Does maxwell have slot experience? (hypothetical)

bigcc

Reaction score
I think its pretty safe to assume that thurmond is gone. Now let's assume Browner wins his appeal and is good to go next season, and was acquirable for vet minimum......

Would you rather see Sherman/Browner/Maxwell
or Sherman/Maxwell/Lane?

Problem with the 2nd scenario is what happens if a CB gets hurt? We have to assume Shead or Humble Thug (honestly can't remember his actual name lol) is ready to step right in?

Another thing to keep in mind- Maxwell is a FA after this season.... he'd be a lot cheaper to resign after a season in the slot than playing like he has on the outside for a full season.

Thoughts?

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Personally, I'd love to have Browner back on a good deal.

jblaze

Reaction score
Maxwell has won the #2 spot, he's an outside guy. BB and Thurmond are gone. Lane most likely will be our slot CB.

Simon, Auguste and Fenner are all waiting in the wings. Auguste is 5'9" and more of a slot type in our system.

Sherman has been praising Auguste for the last few months. He and Simon are ballers, we haven't seen much of Fenner yet.

Also I'm sure we'll draft another CB.

ivotuk

Reaction score
IIRC, Byron played strictly corner at Clemson and played a lot of press too which was one of the reasons John Schneider drafted him. I think Pete Carroll's "system" can take a good, long DB and make him a Pro-Bowler much the way Dick LeBeau's defense makes average linebackers look like Pro-Bowlers. But as in any system, they have to have at least one superstar to make them go. Earl Thomas for Seattle and Polamalu for Pittsburgh.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Barring a major surprise, Sherman and Maxwell are the starting CBs next year.

Seattle Times":194oc5wh said:
One player Carroll said still has a ways to go to recover is cornerback Tharold Simon, a rookie in 2013 who missed the season with injuries to both feet. Carroll said Simon recently had another surgery and “might be a little longer’’ in his recovery.

I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted a couple of CBs then brought in another couple of FA/UDFA to compete on the 90 man roster.

Basis4day

Reaction score
They're moving on from Browner. If he wins his appeal it still won't be at vet minimum.

They love Maxwell opposite Sherman and have shown an ability to find DB's. They'll roll with what they have, draft some people and let camp sort it out.

Looks like they're turning Shead into a safety anyway.

And before anyone brings it up (like they did last year during the Browner/Sherman PED thing and the offseason). No, do not move ET to Corner in Nickel situations. Thomas at FS makes the whole thing work. Find someone to play nickel corner.

OP
OP
B

bigcc

Reaction score
Basis4day":3nz8d35l said:
They're moving on from Browner. If he wins his appeal it still won't be at vet minimum.

Well if Maxwell can't play the slot its a moot point, but what makes you think (assuming he wins the appeal) that a team would offer a 29-30 year old CB whose a mistake away from serious trouble enough money to where he'd take it over Seattle?

EDIT: People were seriously talking about having Thomas cover the slot WR? Lol

jblaze

Reaction score
BB is done through week 11 or 12 next year. No one is going to take a chance on him at the end of the year like that given he's more of a system guy and it doesn't translate well into other systems unless you have the entire secondary there to back him up.

My guess is BB is done. Lane in the slot is the obvious assignment.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Who said Maxwell can't play nickel? He won't because he has a starting role, but when Browner was hurt against Atlanta it was Thurmond who took his spot and Maxwell who stepped into the slot. After Thurmond was suspended Maxwell got the opportunity to start and played so well that he kept the job. Lane did well at nickel and so he probably has a big edge over Thurmond there given Thurmond's status and suspension.

thebanjodude

Reaction score
I was a staunch defender of Browner but now I'd personally rather just see Maxwell play. His coverage hasn't been as good this year and he hasn't come up with game-changing plays (one of the culprits of the loss to Indy). If he does somehow come back, I'd rather see Sherman/Maxwell/Lane.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I believe whenever Browner was hurt, Thurmond would start on the outside and then slide inside in nickel packages. I think Max stayed primarily on the outside whenever he came in. Could be wrong.

