Where Art Thou Spencer Ware?

RussJames

Reaction score
Where the hell is Spencer Ware? I haven't heard a single word of him, seen a single picture of him, or read a single tweet from him since the Super Bowl. Is he still on the team? If he does manage to make the 53 man roster, will we have to go through a 2-4 week period where both he and Marshawn are suspended for their DUI's? eh?

Last season when he and Michael were drafted I was envisioning a future 1-2 punch, with Michael supplying the athleticism and Spencer supplying the boom. And imagine for a second; Goaline stand, Bailey in as TE, Kiero as the pounding FB, and Ware as the bruising halfback. Not even a brick wall could stop that.

Plus there's this little tidbit on Ware that makes me want him to succeed that much more...
Fast forward to about 2:40...http://videos.nola.com/times-picayune/2011/10/lsu_football_video_spencer_war_3.html

Where is Ware?

Basis4day

Reaction score
RussJames":8anx8xpu said:
Where the hell is Spencer Ware? I haven't heard a single word of him, seen a single picture of him, or read a single tweet from him since the Super Bowl. Is he still on the team? If he does manage to make the 53 man roster, will we have to go through a 2-4 week period where both he and Marshawn are suspended for their DUI's? eh?

Last season when he and Michael were drafted I was envisioning a future 1-2 punch, with Michael supplying the athleticism and Spencer supplying the boom. And imagine for a second; Goaline stand, Bailey in as TE, Kiero as the pounding FB, and Ware as the bruising halfback. Not even a brick wall could stop that.

Plus there's this little tidbit on Ware that makes me want him to succeed that much more...
Fast forward to about 2:40...http://videos.nola.com/times-picayune/2011/10/lsu_football_video_spencer_war_3.html

Where is Ware?

He was on the Hermosa Beach trip.

He won't get suspended. It was his first violation and they don't usually warrant suspensions.

(While still possible) Lynch also won't likely face suspension. It likely would have been announced following his guilty plea to reduced charges.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
We get excited about these players before they have done anything. Ultimately, I think Ware will be fighting Small for a roster spot. My feeling is that Ware is a better prospect, as both a runner and blocker, because of his superior athleticism. But Ware also has some misconduct issues that will have to be taken into account. You don't drink and drive, period. And you certainly don't drink and drive and create a distraction in the middle of the playoffs. He endangered the public and hurt his team.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
I think that Turbo is gonna be traded, especially if Michael and Small have great camps.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
hawknation2014":7tx6g1d5 said:
We get excited about these players before they have done anything. Ultimately, I think Ware will be fighting Small for a roster spot. My feeling is that Ware is a better prospect, as both a runner and blocker, because of his superior athleticism. But Ware also has some misconduct issues that will have to be taken into account. You don't drink and drive, period. And you certainly don't drink and drive and create a distraction in the middle of the playoffs. He endangered the public and hurt his team.

Small and Coleman are superior blockers than Ware and that's what ultimately will jettison Ware off the Seahawks roster. Seahawks have enough athletic types at running back. Unless Ware delivers something else, he's on the first bus out of Seattle.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1r4pojek said:
hawknation2014":1r4pojek said:

Small and Coleman are superior blockers than Ware and that's what ultimately will jettison Ware off the Seahawks roster. Seahawks have enough athletic types at running back. Unless Ware delivers something else, he's on the first bus out of Seattle.

Small has done nothing yet; we have no idea what kind of player he will be.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1pceszx1 said:
hawkfan68":1pceszx1 said:
hawknation2014":1pceszx1 said:

Neither has Ware. Small at least plays FB on a primary basis. So he has that.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3mbrwdra said:
hawknation2014":3mbrwdra said:
hawkfan68":3mbrwdra said:
hawknation2014":3mbrwdra said:

Small is also 5'8.5'' tall, has only a 25'' vertical, ran a 4.55 short shuttle, 7.25 3-cone, and a 4.9 40, and jumped just 8'0 in the broad jump. Plus, he stalled out or was knocked back by college linebackers. It's impressive to see someone with those kind of physical limitations rise to the ranks of a starting fullback at the college level. But we don't have the luxury of grading on a curve in the NFL. Camp is going to be a new kind of challenge for him.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
hawknation2014":110lx7tn said:

Small is also 5'8.5'' tall, has only a 25'' vertical, ran a 4.55 short shuttle, 7.25 3-cone, and a 4.9 40, and jumped just 8'0 in the broad jump. Plus, he stalled out or was knocked back by college linebackers. It's impressive to see someone with those kind of physical limitations rise to the ranks of a starting fullback at the college level. But we don't have the luxury of grading on a curve in the NFL. Camp is going to be a new kind of challenge for him.[/quote]

Ok. Where did I mention that I thought Small would be the starting FB? Nowhere. I just said he would beat out Ware. Ware is not starting FB material either at this point.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2xj5mpzb said:
Ok. Where did I mention that I thought Small would be the starting FB? Nowhere. I just said he would beat out Ware. Ware is not starting FB material either at this point.

It's too soon to say that. Maybe neither has the ability to contribute or maybe one or both do. Camp and the preseason will sort this out once they get into pads and start hitting. Each player has a lot to prove . . . and overcome.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Everybody has their own horse in the race...

