Super Bowl XL

rubyweapon7

Reaction score
I do not mean to bring up a sour note of your past but you all got robbed royally in that game. Although I am a Packers fan, the refs gave you all bad calls left and right.

Nog

Reaction score
Do not need to bring up the past. The present is bright and successful!

hawknation2014

Reaction score
No need to whine about the past. We're taking it one game at a time en route to another championship.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Last year erased any bad feelings about XL for me. The way I look at it, had we won XL, Mora would have still been brought in as Holmgen's successor, Holmy would have still retired, but because we would already have won a championship, Allen would have been much more patient with Mora and this team as it exists today wouldn't even be a blip on our radars.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Just don't care anymore. I don't even have hate for the steelers anymore.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1qu5y5rt said:
Last year erased any bad feelings about XL for me. The way I look at it, had we won XL, Mora would have still been brought in as Holmgen's successor, Holmy would have still retired, but because we would already have won a championship, Allen would have been much more patient with Mora and this team as it exists today wouldn't even be a blip on our radars.

That's actually a pretty good point. I know this last year was cathartic for a lot of folks still bitter about XL. As for the OP, I'm not the guy that jumps all over opposing fans first thing; I feel like I could be being trolled, or it's kind of a peace offering for a fan wanting to interact with another fan base more often.

Funny thing, we get your angst over the whole "Fail Mary" thing. Some of us think it was a bad call, most of us think it was the right call (I'm in the latter btw), but as a fan base, we GET feeling robbed. XL was the culmination of us as fans feeling screwed by the NFL on bad calls. A couple epically bad calls kept us from the playoffs years before that SB, but all fans know it's hard to get back to a SB (unless you're a Pats fan) and in the biggest stage it sticks with you a lot longer.

I'm over it (finally). I was over it before last Feb, but our Championship erased any vestiges of bitterness left. It still bothers me from time to time (usually when a Stealers fan brags about that specific ring), but not enough to get fired up about.

NEXT !

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2rwsqifq said:

Great way to look at it, and you're most likely right.

Birdfinger

Reaction score
You know, I would suffer XL for a season like last season. Last season was epic and definitely left a mark on the face of the NFL. The XL season was great, but if losing it meant we were able to get to and win XLVIII with these players and this style of play, I'd do it in a heartbeat. We're actually witnessing the greatest team in Seahawks history. We are gonna tell stories of this team to our grandchildren. Guaranteed.

drdiags

Reaction score
I hate XL because a couple of players had a chance to spit in the face of the doubting public and they didn't get it done. One was J Stevens and the other was D Jackson. Both got robbed by some questionable calls but they also failed to take destiny by the throat and drag it along with them.

I hated the way the Steelers fans punished our old site months after the game, they had won, go get drunk and count your rings and let the heart-broken Seahawks fans just stew about a tough lost. But no, they had to justify the win for some TBD reason. Joey Porter was/is a POS but he wasn't much of a factor in the game. Some of the smack coming from the players was just the spoils of victory. They won, they didn't want to hear the cries of fans saying they didn't deserve it because that isn't how the game goes.

As far as the nuclear meltdown that was the "Fail Mary", it wasn't in the ultimate game. It didn't prevent the Packers from having a shot at winning it all, though it could be argued that a victory may have given them HFA throughout the playoffs?

One thing I know is that concepts like "Fair play" or "deserved" just don't fit in how sports play out. The guys wearing white hats don't always win it all. There is no such thing as justice. Those concepts are just good fodder to keep the common fan involved. Nothing is guaranteed or promised.

Swedishhawkfan

Reaction score
Since I discovered the Seahawks in the playoffs leading up to XL, I don't think my fandom would have been as great if we had won that game. A win that early would only have been "fun", and then I would mainly have sat through years of terrible play after that, joinind the bandwagon right on the peak. As it was now, the bitterness and "what if feelings" from XL grew stronger together with my fandom, and helped a Super Bowl victory for the hawks seem almost mythically impossible.

It also helped XLVIII be the best moment in sports over any kind I will probably ever experience.

Still a shame though that Hass, Walt, Mack Strong etc did not get their rings.. Aside from the refs and jerramy stevens being a punk, I think our chances of winning that game GREATLY increases if Hass takes a sack and we kick a field goal, instead of throwing that pick to Ike Taylor