SB MVP: Revisited...

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Then there was Percy. If he wouldn't have gone out of bounds on his first play I think a score there along with his KR would have sealed it for him.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":2rsibwfl said:
Then there was Percy. If he wouldn't have gone out of bounds on his first play I think a score there along with his KR would have sealed it for him.

No doubt...IIRC, I think it was the little juke he put on the defender that killed his shot at the endzone. It appeared had he just turned on the jets, he would have been home free. Not knocking him, I can only imagine the nerves at that stage of the game.

What was impressive about Bennett and Avril is we were dropping a lineman in coverage and only rushing 3 the majority of the game (again, IIRC). Still they managed to make Peyton's life a living hell back there. Sure hope we can extend Avril. Hate to break that duo up.

Uthawk

Reaction score
Kam is one of my favorites and after the game I thought he should win it over Smith. Then I reversed roles and thought about if Kam had the same plays and who Id have wanted to win in that scenario: Even more so, Kam. Basically, I think Smith earned it and it was cool to see it awarded to a less prominent player.

Wilson was amazing, Kam was amazing but Smith had a career day and earned it. Hearing Champ baileys comments on SoundFx was cool too. Player perspective is important and goes right along with Petes Mantra. Best player on the day wins it.

Throwdown

Reaction score
HawkWow":2kus1i20 said:
Throwdown":2kus1i20 said:
Kam should've got it IMO, he set the tone early and enforced it often.

But outside of them? Avril or Harvin, they both balled out.

So many good things happened for us in that game. Imagine if Kearse's TD won the game as time expired. Greatest play in SB history? Probably greatest play in NFL history...but in this game? It was just good. LOL.

Kearse had some nice plays in that game himself, not just that amazing TD where he looked like a man possessed.

The team was on that day, and they were pissed off, and the Broncos paid dearly.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
The defensive performance was so dominant that I thought they had to give it to either Smith or Chancellor, who were co-leaders in tackles with 10 (along with Wagner) and who each recorded an INT. In addition to leading the team in tackles, Smith scored the defense's lone TD and recovered a fumble. For those reasons, I too would have given the award to Smith.

A third defender I thought was deserving was Cliff Avril, who attacked Manning all game long and batted down two passes, which directly contributed to the turnovers.

If it wasn't going to go to Smith, Chancellor, or Avril, then Wilson would have been my next choice. With the running game going nowhere, it was up to Wilson to put the offense on his back. He was not flashy, but he was efficient. Then I think you would have to consider Harvin for his tone-setting first downs on sweep plays and his kickoff return that stuck the fork in the game to begin the second half. Those would be my top five choices.

Smellyman

Reaction score
I think Smith was a fine choice. Everyone says right place right time with the fumble recovery and INT, but being in the right place is huge. Also, it wasn't just that, didn't he have 10 tackles? and blew up several screens...

Dude was all over the place that game.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":1crhugyn said:
dbmack":1crhugyn said:
Kam was one of several players who didn't sign the pre contract.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/Feb ... olm-smith/

Thanks for the education, bro. Sobering stuff and despite Champ Bailey's cry for Smith, Kam not getting the award makes a bit more sense (to me) after reading your attachment. Kinda' BS, innit?

Kam not signing the deal with Disney has nothing to do with him not getting the MVP. Recent players/coaches to do the Disney thing that didn't win MVP: Trent Dilfer, Jon Gruden, Brad Johnson, Jerome Bettis, Tony Dungy, and Dominic Rhodes.

Vetamur

Reaction score
I understand the thinking for Wilson..but I dont know how you can shut down the top point scoring offense of all time and not give it to someone on the D side of the ball.

Im not sure I buy the Disney story.. in 2000 Ray Lewis won the MVP, but Dilfer went to Disneyland.

My thought has usually been Smith, but at the gym the other day when I watched the game on condensed version I sort of thought Kam. The difference though is Kam's int was a gift, Smith had to out hussle the receiver to get his and took it to the house. But Kam was an enforcer. Tough call. I can go either way on it.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Great to read this thread and just let the fact that we had so many candidates sink in even more.
Kam, Bennet, Avril, Wilson, Harvin and Kearse wouldn't have been longshots by any means.

We had several MVP-level performances, but you can choose only one.

I think Malcolm's play best exemplified Pete's philosophy (all about the ball) on a day where defense ruled the roost. Yes, Kam set the tone and got a pick himself, but one of Malcolm's takeaways wasn't just capitalizing on a mistake. He dislodged that ball from a very good receiver. He also scored points and had 10 tackles, including some tackles for losses.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":omtyxgl6 said:
Yes, Kam set the tone and got a pick himself, but one of Malcolm's takeaways wasn't just capitalizing on a mistake. He dislodged that ball from a very good receiver.
Actually, that is Byron Maxwell you are praising.

Smith recovered the fumble.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
My vote would have been for Clemons. Between he and Avril, they were making damn sure that Manning just was not having a nice day! Gonna miss Clem for sure.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I thought giving it to Smith was perfect. Lesser known guy with the token last name who defines what this team has been - late round guys stepping up to make plays taking advantage of every opportunity they get. His pick-6 was the defining moment of that game. When that INT happened, that's when you started to relax a bit as a hawks fan and start to enjoy the party, at least in my opinion.

We won our first Superbowl, I think second guessing the MVP is sort of a waste of time.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Anthony!":lsymy8vb said:
I would have given it to Rw, he set records in the SB.

Did he? Not saying that he didn't, just that I don't recall anything specific.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
I agree that it should have been Kam. My second choice would probably be Avril, because if you're going to give MVP to the play that truly broke the game open, that was much more Avril's than Smith's even though Smith got to run it in. With that said, Smith had the great nose for the ball to tail Sherman at the end of the NFCCG and gets practically no credit from anyone for that play, so him being in the right place at the right time during the Super Bowl and getting the MVP for it is fine with me.

If not for Kam or Avril, I would say Wilson or Harvin. Smith would have probably been my fifth choice, but I'm still alright with him having gotten it.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Kam was the best football player on the field in the '14 playoffs. Wilson played basically a flawless game. Avril wreaked havoc. Smith solidified the nickname "Big Play Malcolm Smith." Can't really go wrong with picking any of the four. A lot of dudes showed up.

Nike Football ‏@usnikefootball Feb 2
When it's the game of your dreams, play the game of your life. @Seahawks #justdoit pic.twitter.com/egkz2jTYCo

BfhIG1UIcAACHoz

Seafan

Reaction score
A backup defensive player, not an LOB or an elite pass rusher but a backup LB. Perfect. Truly showing what a real team performance it was. Every defensive player, every special team player, every offensive player played a part.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I dunno why we even need to have this convo.

just watch this and tell me what exactly we wanna second guess here:

[youtube]11F83vJDhUA[/youtube]

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Hawknballs":y0a06h2q said:

OP made it perfectly clear that he's happy for Malcolm Smith. I'm sure that all of us feel likewise. There's no reason not to discuss it; it's the offseason.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":1xwvesq2 said:
Hawknballs":1xwvesq2 said:

OP made it perfectly clear that he's happy for Malcolm Smith. I'm sure that all of us feel likewise. There's no reason not to discuss it; it's the offseason.

...and thankfully DEEP into the off-season. Despite the fact this would be our shortest off season ever, I just knew this wait would be like an eternity. Then I reflect and say...fo' real...it's been over 4 months since the SB? This next couple of months will be challenging, but with every single game recorded, I am confident I will get through this. lol. Go Hawks!