Russell Wilson promised the Eagles a championship

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
That other man, according to NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah — a former scout for the Philadelphia Eagles — was none other than Seahawks star passer Russell Wilson.

Jeremiah spoke on a recent podcast about scouting Wilson back in 2012.

"I can tell you a bunch of stories about my communication with him during that process," Jeremiah said. “For example, I interviewed him at the Senior Bowl. At the end of the interview, you always ask for players' numbers so you can get in touch with them — he asked for my number."

OK, so it's not unusual for players to text back and forth with coaches before the draft. Jeremiah wasn't done.

"And then I would get text messages from him periodically saying, 'If the Eagles draft me, I will lead the Eagles to championships.' You know he would send me these text messages.

"... So leading up, even the day of the draft, the first day of the draft. 'If the Eagles draft me, I will lead them to championships.' He was sending me these text messages. Well, we really liked him, and I thought there was a very real chance he was going to end up being a Philadelphia Eagle there. And then, of course, Seattle ends up taking him."

The Seahawks grabbed Wilson in the third round with the 75th overall pick. It was just 13 selections later that the Eagles went with Arizona's Nick Foles (27 TDs and just two INTS in 2013), so it's not like Philly ended up with nothing.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/laces-out/ ... :foxsports

HawkFan72

Reaction score
He could have been drafted in the first round if he also said he would give back all of his paychecks if he didn't deliver on his promise.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":28nefsf7 said:
It wouldn't surprise me to learn that representatives of 32 NFL teams received messages that read 'If the _________ draft me, I will lead the __________ to championships.'

I'm sure this is true. Although in this case, this was reported shortly after draft day and even before Wilson was named our starter.

Philly had clear interest in him. Washington had mild interest as a backup only. The number and timing of the citations for that indicate it's much more than revisionist history.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Oh Wilson, he has IT and he knows it. So amazingly blessed that he is a Seahawk quarterback!!!!! We are so lucky! :D :eek: :lol:

pmedic920

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":ju6kvz1f said:
It wouldn't surprise me to learn that representatives of 32 NFL teams received messages that read 'If the _________ draft me, I will lead the __________ to championships.'

This.
He wanted to be drafted by a NFL TEAM.
I can't find any fault in him saying that to any team. I'm just very happy things turned out the way they did. ;)

drdiags

Reaction score
I missed the conversation MRob had on NFLN the other day where he talked about how several vets spoke about having Flynn be the starter on the plane ride back from the Arizona loss Wilson's rookie season. Goes to show that the same type of angst our local media and fans were having existed in the locker-room.

Wilson landed in the perfect spot. I wonder how successful he would be if he had went to Jacksonville or Buffalo instead? Luckily, we will never know.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I'm glad the coaches didn't bench Wilson, that would of been the worst decision. We will never know what will happen if he went to other teams, that can be said for anybody. What I will say is he will make other players play better, he's got contagious leadership, and i'm sure if asked upon he would of delivered. We can play the what if games all we want, but i'm staying in the moment, one game at a time.

Latest posts