'79 Sonics or 2013 Seahawks?

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Not sure if a thread like this has been created...

With that said I was an 80s baby so I never got the chance to experience the 79 championship won by the Sonics but a question I have for you older 12s out there is which championship did you guys enjoy more? Which was more bigger to the city of Seattle?

BullHawk33

Reaction score
The 79 Sonics championship was an amazing experience. Especially since it was over 5 games. The hype built up and the parade turnout was amazing.

That said, it doesn't hold a candle to this NFL Championship. Everything is left on the field in the NFL in a 1 game epic all-or-nothing fight. As good as basketball can be, football is much better. I'm going to this parade Wednesday and looking forward to putting the exclamation point for this whole thing. Such an amazing blessing.

I'll also say that losing the Sonics has soured the whole NBA thing for me. Hopefully we can get an NBA team back along with a hockey team so I can watch hockey after the NFL season ends.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Born in 78 so can't really speak about the sonics, but considering how long it's been without any major championships since then (even the huskies national championship has always bugged me being 'co' champs) and we've just had such a horrible string of sports suckness here for a while, I can't imagine anything is bigger than this.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Both were great experiences, wouldn't be fair to elevate one over the other. This was an NBA town for a long time until forces beyond our control took it away from us.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
well, I was an 15 year old when we won the 1st, I was all consumed from the previous season, every game I would meticulously cut out every image of every player who was the "star" of the game and made a 8'x8' montage in my room for months and months from newspapers... i was POsSESSED.

Hmm, maybe you're asking the wrong person... when you're 15, life has fewer distractions from your major passion!!!

dbmack

Reaction score
I wasn't a Sonics fan so their championship meant nothing to me. I was, however, a Portland Trail Blazer STH for over 20 years. I attended all the home play off games and championship game in 1976-1977. Watching the Seahawks win last night was very enjoyable since I have been a fan since day one, but being there in person makes the Blazers win more memorable for me on a personal level. It was an unbelievable feeling at the time.

Jebediah-Hawkfan

Reaction score
I was born in 1991 so I wouldent know. But seeing the SuperSonics leave Seattle broke my heart. Never again shall I attend a NBA game or anything. Screw the NBA and screw David Stern.

Zorn76

Reaction score
The '79 Sonics were a Huge deal, just like the '13 Seahawks. But, yeah, given one is a series and the other an all or nothing one shot scenario, I gotta go with the Lombardi.

chris98251

Reaction score
I went to the whole series in Seattle, it was amazing, when you talk about 12's I think of those days in the Seattle Colisium. The pillers would vibrate to the point you could see them moveing, referees Screaming to the scoring table trying to be heard. It was the first title in this town so it has a special place. I can seperate them and both are special and unique in there own way. Last night was historically Epic, no compareing the two, it's like trying to say you have a favorite son out of twins.