Credit Where Due -- Manning's Last Drive

chet380

Reaction score
80yds in 40 seconds to tie the game -- a HOF performance that we all witnessed.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Dude is not getting paid $20 million a year for his good looks.

drdiags

Reaction score
Kudos to the Broncos, I am sure the past few months having people calling out your toughness and panning your SB performance just stuck in their craw. You could see the momentum in the game was such that it was going to come down to something like it did. The missed FG is when I started to get a queasy feeling.

Peyton Manning has his critics and his supporters but to me, he is just a good pro. It was looking bad for him early. The Seahawks couldn't pull away. You have to give Denver's defense credit on making it tough on the Seahawks offense, especially the run. This is the second straight game they have been tough on Lynch.

Hats off to the Broncos. Hope to see them again this year. It will mean the team is back in the Superbowl.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chet380":121hy236 said:
Yeah but the no pressure - prevent defense didn't exactly make it difficult for him either!

12HawkFan

Reaction score
80 yards in 40 seconds is what you will almost always get with a QB the caliber of Peyton Manning, I swear to God I thought Holmgren was calling the defensive plays on that series.

We got away with a win and that's all that matters, now.

GO HAWKS!!!

dusktreader

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2vr8ne9g said:
chet380":2vr8ne9g said:
Yeah but the no pressure - prevent defense didn't exactly make it difficult for him either!

I think we had good pressure this game. Manning does not hold the ball, and his blockers are really good at hiding holds. Maxwell blew some coverages big time, but it was a brand new page in the play-book that Manning and Fox hadn't even shown all game long.

Gotta give Manning credit. He is a damn fine regular season QB

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
That drive was all on Byron Maxwell. Manning made some of the easiest throws to one of the oldest route combinations of all time - the skinny post/wheel route. Both long throws Maxwell didn't release the post man to the safety - who was there. He is going to get a major talking to from Carroll and co. this week.

It was our mental errors that opened the door. Manning didn't really do anything that special on that drive.

Jacknut16

Reaction score
chet380":28hgiz30 said:

Simple defensive breakdowns at their finest. No reason that players should be that wide open on the freaking sidelines multiple times at the end of the game. But he did take advantage.

Jacknut16

Reaction score
dusktreader":1pldppfb said:
Sports Hernia":1pldppfb said:
chet380":1pldppfb said:

I think we had good pressure this game. Manning does not hold the ball, and his blockers are really good at hiding holds. Maxwell blew some coverages big time, but it was a brand new page in the play-book that Manning and Fox hadn't even shown all game long.

Gotta give Manning credit. He is a damn fine regular season QB

Its really easy to block for a QB who:

A) Drops and throws
B) Stays in the pocket and the linemen know where he will be exactly

drdiags

Reaction score
We are kind of spoiled with our current defensive strength. I still remember Manning carving up the Seahawks in Lucas Oil back when Mora and Gus were running the show.

Manning put up 50-something TDs last year. They weren't all on a couple of teams. Today's game as Magic Johnson pointed out is the game I thought we were going to get in the Superbowl.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/513841560023498753[/tweet]

I guess it isn't a bad thing if you are griping about not hitting perfection every time out. Good to have high standards. But sometimes it isn't a bad thing to give credit where it is due.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
This is a game where I would've like to have seen more pressure on QB, but Denver did improve their line, get Clady back and move Franklin inside....Seattle countered late by pushing Bennett and Avril together on one side and away from their better pass protection side....I actually like the zone concept, but that play takes a long time to develop and if Seattle stays disciplined and leaves Avril and Bennett as bookends, they don't let Manning slide to his left and make the throws to his left side against Maxwell.

I think if Pete watches the film between the two halves, he probably would stick with leaving the bookends on the edge and keeping Manning in the pocket, vs going for the sack....After the INT on the right side on the seam route, they stayed completely away from the right side of the formation and if anything, we needed to flip the pass rush to force Manning out to his right and make him throw at Sherman's side.

All things considered is you hold Peyton Manning to 18 offensive points in 60 minutes of football, with Denver's improved pass protection, the upgrade of Sanders over Decker and getting Welker back off the 4 game
molly suspension.....Very few QB's make that throw to Thomas for the 2 point Conversion in traffic.....

Glad we won the way we did, we added another dimension we can lean on in crunch time, if we need to win a game late on offense. Not having Norwood or Richardson helping on offense now is placing a lot on the rest of the WR's. Need to get bye week to get either WR ready for more production.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt, you rarely can keep him down all game. He is incredible at seeing something in a D and exploiting it.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Chris Carter and Mike Golic broke down that last Denver drive pretty well. They said that Manning ran the same play three times and it worked twice. He exploited a hole in our deep coverage scheme that is always there but it relies on a late developing secondary route that's only available when we fail to pressure the QB. Our Dline has not been as good with their pressure when we send them alone. If they continue to struggle we are going to have to adjust.

capncrunch

Reaction score
Yes. That was a bit of torture watching him march down so easily. Yes. Credit to Manning and Denver. They have a good team. It was a tough win.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Anybody know if the game is going to be re-broadcast? Had to record the game trying to get some painting finished before watching the game and My DVR Stopped recording right before our last field goal! I got done exactly the same way on the F1 race and the Seahawks game yesterday. Need to extend my timers I guess.