This years bye week

Largent80

Reaction score
It comes in week 4. The last couple years it has been way later.

When you take a look at our schedule, it looks brutal and physical toward the end of the season. I'm a little concerned about it.

Six of Seattle's final seven games will be against teams that won at least 10 games last season. Five of those games are against NFC West teams, which have become known for their exceedingly physical defenses.

The difficulty they have this year is that the bye week is Week 4. That means you have to go all the way through the final 13 games of the season without a break, and that is going to be tough, particularly when the games are going to get more physical at the end of the year.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure our guys are already anticipating being angry about some mediots saying we'll lose the division or not be perfect because of it. Pete Carroll's great at having his players find motivation from literally anything and everything, lol.

I'm not worried about it. (It's certainly way earlier than my preference, though.)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
OMG THE LEAGUE HATES US!

j/k.........I loathe early season byes, combine this with our schedule being brutal in the 2nd half and it equals no bueno.

ManBunts

Reaction score
Oh, having a week 4 bye suuuuuuuuucks with that last half of our schedule. I really think we need to go undefeated through November 9th, and I think we can, to give ourselves some breathing room. Because let's not get cocky, every team after that either did or would have made the playoffs last year (Cards, Rams), and has only gotten better.

But all that said, the way we work with rotations on the lines will be a huge saving grace to avoid wear and tear. I can also see this being another reason we conserve Lynch early on by mixing in Michaels as much as we can for those early games.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
We did get lucky in a way that 2 of our pics from last year didn't even play and early reports on them are encouraging.

As we all know, injuries/depth are huge factors in a successful season.

hawker84

Reaction score
Early round byes suck plain and simple. But nothing they can do about it but power through and hope the injuries are at a minimum come playoff time. This team seems to thrive on adversity, so i remain optimistic...

raisethe3

Reaction score
Where would you guys prefer the "bye" week to be located on the schedule? Looking at it, I feel like its way too early after 3 games.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
raisethe3":1aio06i1 said:
Where would you guys prefer the "bye" week to be located on the schedule? Looking at it, I feel like its way too early after 3 games.
Anytime after week six would be quite a bit better. I mean, after three games played it's just like...Really?

RiverDog

Reaction score
The bye week does come at a bad time, but that's the least of our schedule worries. The grouping of divisional opponents in the 2nd half of the season could either be a huge advantage or a death blow, depending on injuries and who's hot or cold. 5 divisional games come in the last 6 weeks of the season, including the Niners twice within 3 weeks. As a rule, we play at least one divisional opponent in September, this year we don't get our first until Week 7 in mid October.

But each year brings a different worry. Last year, it was 5 early starts that had us fans nervously biting our fingernails, and we ended up winning 4 of those games.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
raisethe3":3obp4o9g said:

I thought the late bye worked out kind of perfectly for us last year. They powered through and returned fresh for that Monday night Saints game, which at the time, was the biggest game of the NFL season (#1 seed on the line). The team looked fresh for the duration of the playoff run in spite of closing the regular season with three really physical games.

It often depends on the circumstances, though (i.e., occurrence of key injuries, scheduling of tough games). That being said, I don't like having an early bye.

sutz

Reaction score
A bye in November would certainly be better, but :229031_shrug: .

This team seems to have the mental toughness to power through things like that. It's a minor concern, but not something to worry over much about. I think they'll be fine.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Instead of spreading out the byes so much I wish the league would pick four weeks in the middle of the season and give eight teams off each week. That way you aren't at a competitive disadvantage by having to take your bye week in September.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":11f5mobv said:
Instead of spreading out the byes so much I wish the league would pick four weeks in the middle of the season and give eight teams off each week. That way you aren't at a competitive disadvantage by having to take your bye week in September.

Can't do that as it violates the very first NFL commandment: Thou shall make as much money as humanly possible.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":3mv3pqip said:
Common sense isn't all that common in the upper offices in the NFL, starting with Rog!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1yp8d4fz said:
OMG THE LEAGUE HATES US!

j/k.........I loathe early season byes, combine this with our schedule being brutal in the 2nd half and it equals no bueno.
You bet.
I assume that every team in the League has their bye week hit them early in their schedules, got to be our turn sooner or later.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I wish that instead of expanding the playoffs or adding more games to the regular season, the NFL would just stretch the season out to Week 18, 19, or 20 and do double-byes for each team. It would give them more TV revenue AND improve the quality of play by giving teams more time to rest and reducing injuries.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":194uo8nc said:
I wish that instead of expanding the playoffs or adding more games to the regular season, the NFL would just stretch the season out to Week 18, 19, or 20 and do double-byes for each team. It would give them more TV revenue AND improve the quality of play by giving teams more time to rest and reducing injuries.

Agreed, either that or allow teams more players. It is fairly clear that today's athletes are bigger and faster, and therefore more easily injured.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
scutterhawk":25yl3tti said:
Sgt. Largent":25yl3tti said:
OMG THE LEAGUE HATES US!

You bet.
I assume that every team in the League has their bye week hit them early in their schedules, got to be our turn sooner or later.
Actually, Seattle has had 2 Week 4 Byes in the last 7 years counting 2014. That's out of 24 Byes given out for Week 4 during that span (2011 had no byes week 4). So one out of every 12 byes handed out for week 4 have gone to Seattle.

Teams that did not have a week 4 bye at all from 2008-2014:

San Fran
New Orleans
Houston
Chicago
Baltimore
Washington
San Diego
Oakland
Jacksonville
Tennessee
NY Jets
Buffalo

So no, our turn shouldn't be rolling around again for a week 4 bye till at least 2017 after all the above teams have theirs.

If you factor in Week 5 Byes since 2008, Seattle has had 3 byes out of 52 byes given out. During that span these teams have never had a bye week 4 or 5 while Seattle has had 3:

San Fran
Houston
Chicago
Buffalo
Jets
Jax
Tennessee

Most Seahawks fans are not surprised, I'm sure. I so expected to find this that I looked it up when I read your post.