SB MVP: Revisited...

HawkWow

Reaction score
Now that we've had this cooling period, as well as several different views (and viewings) of the game, anyone have a preference for the award over Smith? I thought Kam was most deserving back then and without discrediting Smith, which is not my intent with this thread, I feel Kam deserved it even more so now. Congrats to Smith just the same. He killed for us.

Anyone have a nominee aside from Smith and / or Kam?

Rainger

Reaction score
I know I am in the minority, but I still would have given it to Russell Wilson. Those 43 points didn't just come from the defense. RW 18/25 for 206 yards 2 TD's no Ints. Plus another 26 yards on the ground. he out played PM. Too much is made of passing yards and not enough of all the clutch things he did on 3rd down and the precision passes.

Meeker

Reaction score
Avril was deserving but didn't have the stats to actually get the award. Kam was the most deserving IMO.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Besides Kam? I don't...he took my man-crush level from a 8 to a 10 during that game. He was like a shark in a tank full of seals out there

12thManHawkFan

Reaction score
Against any other offense it would have been RW in my opinion. Let's say we won by 48-30, it probably would have gone to RW. But with that level of defensive dominance, against that offense in particular, RW didn't stand a chance.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
Excellent points made and perhaps the best (imo) suggesting the improbability of the award going to anyone from the offense. The D was making history out there. Hard for a voter to get passed that, I would think.

Avril was awesome and RW really rose to the occasion. Seemed like he really benefitted from the 2 week break. To me, and I'm just throwing this out there, he looked fresher than at any other time since before our trip to STL. I'd probably go Kam then RW for the award. Maybe the better question would have been who would you have 3rd? Smith, Avril...Harvin?

Throwdown

Reaction score
Kam should've got it IMO, he set the tone early and enforced it often.

But outside of them? Avril or Harvin, they both balled out.

Brahn

Reaction score
Throwdown":37lhlu3h said:

I also vote for the Kambulance.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
Throwdown":3i0xrmyt said:

So many good things happened for us in that game. Imagine if Kearse's TD won the game as time expired. Greatest play in SB history? Probably greatest play in NFL history...but in this game? It was just good. LOL.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I was just happy someone on the defense got it, the Superbowl MVP tends to go to an offensive player 90% of the time. Smith was deserving and I was really happy for him, I mean he was a 7th rd pick. But ultimately, I wish my boy Kam would of gotten it.

sutz

Reaction score
There were actually several options IMHO, most of whom have been mentioned. But 2 picks and a TD kind of sealed it for Smith. Hell, didn't Smith catch The Tip against SF? Without him, we might not have even been there. ;)

Avril was a one man wrecking crew. Thomas did his usual, not making much of a plash stat-wise while completely shutting down the deep game. Kam has been mentioned. Sherm was pretty untouchable, as usual.

Wilson played well enough for consideration, but it had to go to the D. That was a pretty historic effort. Almost got a shutout.

I'm sure I left a couple of guys out that could have been in the running in a normal game.

All in all, you could argue that Smith got it 'by default' and I'm fine with that. He doesn't get a lot of recognition, and the team seemed to not have a problem with that. Overall, I think our LBs are under-rated by many. They're actually pretty good.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
Blitzer88":bgd6mp3h said:
I was just happy someone on the defense got it, the Superbowl MVP tends to go to an offensive player 90% of the time. Smith was deserving and I was really happy for him, I mean he was a 7th rd pick. But ultimately, I wish my boy Kam would of gotten it.

..and sometimes it's just better to be lucky than good. Cowboy CB Larry Brown wouldn't have been able to start for our Hawks, but Neil O'Donnell made him look like a vacuum cleaner, virtually handing him the award. Brown should have taken O'Donnell to Disneyland with him.

DYLcurry59

Reaction score
You could also make a case for Harvin. He had a couple of huge plays on offense that set the tone early, and just the threat he posed being on the field even if he didn't have the stats. And of course he made the play that effectively put the game away.

I had no problem with Smith, and agree that Wilson and Kam could have won it as well.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
sutz":3frky1rq said:
There were actually several options IMHO, most of whom have been mentioned. But 2 picks and a TD kind of sealed it for Smith. Hell, didn't Smith catch The Tip against SF? Without him, we might not have even been there. ;)

Avril was a one man wrecking crew. Thomas did his usual, not making much of a plash stat-wise while completely shutting down the deep game. Kam has been mentioned. Sherm was pretty untouchable, as usual.

Wilson played well enough for consideration, but it had to go to the D. That was a pretty historic effort. Almost got a shutout.

I'm sure I left a couple of guys out that could have been in the running in a normal game.

All in all, you could argue that Smith got it 'by default' and I'm fine with that. He doesn't get a lot of recognition, and the team seemed to not have a problem with that. Overall, I think our LBs are under-rated by many. They're actually pretty good.

I'm definitely happy for Smith. Like his team mates, no complaint here. And you're so right about pt 2 of the tip. God I love that kid.

But I still yell GET DOWN ...TAKE A KNEE every time I watch that play...and still shivering when I yell it. ; )

kobebryant

Reaction score
Had to go to the D. Kam, Smith and Avril all seemed deserving.

Now, if it was like hockey where they name the MVP of the entirety of the playoffs: Kam.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I liked Avril and Bennett both. They generated so much difficulty. I can't decide on anyone from that game because the entire roster played lights out. I remember reading some other fans dogging on Wilson, but he was HUGE. The donks were totally dedicated to stopping the run, so Russ had to kill the clock by passing, which he did only he ended up scoring. He did it without a single turnover or miscue. Kamtrack brought it to the next level.

Makes me kind of bummed for all those defensive guys that played so well.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
sutz":2i8z7svf said:

This is totally where it's at. Sutz is absolutely correct. Among all that other great play, when you add it up Smith had it all. He made a few tremendous tackles for a loss, scored on a pick that he literally stole from Moreno and snatched that fumble.

He deserved it and the great part is that he stepped up his game once he had his chance with Wright injured.