[Stupid Question] Signing UDFA / practice squad players

HawkHack

Reaction score
I told you it was a stupid question. But what exactly does it mean to sign these kinds of guys at this point? Like Rashaun Allen, per a previous thread.

Specifically, I assume there's some sort of very short-term contract with all sorts of opt-outs on the part of the team (that would be the "signing" part). And I assume there's some sort of money involved. Does that count toward the salary cap?

Or is the contract just: "if you make the team, we'll pay you."?

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
They sign a standard 3-year contract for the league minimum. It's completely unguaranteed, so there's no cap hit if they get cut. They only count against the cap if they make the 53-man active roster (or are placed on I.R.) AND if their cap number for that year is one of the top 51 highest cap numbers on the team (including players on I.R.). Only a few occasional priority undrafted free agents receive very small signing bonuses (ex: John Lotulelei last year), and those bonuses do count against the cap even if they don't make the team, but the amounts are immaterial (typically $5K, up to a max of $25K).

OP
OP
H

HawkHack

Reaction score
Thanks! So then it is basically "if you make the team, we'll pay you." (Otherwise, thanks for trying out.)

brimsalabim

Reaction score
A friend of mine's son went to Dallas as UDFA a few seasons ago. His agent had a deal in place with the cowboys in case he went undrafted and he did. His deal was league minimum plus a small stipend to cover travel to camp. Ultimately he was released from his contract and quickly picked up by the browns on another league minimum deal but no travel expenses this time. He made it to the practice squad but was let go when they needed to make room for another possition. So far this season he has no takers his contract money is almost gone and wishes he had maybe gone to Canada to play.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
They all also get free room and board prior to the cuts to 53. Either at the team facilities or wherever they are housed by the team if the team isn't practicing, though the team wants to keep these guys around to pump up their training so most of the meals are served at the VMac.

mikeak

Reaction score
I think all 53 players on the roster counts against the cap. The top 51 count is just prior to season.

I might be wrong but pretty sure that is how it works