I ultimately think Small will win the FB position or Derrick Coleman will have had competed his ass off while proving he' improved as a lead-blocker FB.

I also feel Ware will get stashed on the PS.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Ziggyy108":3ahs1ft9 said:
I think that Turbo is gonna be traded, especially if Michael and Small have great camps.

It would be insanity to trade Turbin. He costs us next to nothing and we could get next to nothing for him. He more than serves his purpose on this team and with more reps, may possibly be our next break out guy.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
HawkWow":2lkt4adm said:
Ziggyy108":2lkt4adm said:

It would be insanity to trade Turbin. He cost's us next to nothing and we could get next to nothing for him. He more than serves his purpose on this team and with more reps, may likely be our next break out guy.

I agree with you that Turbin is more valuable to the Seahawks than he is to anyone else, and therefore could never be treaded. But I have a feeling he won't breakout as a runner. He's just not shifty enough and lacks balance upon contact. Turbin was one of the 10 worst backs in the NFL at breaking tackles (just 4.7% of his touches). http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-a ... es-offense

But he was also "Mr. Reliable" as a run-out-the-clock back and pass blocker on third downs. Once a player has gained Pete's trust, they enter his inner circle.

In my opinion, Turbin could extend his career and become a starter by making the transition to fullback. If he can add a little more strength and bulk to his lower body, while developing his run blocking technique, he would be a dangerous lead blocker with his combination of strength, speed to the hole, and low center of gravity. As a pure runner, he doesn't possess much upside.

CANHawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":2xb2ag5p said:
Ziggyy108":2xb2ag5p said:

It would be insanity to trade Turbin. He costs us next to nothing and we could get next to nothing for him. He more than serves his purpose on this team and with more reps, may possibly be our next break out guy.

no disrespect to bobby turbo, but guys like him are a dike a dozen. we wouldnt get anything for him because teams can pick up a comparable back for nothing off the street. hes worth a lot more to us as a guy on the depth chart than whatever we could get in trade.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Ziggyy108":25pt3wei said:

The most important "camp' is the one that begins the end of July. That's the one where Pete separates the "grain from the chaff". Talking of "trade" at this point is pointless speculation.

Mick063

Reaction score
JS described Small as a "Thumper". He just may "thump" his way on to the roster.

I don't think Ware is going to make the cut.

Didn't see much video of Small's pass protect and that will likely make or break his tenure. So very important for the backs to protect from the inside out. The middle pressure always takes top priority. So many backs don't seem to get that.

Small did look really good as a receiver.

You know how Russell likes to make those "shovel the ball forward while I'm falling down as I'm running for my life" desperation passes? I can envision Small being on the receiving end of those. Especially because those desperation passes are typically short, low to the ground, and relatively close to the quarterback....sorta like Small is.

John L Williams would flourish with Russell as his QB. A top notch receiving fullback would add immense pressure to the defense. It would open up those play action passes to the tight end down the seam because the linebackers would have to honor both running backs as a receiving threat. This is exactly how the Forty Niners employ that converted DE that plays receiving fullback for them.....to open up Vernon Davis.

Passing out of the I formation on first down is the ultimate deceit and one of my favorite calls.

chris98251

Reaction score
Turbin does not have the anchor to be a good fullback, hips and legs way to thin to absorb and deliver consistently, Ware is much more suitable body wise, but like many player may not have his heart in switching to the work horse from the race horse so to speak.

People or some in particular keep blasting Small due to his height, he will make this team becasue he is a competitor and works his ass off. He is the type of guy Lynch will love playing with and is a smart player as well. Seems pretty natural at the position from what I seen.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
chris98251":26y6784g said:
Turbin does not have the anchor to be a good fullback, hips and legs way to thin to absorb and deliver consistently, Ware is much more suitable body wise, but like many player may not have his heart in switching to the work horse from the race horse so to speak.

People or some in particular keep blasting Small due to his height, he will make this team becasue he is a competitor and works his ass off. He is the type of guy Lynch will love playing with and is a smart player as well. Seems pretty natural at the position from what I seen.

Will he make it to the hole before Lynch with that 4.9 40?

chris98251

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2yl3c7oc said:
chris98251":2yl3c7oc said:

40 yd speed and hitting a hole or a blocker 5 yds away are not the same, it is noted he gets moving and out of his stance quickly and engages.

In fact if you use 40 times then M Rob, Colemen and
every other FB in the league is a failure to block for a RB since they usually have a faster 40 time then a FB.

Try again.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
chris98251":3s3e1sp7 said:
hawknation2014":3s3e1sp7 said:
chris98251":3s3e1sp7 said:

40 yd speed and hitting a hole or a blocker 5 yds away are not the same, it is noted he gets moving and out of his stance quickly and engages.

In fact if you use 40 times then M Rob, Colemen and
every other FB in the league is a failure to block for a RB since they usually have a faster 40 time then a FB.

Try again.

I posted this once in another thread but I will post it again here:

Michael Robinson (6'1, 240, 4.57)
Derrick Coleman (6'0, 230, 4.56)
Spencer Ware (5'10, 228, 4.62)
Robert Turbin (5'10, 222, 4.42)
Kiero Small (5'8, 244, 4.90)

One of these things is not like the other.