Let's put this to rest, please

Kixkahn

Reaction score
Can we please put this all to rest? “Put what to rest?” you may ask.
This infighting about the Hawks going down the drain and others berating them for having that opinion is not a productive model of communication and does nothing to support the team or the 12s.
So let’s hash it out here. After all we are all Seahawks fans.

I can see both sides of the debate. This is what I personally have been seeing in other fans as well as myself:

1. Fans get emotionally attached to players
Throughout the season fans learn who their favorite players are based on whatever reasons. Those emotions carry over into the off season (especially after a season like this last one). So those emotions are still there when one of those favorites leaves the team. It is saddening to see one of your favorite players leave. Those emotions may flow out in their comments. This is not a bad thing.

2. Fans are not All-Knowing
Players that leave the team are no longer someone to look forward to. They are now fond memories and will remain that way. However those memories are strong and it is hard to see anyone replacing those memories at this time. Last seasons players are a ‘known’ variable. We know how they play and what to expect from them. The hole that is left, when they leave, is impossible to be seen filled by anyone else at this time. There may be other players that could fill the position, maybe even better. However, those players are an ‘unknown’ variable because we have not seen them perform in that hole that was left.

3. Fans are people that deserve respect
Every fan of any team, regardless of any affiliation is still a human being that is entitled to their own opinion. This is a free country and therefore people can still have their opinions about situations. Everybody on this board should understand and respect each others opinions as just that, opinions. If a person states an opinion you do not agree with, debate it. Do not criticize the person for their take on a situation. Respect the person for what they are ‘A Blue and Green 12’. All people deserve a bit of respect when it comes to their opinions.

I know I personally try to avoid the .net forums during this week for this exact reason. There is too much disrespect and disdain going around. I love these forums and I think we are all better than petty bickering.

That said, I agree that we need to wait and see what the FO does to 'fill the gap' left by the former Seahawks (they can never be replaced). There is always going to be skepticism in my thoughts about those coming in, at least until they prove me wrong. There is nothing wrong with a bit of skepticism. I trust the FO will do what they think is best, but that may differ from what I think is best (nothing wrong with that).

So let’s be a bit more respectable, understand that not everyone shares your opinion, and watch and hope that the Seahawks emerge stronger and more dominant than last season (hard to do).

GO HAWKS!!!!!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Boy...thank God you came along

Seriously though...its an internet forum

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
I would read your entire post and most of the time agree with it but I'm not in the mood to be serious right now.

I AM ALL KNOWING.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Here here!

That's why I posted on another thread:

"Why is it that as some have clearly lost our objectivity, everyone seems to have lost anything close to a sense of humor?"

McGruff

Reaction score
Three more rules we should know and remember . . .

1. Players are not emotionally attached to fans. No more than cashiers are attached to customers or lawyers are attached to clients or politicians are attached to constituents. Its nothing personal. They may appreciate you. And they've done their job for you. But they don't love you the way you love them. Get over it. They just aren't into you.

2. Players are not altruistic. They don't play football for fun. Sure, they may love the game, but most of them hate practice, they hate the media, they hate the business, and they hate the pain. They play football because they are naturally talented, and because they've groomed that talent, and because there is money to be made from that talent. And just like everyone else they want to get paid as much as possible.

3. Players are people that deserve respect. You don't have to understand the reasons they leave. But they poured their blood out on the field for 4 years for your entertainment. They brought you, the fans, the greatest prize sport has to offer . . . A World Championship. And they have kids, wives, moms and dads, friends and co-workers. They give their time to charities in the community. The same people you cheered for are the same people who are moving on to different teams for a myriad of complex reasons that you will never know or understand . . . nor do you have a right to. And to sit behind the safety of your key board and blast their character, their competitiveness, their desire . . . to call them names and to wish them harm . . . is disrespecting their humanity and their contributions to this team that you cheer. Its also doing an incredible disservice to the 12th man of which you are a part.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
McGruff":2cb8xzbi said:

1. Players are not emotionally attached to fans. No more than cashiers are attached to customers or lawyers are attached to clients or politicians are attached to constituents. Its nothing personal. They may appreciate you. And they've done their job for you. But they don't love you the way you love them. Get over it. They just aren't into you.

2. Players are not altruistic. They don't play football for fun. Sure, they may love the game, but most of them hate practice, they hate the media, they hate the business, and they hate the pain. They play football because they are naturally talented, and because they've groomed that talent, and because there is money to be made from that talent. And just like everyone else they want to get paid as much as possible.

3. Players are people that deserve respect. You don't have to understand the reasons they leave. But they poured their blood out on the field for 4 years for your entertainment. They brought you, the fans, the greatest prize sport has to offer . . . A World Championship. And they have kids, wives, moms and dads, friends and co-workers. They give their time to charities in the community. The same people you cheered for are the same people who are moving on to different teams for a myriad of complex reasons that you will never know or understand . . . nor do you have a right to. And to sit behind the safety of your key board and blast their character, their competitiveness, their desire . . . to call them names and to wish them harm . . . is disrespecting their humanity and their contributions to this team that you cheer. Its also doing an incredible disservice to the 12th man of which you are a part.

This should be pinned at the top of the board.

OP
OP
Kixkahn

Kixkahn

Reaction score
McGruff":gt6c4h6d said:

Absolutely agree 100%

kjreid

Reaction score
Quite frankly if the sky wasn't falling and people were not making stupid comments, why would we need this website :)

ManBunts

Reaction score
I will say this, I understand where you're coming from with this post. I really do. But at the same time, you say that opinions differ, which makes this post somewhat hypocritical. But that said, I get the emotion that spawned it, however it's not a Seahawk-centric issue.

It's the melodrama of Free Agency that is cultivated by every NFL reporter, scout, player, blogger, etc. Everything from Schefter's completely detail-less "X is visiting team Y, shows interest" that suddenly becomes gospel, to ESPN's 10 page analysis of every team's needs based on who knows what. It's all geared to push every button. So, I get where you're coming from, but I'm not sure that it's necessarily a fan/forum issue.

What IS a Seahawk fan/forum issue are the random "What if" posts, pondering everything from if we'd lost the Super Bowl to if Harvin hadn't come back healthy. Why even go there people? Retrospective drama ain't necessary with all the juicy stuff out there in the now.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
I agree. Nothing will change though, but worth putting it out.
All forums have a share of people that don't know how to discuss and debate with civility. Shoot. Tech and video game forums are one of the worst. Some of it comes down to not knowing how to communicate via a keyboard, trying to be Sarcastic purposefully, or just know-it-all.