tom cable

Crizilla

Reaction score
Haven't really heard much from him post Superbowl. Any links to interviews or anything?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
There was a short audio interview with him on .com right after the SB.

12evanf

Reaction score
Is Tom Cable a genius or a scrub? We just won the Super Bowl with JR Sweezy starting on our line. I thought a great offensive line was necessary for winning football and we just proved that isn't the case. So frankly I'm confused by this.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
12evanf":1939w3pv said:
Is Tom Cable a genius or a scrub? We just won the Super Bowl with JR Sweezy starting on our line. I thought a great offensive line was necessary for winning football and we just proved that isn't the case. So frankly I'm confused by this.

I wouldn't say any one thing is "necessary" to winning the super bowl per se. It just means other parts of your team have to be that much better to compensate for other deficiencies. (see Trent Dilfer)

BlueTalon

Reaction score
12evanf":1g2tjyjp said:
Is this a serious question?

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
12evanf":3g5x3uxo said:

Considering what he was able to do this year. With a number of injured players. He is a genius.

If we didn't have a mobile QB that would be different. The team would have to invest more in the OL. With that said I'd like to see a bit more young talent infused into what we have.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Cable is a damn good coach, but I still think they will look to significantly upgrade the O Line this off season.

The line played great in the Super Bowl, but they don't usually do so well against the elite defensive lines. There just so happens to be three of those in our Division. It was a revelation seeing how good Wilson can be and how functional our offense is when Wilson has a clean pocket and time to throw.

I won't be surprised to see three different starters on the line heading into the next season, two for sure.

12evanf

Reaction score
BlueTalon":1jhr1j2d said:
12evanf":1jhr1j2d said:

Yes. Pre Super Bowl our entire line, individually, graded negatively according to PFF. McQuistan was like -24 IIRC.

Cable likes taking on projects but I think he gets too cute. Sorry for not thinking every area of our team is perfect?

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Hopefully he's hard at work figuring out how to fix Max Unger. He badly needs to return to 2012 form

Seafan

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":37tjqzoj said:
Hopefully he's hard at work figuring out how to fix Max Unger. He badly needs to return to 2012 form

Unger is likely going to get fixed by the medical staff first.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
12evanf":1dwacjpj said:
BlueTalon":1dwacjpj said:
12evanf":1dwacjpj said:
Yes. Pre Super Bowl our entire line, individually, graded negatively according to PFF. McQuistan was like -24 IIRC.

Cable likes taking on projects but I think he gets too cute. Sorry for not thinking every area of our team is perfect?
Considering we dealt with injuries this season, and Cable had to keep that unit held together with duct tape for a significant part of the season, I'm just astonished that anyone would consider him a possible "scrub."

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to have a stupid opinion be free from ridicule.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Cable's a good coach but I question his ability to find good linemen. We've had some solid guys but nobody spectacular. I do like what the future looks like in Bowie and Bailey tho.

Subzero717

Reaction score
-The Glove-":3vc6lfst said:
Cable's a good coach but I question his ability to find good linemen. We've had some solid guys but nobody spectacular. I do like what the future looks like in Bowie and Bailey tho.

I kind of think he thinks like Gibbs. Although that philosophy is destroyed by our 2011 draft. Moffit just head wise wasnt into it. I put talent eval on JS.

amill87

Reaction score
I think our o-line is average, perhaps even slightly above.

There are multiple things going into how we perceive them. The injuries for the first 3/4 of the season. The defenses that we played against. And lastly, our play calling can be quite conservative at times, which usually leads to telegraphing if we are gonna run or pass.

With all those factors plus the rotation of LG continuing and a DT learning the position, I think they did alright. I see some stability coming in the form of Bowie and bailey though. I think it's highly likely that Bailey takes over at RT this season and we let Breno go

chrispy

Reaction score
Couple things....

I was at U of I when Cable was there. His rep was more like the guy in Oakland than it is now in Seattle. I think he deserves credit for the Sweezy project. He probably deserves blame for Carpenter (maybe not as a bust but as not living up to his draft status).

I kind of look at it as being a better coach than talent evaluator. I wonder what he could do with Gabe Carimi? He's a FA as of today and Seattle seems to be a desirable destination. There's the obvious Wisconsin connection too. Maybe allowing the player to make use of his strengths while minimizing his weaknesses and Cable coaching him up would make a pretty good fit....????

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
BlueTalon":2lnaijki said:
12evanf":2lnaijki said:
BlueTalon":2lnaijki said:
12evanf":2lnaijki said:

Considering we dealt with injuries this season, and Cable had to keep that unit held together with duct tape for a significant part of the season, I'm just astonished that anyone would consider him a possible "scrub."

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to have a stupid opinion be free from ridicule.

Duct tape and PC chewing gum. PC wants his gum back too. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

12evanf

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":jget5s93 said:
BlueTalon":jget5s93 said:

Duct tape and PC chewing gum. PC wants his gum back too. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

Our line looked like it was held together with duct tape though, its not like he took the backups and made them look like stars. Russell Wilson is probably the most mobile/elusive QB playing the game but was still one of the highest sacked in the league (yes he held the ball too long at times). With Cable's input at draft and the results we see on the field, for me, 2014 is a "prove it" year for Cable. If nothing else keep him for his philosophy but have him sit out on draft day.

Not trying to be a party pooper its just that our O line is the one weak link I see.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
To me OL is a major concern. I'm tired of seeing RW running for his life on every single pass play against a front 7 that's anything above average. Re-signing Bennett and upgrading our OL to me is top priority.

Exittium

Reaction score
I like tom cable.. but I think I only like him because he looks literally.. 100% like my grandfather..I know off topic, HOWEVER Yeah I'm tired of the experiments and what not, I just want a steady dependable Oline. That would probably cut my BP down by half while watching the games.

twelthmanfan

Reaction score
Our O Line is average against the NFC West and that is why we need to upgrade. Arizona, the Rams and whiners are already looking forward to next year.