Seahawks fandom largest in area of any team

bmorepunk

Reaction score
When I was in high school in the 90s, the Packers and Vikings ranked ahead of the Seahawks in popularity in Alaska. I'm glad winning has made people come to their senses.

Sailor, Alaska is only about 1/5 the area of the continental US. That map is a Mercator projection, and it shows Alaska to be substantially larger than it is. If you look at Greenland on a Mercator projection it ends up being bigger than Australia but it is substantially smaller. Something like a Winkel tripel projection would serve this purpose better.

But since you're a sailor I bet you love Mercator projections.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":13h9swp4 said:
Yea, yea, I know, area-wise is not actual number of fans, but the Seahawks boast the largest area of the country covered by their fans.

BwyOFyBIgAApUUl

Remember, Alaska is much bigger than it's portrayed on that map:

USA w AK HI 3857
And if they keep winning Lombardi's it will keep growing! :) Last few times in Vegas seen a ton of Hawks gear too!

Canhawks

Reaction score
U can throw in the whole province of BC and and connect Wash St to Alaska,the Hawks are BIG up here.Yea I know Canada doesn't count.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Alaskans are a bunch of bandwagon fans. Not that it's a problem, they don't have a franchise, so it's fine. January 2013's Facebook fan map looks quite different, though. :)

https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook ... 8370823859

528895_10151382327948415_1568495614_n.png

Smellyman

Reaction score
it's true. there are no nfl teams within 800 miles of Seattle

kidhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2blmhoel said:
Alaskans are a bunch of bandwagon fans. Not that it's a problem, they don't have a franchise, so it's fine.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook ... 8370823859

There are 3 types of fans here. There are those that hop the bandwagon of whatever team is doing well, then there are Seahawks fans due to the proximity and then there are the rest which are made up of a lot of transplants and their families who root for the team they had from back home. Of course when I say transplants, I use that term to cover mostly military, but a lot of oil field workers and such as well. The Seahawks are the most consistently liked team in Alaska, but you'll find plenty of other team fans everywhere. Way too many Niner fans for my liking, but that did make the NFC Championship game that much sweeter.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":13me9ibh said:
Yea, yea, I know, area-wise is not actual number of fans, but the Seahawks boast the largest area of the country covered by their fans.

BwyOFyBIgAApUUl

Remember, Alaska is much bigger than it's portrayed on that map:

USA w AK HI 3857
lul.

seahawk Dan

Reaction score
Canhawks":3rq9c3jk said:
U can throw in the whole province of BC and and connect Wash St to Alaska,the Hawks are BIG up here.Yea I know Canada doesn't count.

What do you mean Canada does not count were do you think BC is, I have been a Seahawks ticket season ticket holder since 1976 , does that count ?

Canhawks

Reaction score
seahawk Dan":2ud2kfim said:
Canhawks":2ud2kfim said:

What do you mean Canada does not count were do you think BC is, I have been a Seahawks ticket season ticket holder since 1976 , does that count ?
I said it doesn't count ONLY because this thread applied only to the US.I think u kind of of miss understood me.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
bmorepunk":33ibmp0q said:
When I was in high school in the 90s, the Packers and Vikings ranked ahead of the Seahawks in popularity in Alaska. I'm glad winning has made people come to their senses.

Sailor, Alaska is only about 1/5 the area of the continental US. That map is a Mercator projection, and it shows Alaska to be substantially larger than it is. If you look at Greenland on a Mercator projection it ends up being bigger than Australia but it is substantially smaller. Something like a Winkel tripel projection would serve this purpose better.

But since you're a sailor I bet you love Mercator projections.

Here, better?

Alaska small

Also...pretty sure you missed the joke inherent in Sailor's picture, but I digress.

seahawk Dan

Reaction score
Canhawks":55x4dflt said:
seahawk Dan":55x4dflt said:
Canhawks":55x4dflt said:

I said it doesn't count ONLY because this thread applied only to the US.I think u kind of of miss understood me.

OK Sorry

BlueBlood

Reaction score
I actually know a Jets fan. He lives in Ocean Shores and was born in Germany. :lol:

Uffda

Reaction score
Thinking that cowboys area would be half the size after last week's game or in the next few weeks.

Brahn

Reaction score
Uffda":1ujmpwr4 said:
Thinking that cowboys area would be half the size after last week's game or in the next few weeks.

Naw they are like Niners fans. They feel they have won Superbowl before so it is a given that they will win it again.

Latest posts