Seahawks Tackling

oasis

Reaction score
I saw on .com a link to an intensive instructional tackling video by Pete Carroll.
http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/v ... 558292b1a6

Now maybe I'm not completely aware of professional courtesy and things like that, but he seems to be teaching other teams how to copy the unique success of out D. I just don't get it.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I guess it's not really anything other teams can't figure out watching film if they really want too.

OP
OP
O

oasis

Reaction score
I actually think this is Pete getting the nfl organization to like the hawks organization more. Big focus here is safety.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawknballs":1j9j3kdc said:
I guess it's not really anything other teams can't figure out watching film if they really want too.

Pretty much this. Any team in the league could see this on film or hire any of Pete's assistants from USC or Seattle and get the same information. Nothing the Hawks do on Defense is relatively confusing or a big secret. It's a matter of execution rather than having a complicated scheme.

Other players/teams tackling properly is beneficial to the game as a whole. This is about football fundamentals.

OP
OP
O

oasis

Reaction score
Basis4day":1ngfahtj said:
Hawknballs":1ngfahtj said:

Pretty much this. Any team in the league could see this on film or hire any of Pete's assistants from USC or Seattle and get the same information. Nothing the Hawks do on Defense is relatively confusing or a big secret. It's a matter of execution rather than having a complicated scheme.

Other players/teams tackling properly is beneficial to the game as a whole. This is about football fundamentals.
Nope. I thought about it and figured it out. It's to teach Rafael Bush how not to be a douche.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I think this is great. Pete is directly confronting the false perception that we are a dirty tackling team., which could not be further from the truth.

I hope the refs are watching and paying attention because it can sometimes be hard to tell on a bang-bang play by a hard, clean hitter like Kam Chancellor.

lukerguy

Reaction score
HAHA That's just like Pete to add a play that was flagged into his instructional video only to let everyone know that it was later ruled the "wrong" call.

hahahaaha other teams must hate Pete.

This video does a few things:
1) Teaches young kids how to tackle properly.
2) Teaches the league that you can be physical, while limiting injuries
3) Teaches officials that if they think of calling a flag on the Seahawks for a illegal hit, they're probably wrong.

bigcc

Reaction score
this looks more like an instructional video for the highschool level, lol@ thinking defensive coordinators in the NFL will be using this video as their guideline in tackling drills from here on out.

sutz

Reaction score
Tackling in general has declined in the NFL. I love that the Seahawks have bucked that trend and have been a pretty good tackling team. If you look at the number of broken tackles that RBs like Marshawn generate vs what we do against other teams and you see a pattern. Simply put, it contributes to big plays by us and stops big plays against us.

Pete calls them "explosive plays" and the whole team works to bend that in our favor. One of our strongest points in SBXLVIII was that there was virtually no run-after-catch for their WRs. Sure, they caught a lot of balls, but the LoB was there immediately and dropped them in their tracks. Couple that with our "they won't get behind us" mentality and it led to Peyton and Crew building up some passing stats, but no big plays and almost no points. And not just in the SB. It was a major factor in our whole season.

So, kudos to our coaching staff for really preaching fundamentals, and to our players who take it to heart.

rigelian

Reaction score
The first step in the instructional tape says draft Kam Chancellor.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
oasis":2k1kke3j said:
Basis4day":2k1kke3j said:
Hawknballs":2k1kke3j said:

Nope. I thought about it and figured it out. It's to teach Rafael Bush how not to be a douche.
No kidding! That video shows how to get it done safely for any tackle. No more excuses for fawkst#cks like Bush. Time to bring the hammer down on that ish.

irocdave

Reaction score
Going to have my two sons watch that, great video for youngsters learning to play the game. Thanks for posting the link. I wouldn't think there's anything new in the vid for NFL or college coaches and I think it was aimed below college age kids.

The Hawks under Pete do a fantastic job of tackling. It got so old watching Holmgren's teams play 5 - 7 yards off the ball then whiff on tackles or worse yet slide off while in the air because they left their feet looking for the big hit.

Back in my HS football playing you put the crown of your helmet in the facemask of the ball carrier then unloaded with the shoulder. I don't think my coaches taught me that but I know it worked for me. Broke a lot of face masks ( mine and theirs) and shoulder pads. Running and fullbacks backs wouldn't hit that same hole for at least a quarter either.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I like how in the video they reference rugby/Australian rules football (I can't tell the difference). This show technique without pads so the players do not become missiles and with the new league rules more penalty free tackling. Better on so many levels. It would seem a no brainer that this would be taught and emphasized on every level but obviously not so judging by some other teams. I always felt the better teams do a better job of tackling. It is nice to see an emphasis on this. The difference between a good team and a great team.

MB12

Reaction score
It is so easy to see how good a coach Pete is just from this video! The man is so good at coaching

lobohawk

Reaction score
Wish I'd had this before my son started playing Pop Warner. They spent more time on effort than technique. Also the closing drill looked great.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
oasis":fdfpuajj said:
I saw on .com a link to an intensive instructional tackling video by Pete Carroll.

Now maybe I'm not completely aware of professional courtesy and things like that, but he seems to be teaching other teams how to copy the unique success of out D. I just don't get it.

You are aware that NFL games are televised?

mrt144

Reaction score
oasis":3d4eey29 said:

You clearly don't - the technique isn't unique, the execution and practice is. It also isn't a secret since NFL teams have scouting abilities which they utilize.