We are going to KILL the middle of defenses

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
The long pass completion to Zach Miller last night highlighted one of the biggest threats we get with Percy Harvin: His ability to scare defenses and soak up over-the-top coverage. They really have no choice but to push the free safety over to Harvin when he is wide. This is going to open up a lot of middle action for us this year, and I think the likes of Miller, Willson and others are going to eat it up, not to mention backs coming out of the backfield on angle routes.

Harvin was split wide left, Miller motioned over from the right wing to the left. Miller had a free release and easily got behind the linebackers and the strong safety who got lulled into Wilson's play fake. Perfect throw from Wilson.

FYI, good blitz pick up on that play by Derrick Coleman to help give that play a chance to blossom.

See the picture here. Miller is in the red circle, and you can see Harvin has already smoked the corner and Wilson could have hit him for a big gainer (if not a TD) also.

Picture2 zpsb60bf73e

Now imagine the dilemma when Richardson is split on the other side. And imagine the impact this will have on our running game as well, both for the backs and for Wilson to scramble.

It's not going to be fun for defensive coordinators this season. :th2thumbs:

Polk738

Reaction score
I loved that play, an when I saw that went to Zach Miller, I thought "Percy HAD to have been in on that play" sure enough look who draws the safety. Hadn't seen a big catch like that from Zach since the Monday night game against the Saints last season.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Yea. What is a free safety to do in that situation right? Harvin explodes out of the gate and in less than a second gets 5 yards behind the corner. If he had played any closer to the middle it would have been a Harvin td. Good thing for Chargers that Zack doesn't have Luke ' s speed either.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":qkfb7401 said:
Yea. What is a free safety to do in that situation right? Harvin explodes out of the gate and in less than a second gets 5 yards behind the corner. If he had played any closer to the middle it would have been a Harvin td. Good thing for Chargers that Zack doesn't have Luke ' s speed either.

That's exactly it. If the safety stays in the middle, it's an easy TD to Harvin.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

And good point with Willson in that route instead of Miller - that would have been a TD. Miller is slow as hell, lol.

warden

Reaction score
Harvins biggest contributions to this team will not show up on the stat sheet. His biggest contribution will be the space he will help give all the other players on offense.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
What's really exciting is that we start off the first half of the season playing some really bad defenses. That'll be nice for a change. Our offense should look unstoppable. Then we start playing those tough defenses the rest of the way and they'll be having to adjust to our "new look" offense. Sure, the production will drop off, but they'll be playing us differently. It will become risky to send a LBer spy blitzing Wilson. We'll have been able to do so many things on offense that the defenses later in the season won't really know what we're going to show them.

mikeak

Reaction score
Harvin, Richardson split out
Pistol formation
Read-Option either a true RO or a play that looks like it

I can't wait for this in hurry-up / no huddle plays.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Just wait until they put Richardson out there to run a 9 route with Percy in the backfield with Lynch... and a combo of Norwood/Kearse/Baldwin working the slots.

good_luck_morgan_freeman.gif

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Harvin and Michael as the split backs, Richardson in motion, triple option. Hell yah.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
When I chart plays and formations, many times I come back later and interchange players in an attempt to predict their effect on the play. This predictive tool will be fun to use this year with Percy and is one of the benefits I get from monitoring these situations very closely.

Anthony!

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2aiyrydt said:
I noticed Wilson was running shotgun? Did he run no huddle also? If so this might out Chip Kelly...Chip Kelly.:)

Yup you saw a lot of different formations and Rw had command of all of them, add Richardson on one side going long of the side lines, Harvin on the other and that middle is going to be wide open, for Kearse, TE, Baldwin, Norwood and who ever. IF they keep Locktette and his 4,.3 speed and it gets worse or the opposition. You either double the long guys and leave the middle open, or cover the middle and leave the long guys open. Add a check down just in case and it is unstoppable.