ALL hits like this are illegal by "NFL standards". Just trying to edify a little bit, not argue.

Please tell me which direction the defender is looking in that pic, then get back to me.

He doesnt look ahead, in fact, his "crown" is completely perpendicular with the ground. And with that note, leading with the helmet is near impossible if your looking at the runner. But regardless, you can lead with your helmet like that for any form tackle as long as the crown isnt the first thing to make contact with another players helmet. And like I said, it doesnt seem that way and I was fine with the no call.

And also, I have watched the hawk tackle videos, where they talk about leading with the shoulders and placing the helmets to the side of the body. "If you had watched the Hawks talking video you would know what I am talking about." Man what an arrogant comment.

WendellWent

Reaction score
Cartire":17cm65hf said:
Please tell me which direction the defender is looking in that pic, then get back to me.

He doesnt look ahead, in fact, his "crown" is completely perpendicular with the ground. And with that note, leading with the helmet is near impossible if your looking at the runner. But regardless, you can lead with your helmet like that for any form tackle as long as the crown isnt the first thing to make contact with another players helmet. And like I said, it doesnt seem that way and I was fine with the no call.

And also, I have watched the hawk tackle videos, where they talk about leading with the shoulders and placing the helmets to the side of the body. "If you had watched the Hawks talking video you would know what I am talking about." Man what an arrogant comment.

If you watch the play from the beginning, and not this pic captured midway thru the tackle, he didn't start with his head down like that...it dropped after contact. He lead with his shoulder and dropped his head after contact mostly inline with absorbing the hit. It isn't hard to lead with the facemask (part of the helmet) if you are looking at a player. I agree with the rest of the first paragraph, you are essentially regurgitating what I have already said.

Secondly, I wasn't trying to be arrogant, I was simply saying that the hawks tackling video shows form tackling with the head to the side, exactly what is shown in the tackle in the OP. Obviously you have seen it, so we should be on the same page. Not sure how you have twisted this into an argument when we appear to be saying the same thing. Like I said, I was mostly addressing the people in this thread who thought it was a flag or that all helmet to helmet hits are illegal. If you don't fall in that category, the posts were not aimed at you.