Does maxwell have slot experience? (hypothetical)

jblaze

Reaction score
Franchise or not, he's going to be making about the same money. He's the best CB in the game, a franchise tag would probably be a pay cut being it's an average of the top 5 paid at the position and he'll likely command the most in NFL history at CB type money.

AgentDib

Reaction score
DavidSeven":9162arls said:
I believe whenever Browner was hurt, Thurmond would start on the outside and then slide inside in nickel packages. I think Max stayed primarily on the outside whenever he came in. Could be wrong.
I took a look and you are correct here. There were also a handful of situations where Maxwell was on the right side, Thurmond was on the left side, and Sherman dropped back into cover 3.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
bigcc":3bn9l3wo said:
If we franchised him we'd be losing quite a few guys..... cheap players who are gonna be FA's

Baldwin, Kearse,
Wright, Smith,
Sherm, Maxwell

Expensive guys we might be able to resign cheaper
Avril, Clemons

and then ET

Killer that they pair up at the same positions like that,

Nature of the beast in the salary cap era. I think we can expect an annual roster turnover of at least 25%, which is pretty normal. Kearse will be RFA in 2015, so you can re-sign him for cheap. There might be some money for Baldwin depending on what happens with Tate. Not sure if any of the other losses would be extremely painful. I love our LBs, but our scheme makes it relatively simple to plug in young guys with a lot of speed.

Hawks46

Reaction score
jblaze":2i7munqt said:
We won't lose Sherman after this year. We'll franchise him if we can't extend him this year or sign him as a UFA next year.

We'll probably let Maxwell walk after this year. We just keep churning them through in the #2 spot in a constant competition.

Huh ? this makes no sense. If he starts out playing well...hell if no one can beat him out in camp, then he's going to get an extension offer. The way he's played already, he's in line for a fat contract in Free Agency. Why wouldn't you sign a young guy that's playing at an elite level (and will most likely get better...look at this year as the end of Maxwell's rookie year in terms of game experience). He could have almost an almost Sherman ceiling, he just took longer to get there, and was a bit snakebit earlier in his career.

blazen2392

Reaction score
Better question. Does anyone think Maxwell could be a pro bowler next year?

He may not have the athletisicm of a corner like patrick peterson, but he covers just as well as he does imo.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Maybe if he keeps ball-hawking.

I'm wondering how good his coverage on D. Thomas actually was, though. Didn't give up anything big, but Thomas did have 13 catches for 113 yards (Super Bowl record). Sherman covered Thomas on 18 snaps and gave up only 1 catch for 4 yards. 12 catches and 109 yards unaccounted for. Seemed like Max got beat quite a bit (one big play negated by FF).

kjreid

Reaction score
DavidSeven":z6ewta2q said:

I'm wondering how good his coverage on D. Thomas actually was, though. Didn't give up anything big, but Thomas did have 13 catches for 113 yards (Super Bowl record). Sherman covered Thomas on 18 snaps and gave up only 1 catch for 4 yards. 12 catches and 109 yards unaccounted for. Seemed like Max got beat quite a bit (one big play negated by FF).
He got a sizable amount of those yards in the 2nd half when it was 29-0. Maxwell is a keeper

blazen2392

Reaction score
DavidSeven":29cqu9sd said:

I would say most of those yards where on thurmond.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
blazen2392":clf0wvr4 said:
DavidSeven":clf0wvr4 said:

Might be right. Max definitely got beat bad on Thomas's only TD and on the long reception that he forced a fumble on.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Considering Kam blew DT up on the second offensive snap of the game, they moved him all over the place.

12 for 109 for a 9.1 avg. (rounded up) most of the yardage on a garbage time TD catch and a considerable amount of catches after our D could lower their intensity and still win.

That's sort of the calling card of our defense, turning QB's into checkdown artists taking what Seattle will give them, limiting YAC and lengthening drives so sack and turnover opportunities increase. Like Sherman said, all Denver had to do was double move and throw deep. But it's not like our DL gave Manning the confidence to do that.

TJH

Reaction score
Browner was a liability and our pass D got significantly better without him.

w00t

Reaction score
DavidSeven":awk1wzen said:
blazen2392":awk1wzen said:
DavidSeven":awk1wzen said:

Might be right. Max definitely got beat bad on Thomas's only TD and on the long reception that he forced a fumble on.

No he didn't. Why do you keep saying that? I am watching the game again and he didn't get beat on that play. He was covering Julius Thomas #80 and then went after D.Thomas and then forced the fumble.

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/v ... cc256096c4

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Ah, didn't remember it correctly. Can't see vid. Who was lined up across him?

blazen2392

Reaction score
DavidSeven":pohs1w8a said:
blazen2392":pohs1w8a said:
DavidSeven":pohs1w8a said:

no that one thurmond got beat bad. go rewatch it. Only think hes guilty off on that play was forcing a fumble. as for being beat by thomas on the TD, that was just a phenomenal catch.

w00t

Reaction score
DavidSeven":4lu9g6ur said:
Ah, didn't remember it correctly. Can't see vid. Who was lined up across him?

Broncos went bunch formation and D.Thomas was suppose to be picked up by 1 of LBers.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
looked like DT was mismatched on LB coverage to me. Kam was responsible initially but Wagner took over coverage as DT crossed over to Maxwell's side.

jblaze

Reaction score
Hawks46":3of062jk said:
jblaze":3of062jk said:
We won't lose Sherman after this year. We'll franchise him if we can't extend him this year or sign him as a UFA next year.

We'll probably let Maxwell walk after this year. We just keep churning them through in the #2 spot in a constant competition.

Huh ? this makes no sense. If he starts out playing well...hell if no one can beat him out in camp, then he's going to get an extension offer. The way he's played already, he's in line for a fat contract in Free Agency. Why wouldn't you sign a young guy that's playing at an elite level (and will most likely get better...look at this year as the end of Maxwell's rookie year in terms of game experience). He could have almost an almost Sherman ceiling, he just took longer to get there, and was a bit snakebit earlier in his career.

It's simple, you can't sign everyone to extensions. That's part of the PC and JS genius is that they can get guys in the draft and they'll perform at a pro bowl level on the cheap for 3-4 years. Our defensive players, I would argue, are more system guys than outright talent athletic freaks of nature. Pete talks about it all the time when asked about the defense. They coach them up and put them in positions to succeed so we're more a system defense than just about anyone. You could plug and play a lot of different people as long as they fit the mold of what we're looking for. That's the entire philosophy and how the "win forever" will work, it's not about players, it's about the system more than anything.

You can't sign ET, Kam, Sherm and Maxwell to big contracts, there's just not enough cash to go around. They generally go a 65m offense/55m defense split on the salary cap and you'd eat a ton of that up with those 4 guys. You've also got LB's and more DE's coming up to pay so you have to split the difference somewhere.

And Maxie is no Sherman, come on...

It's simple math.