ESPN Best of Mike and Mike 10/7/14: Russell Wilson/MNF recap

byau

Reaction score
First 15 minutes of Best of Mike and Mike today is a MNF recap and both Mike's talk mostly about Russell Wilson.

A few points from Greeney

* admits that he was not sold on Russell Wilson and thought the success of Wilson
* thought Seahawks was more about the defense
* after seeing Wilson this season and also how he performed on the biggest stage last night, he is sold on Wilson and says Wilson is the best young quarterback today

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/pod ... id=2445552

marko358

Reaction score
Apparently his performance on a larger stage in February wasn't good enough.

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
It likely did for a lot of people, not for Greeney

And regarding SB 48: there are those that argue that Wilson only played well after the game was "well in hand" because of our defense. I don't agree, I can see that argument though

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Best of Mike and Mike? How long was the show? Like 30 minutes?

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
Mike and Mike is a 4 hour show, I think "Best of" is about an hour or so if you don't want to listen to the full four hours.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I loved the fact that Russ had this kind of game during prime time. Nobody can ignore it now. Anybody that still says he's just a 'game manager' after that performance is either ignorant or blind. That game was like the 2012 Chicago game on steroids. It was like Russ's second arrival for all of the doubters. I was a bit overwhelmed by the praise he was getting across the board. The post game discussion was not about the D or Marshawn, but focused squareley where it need to be. I'm used to them talking about the D, then flashing some short clip of 'OBTW, here's Wilson running again' Gotta admit I had something in my eye when they showed play after play of RW's heroics. Don't know who could not be impressed, save for maybe Prisco.

jonkchar

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's on there but they had Cris Carter on there and after a while Cris ended up praising RW. Mike & Mike were gushing over RW. One point one of them made was that they think his background in baseball probably influenced RW's play more than most think. In reference to that amazing evade and throw while running left to Lynch late in the game

seabowl

Reaction score
All they had to do was put on tape of games 3-10 last year when most of our OL was out and Russ carried this team on his back to victory after victory. He abilities are especially noticed when he is running/mastering the run option. Can you imaging if he just had time to throw the ball out of the pocket? Wow!!!!

hawker84

Reaction score
On the drive into work today, i was listening to Mike and Mike. Greeny is picking the Cowboys to upset us. Said I'm Picking the Boys no spread straight up.

Apparently he's not that sold just yet.

WendellWent

Reaction score
Cowboys are playing great ball right now, on offense. They will be the first team all year to really challenge Hawks on the ground. Funny too because I remember people pretty much clowning the Cowboys for their drafts the last few years, but they sure have nailed all of their o-line picks.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
I think we crush the Cowboys. Look who they've beaten.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
FargoHawk":2dcp8hqy said:
Being at home will help as well and I think Hawks win because like you said, they haven't played anyone yet. I'm not gonna say "crush" though.

DYLcurry59

Reaction score
hawker84":2mbbqyef said:
On the drive into work today, i was listening to Mike and Mike. Greeny is picking the Cowboys to upset us. Said I'm Picking the Boys no spread straight up.

I don't listen to Mike and Mike much, but anyone knows that this is the kiss of death for the Cowboys. Greeny is lousy at picking games.

DYLcurry59

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2t35ymdr said:
FargoHawk":2t35ymdr said:
Being at home will help as well and I think Hawks win because like you said, they haven't played anyone yet. I'm not gonna say "crush" though.

I don't know what constitutes "crush", but I think we win by at least 2 touchdowns.

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
hawker84":27mow7j4 said:

I really like listening to Mike and Mike because I like listening to their reasoning behind their opinions. Even if I don't agree with them, I appreciate they can usually support their opinions really well.

That being said, I think the point spread is 8 right

Take into account for Dallas

* 4 game winning streak
* Murray is on par to have a record setting season
* Murray has 100+ rushing in every game (I think, I'd have to double check but if not, it's pretty darn close)
* Murray is taking some pressure off of Romo, I think Romo has responded
* Murray-led plodding offense is keeping the defense off the field, keeping them fresh (and masking their deficiencies)

Definitely a team on the upswing, definitely have things rolling really well.

For the Hawks, I have a feeling they are still trying to get rolling. They have definitely not played their best yet except maybe the opener. If they were rolling, I'd be a lot more comfortable saying not only would the Hawks win but I'd say by 10 points or more easily

So easy for me to see someone picking Dallas

My Pick:

Personally, the Hawks rushing defense has been fantastic. Kevin Williams has been an awesome pickup and I hope Irvin has a fantastic game too. So I think that will be a bit of a shock to the Dallas offense. Game's at home. Penalties will be focused on and cleaned up. Hawks offense will have a great day

My pick is Hawks by 10

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
DYLcurry59":261mgmy0 said:
hawker84":261mgmy0 said:

I don't listen to Mike and Mike much, but anyone knows that this is the kiss of death for the Cowboys. Greeny is lousy at picking games.

This is an ongoing joke now, Greeny admits it as much and there was even one show where Greeny put up for "auction" his super bowl 49 pic. People could tweet in and tell Greeny would that would do to have Greeny pick a certain team to win SB49 knowing that it was the kiss of death

I have seen here and there on this board that a lot of people don't like Mike and Mike. I'd love to hear the reasons why. Sometimes it seems people don't like certain talk show hosts just because they disagree with that talk show hosts opinion. I say opinion is fine as long as you can back it up. I might disagree, I'll still respect it if you can back it up.

I personally really like them a lot. To the point that I listen to them talk about sports I'm not interested in just because I like listening to them

* they never talk down to the audience, it sounds like a conversation
* they have a great way of "assuming" the listener is not aware of the story they are covering and can quickly work in the backstory casually and quickly and then move on with their opinion/conversation
* their personalities compliment each other
* Golic, being a former athlete, has a great perspective on things, especially with football
* they always have really good guests on
* they can get sidetracked sometimes off of sports, and it's still a very interesting and amusing conversation and it's a nice break when you have a 4 hour show to do.

Probably doesn't hurt that my personality is almost a combination of the two of them: similar age, personality, likes and dislikes, etc.

AgentDib

Reaction score
marko358":od3z8a0d said:
Apparently his performance on a larger stage in February wasn't good enough.
Is that surprising given that our defense outscored the Broncos offense?

Spread is at -8.5 now I believe and the O/U is 47.5, so something like 28-20 Hawks.