It's probably a good year to look at smaller nickel DBs in the draft. Have a feeling there's going to be a premium on tall outside guys after this season...

Basis4day

Reaction score
bigcc":19smk20q said:
Basis4day":19smk20q said:

Well if Maxwell can't play the slot its a moot point, but what makes you think (assuming he wins the appeal) that a team would offer a 29-30 year old CB whose a mistake away from serious trouble enough money to where he'd take it over Seattle?

EDIT: People were seriously talking about having Thomas cover the slot WR? Lol

If he win's his appeal it's safe to assume that there will be a new clarification on what stage of substance abuse protocol he actually is in, and what stage he should have been. So it's unclear if he messed up again how many games he could actually be suspended.

Vet minimum is a shade under 600,000. Someone will pay him more than that if eligible. Not all FO's make great decisions.

And yes, it was suggested that ET be moved to Nickel CB by quite a few posters. It's the same crowd that wanted Kam moved to LB (Despite being a pro-bowl safety at the time) and then moving Browner to Safety or making Browner the Nickel Corner when facing good TE because our LB's cant cover TE. Pretty clear from the first NO game onwards that they can. The Defensive success of his team is not based on gimmicks.

SDHawk

Reaction score
jblaze":1kxbc30i said:
Maxwell has won the #2 spot, he's an outside guy. BB and Thurmond are gone. Lane most likely will be our slot CB.

Simon, Auguste and Fenner are all waiting in the wings. Auguste is 5'9" and more of a slot type in our system.

Sherman has been praising Auguste for the last few months. He and Simon are ballers, we haven't seen much of Fenner yet.

Also I'm sure we'll draft another CB.

Agree with this.

I think Lane, Auguste and maybe Shead will compete for slot duties.

jblaze

Reaction score
Shead is too big for the slot, guy is a monster. He's being molded into a backup SS behind Kam.

OP
OP
B

bigcc

Reaction score
DavidSeven":20m5uuic said:
I believe whenever Browner was hurt, Thurmond would start on the outside and then slide inside in nickel packages. I think Max stayed primarily on the outside whenever he came in. Could be wrong.

Well that was my thinking if he could actually play it.... when just two CB's in, it'd still be Maxwell/Sherman, but he'd slide inside for Browner in the nickel.... im just worried at the thought of losing both Maxwell AND Sherman after this season, which is a realistic possibility.

jblaze

Reaction score
We won't lose Sherman after this year. We'll franchise him if we can't extend him this year or sign him as a UFA next year.

We'll probably let Maxwell walk after this year. We just keep churning them through in the #2 spot in a constant competition.

Basis4day

Reaction score
bigcc":3arghmqy said:
DavidSeven":3arghmqy said:

Well that was my thinking if he could actually play it.... when just two CB's in, it'd still be Maxwell/Sherman, but he'd slide inside for Browner in the nickel.... im just worried at the thought of losing both Maxwell AND Sherman after this season, which is a realistic possibility.

The FO has the benefit of knowing exactly how the contract negotiations are going and can attempt to prepare for such an event.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
bigcc":3afbhgpb said:
DavidSeven":3afbhgpb said:

We'll lose Maxwell, not Sherman. Just my opinion. Once Maxwell leaves, we can plug either Lane or Simon on his side. As long as we grab another slot CB or Auguste pans out, I don't see it becoming an immediate issue. I think Lane is a fine solution for 2014.

OP
OP
B

bigcc

Reaction score
If we franchised him we'd be losing quite a few guys..... cheap players who are gonna be FA's

Baldwin, Kearse,
Wright, Smith,
Sherm, Maxwell

Expensive guys we might be able to resign cheaper
Avril, Clemons

and then ET

Killer that they pair up at the same positions like that,

Latest posts