Do we have any captologists here?

VancitySeahawk

Reaction score
Who can tell us how much money we would save if we were to cut or not re-sign the following:

Rice
Miller
Clemons
Bryant

Not saying that I would want to get these guys but I am curious how much we would save.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Not keeping all of them I would bet. Sometimes a few tweeks can be the difference to gettting back to the big game though!

OP
OP
VancitySeahawk

VancitySeahawk

Reaction score
Cyrus12":38wjtdps said:
Not keeping all of them I would bet. Sometimes a few tweeks can be the difference to gettting back to the big game though!

Well I think we need to cut Rice, Miller and Clemons for sure. I like all three but Rice is being paid as a number one WR, is injury prone and has chronic knee problems.

Miller has been fantastic for us but he is being paid too much when we take into account how little we use TEs in the passing game.

Cutting Clemons will be tough because he has been putting in work the past few years. But he is aging and took a step back this year (ACL injury didn’t help). Bennett and Avril are clear upgrades.

Timmahawk

Reaction score
Rice and Clemons is about 15 mil

I could see them keeping Red, not sure about Miller.

Timmahawk

Reaction score
Extending Thomas and Sherman is probably gonna be 20 mil more. Thomas is on the books for about 5.5 mil already. Throw in Bennett and I don't see a way Tate is coming back.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Rice has a contract that pays him $8.5 million in salary. He has $1.2 million in signing bonus counting this year and $2.4 million total in dead money, so we would save $7.3 million overall if he were cut

Miller is scheduled to make $4.8 million in base with total bonuses of $1 million from his signing bonus and $1.2 million in other bonuses. He has $2 million in dead money for a savings of $5 million

Clemons has a Salary of $7.5 million and signing bonus counting $2.1667 million. His total cap savings would be $7.5 (for informational purposes, Avril is about an equal cap hit)

Bryant has a Salary of $4.5 with a signing bonus of $1 million and is due $3 million in bonuses this year. His cap cost savings could be as much as $5.5 million

Obviously we have some contracts that will need to be re-worked. We are currently over the cap by around 0.5 million dollars and don't even have a full roster (can't count the free agents in the cap). We will definitely have a lot of work to do this off season, but we pulled off what many would have considered several coups last off season in contracts, so I expect John and Pete to work that magic this off season.

My biggest concern is that there will be players who may decide that they have a ring and just want the most money. there are always teams looking to overpay players in that situation.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Can't we let these guys have their parade before we start cutting them?

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":gl6524t8 said:
Can't we let these guys have their parade before we start cutting them?

I'm with you there. Besides, I really hate to say we're cutting this guy or that guy right now. There are just too many ways this stuff can play out. Some guys will want to stay and restructure, some guys the team may not want, much will be determined on how we draft. there's always the possibility of trades for future draft picks. Just way too early to actually cut them. I just wanted to put the numbers out there to answer the question. I am not ready to predict any cuts or changes right now. For now, we are a 53 man roster full of Super Bowl Champions and I'm loving every second of it

OP
OP
VancitySeahawk

VancitySeahawk

Reaction score
Jeremy517":3d8bivhh said:
http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Seahawks&Year=2014

The Cap Savings column is how much we save by cutting that player. Values in parentheses are negative, meaning that it costs more cap space to cut the player than it does to keep him.

Awesome link. Thanks.

Looking at those numbers, we might have to cut Heath Farewell (would be sad to see him go) and Carpenter to save another 3 million.

GCrow

Reaction score
I hate getting worked up about this stuff already, but how much money do we also have in rollover from last season, or is that all gone from in season transactions? (Coulda sworn it was at something like 4.5M, though likely have no clue what i'm talking about)

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Not even thinking about the cap or anything. We just won the Superbowl. Of course I wanna win more but I'm happy to finally be here.

Brithawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":30t3tkpj said:
If you guys are on Twitter, follow this guy if you love all the numbers and analysis stuff

https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle

This guy is great at breaking down stats and cap figures on the Hawks.
+1 check his stuff out on field gulls. Did a whole cap breakdown for both sides of the ball before the playoffs.

Think he said he sees Rice, Clem, Bryant all being let go