Does this remind anyone of the Rams / Patriots super bowl

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Maybe I am reaching for signs that this will go in our favour, but tought of this on the weekend.

-A veteran QB that won one Super Bowl and looking for #2
-An offense that seemed impossible to stop at times. Above mentioend QB and all kinds of talent at receiver
-On the other side, a team that wasn't considered as dynamic on offense. Led by a 2nd year QB who was not a high draft pick and entered the league with little fan fare
-A no name (on the national stage) group of receivers that gets maligned for their lack of star power but gets the job done
-A non-flashy team team lead by a solid D, strong running game, and good special teams.

StorytellerMatt

Reaction score
I've made this comparison myself. I even expect a similar gameplan from the Seattle defense to what the Pats ran in the first half--letting the opposing receivers get their short routes, hit them hard once they get the ball, and make them start hearing footsteps late in the game.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
It reminds me a lot more of the Giants/Pats Super Bowl than anything..

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
akscoundrel":204g2kk9 said:
Hopefully it turns out to be Oakland vs Tampa bay part II

I made that comparison this weekend, too. A repeat of that game definitely would be the most fun I've ever had watching a football game.

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
I can see the comparison to 2007 as well as 2001 (been on both sides of those expectations.)

I will say this the Pats D bet themselves in 2007 (Eli houdini trick, a dropped INT, a helmet catch.. LOTS of chances for them to end the game and seal the deal.)

Where as in 2001 Brady & Co. went out and won it on the last minute drive to set up Adam V.

So picking of the two I say the Hawks fit 2001 better I dont see your D costing you the game late if they have the lead.

Largent80

Reaction score
The D will be the true test, That and special teams. Hawks are #1 in both those categories.

BlueTalons

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3a29nwsw said:
akscoundrel":3a29nwsw said:

I made that comparison this weekend, too. A repeat of that game definitely would be the most fun I've ever had watching a football game.
I ALSO have thought of one a time or two the past week. Wasn't that TB team one that had one of the "historic" secondaries?

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Yes. Was that the Super Bowl where the ENTIRE Patriots team came out on the field for the coin toss? For a non-Pats fan like me it seemed kinda gimmicky, but I'm certain they were feeling the same kind of team-wide unity that we know our Seahawks have now.

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":ayfcsmcc said:
akscoundrel":ayfcsmcc said:

This.

Hell, if we are going to reference the Raiders, I hope it turns out to be like Super Bowl XVIII, where the Redskins came in having set league records for points and the Raiders came in leading the league in defense with an imposing defensive backfield - Result of that game?? 38-9 Raiders.

ivotuk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":puhoi6a4 said:
It reminds me a lot more of the Giants/Pats Super Bowl than anything..

This is what I'm thinking. Record setting offense that was undefeated at the time, everyone was calling for New England to win this one easily. But...NASCAR package strikes again!

HawkFan72

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":1uxql72d said:
Yes. Was that the Super Bowl where the ENTIRE Patriots team came out on the field for the coin toss? For a non-Pats fan like me it seemed kinda gimmicky, but I'm certain they were feeling the same kind of team-wide unity that we know our Seahawks have now.

Yes it was that game. And you might not have noticed, but they have not done individual introductions for ANY team in the Super Bowl since. They set the trend.

Rex

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":216kjxpg said:
Maybe I am reaching for signs that this will go in our favour, but tought of this on the weekend.

-A veteran QB that won one Super Bowl and looking for #2
-An offense that seemed impossible to stop at times. Above mentioend QB and all kinds of talent at receiver
-On the other side, a team that wasn't considered as dynamic on offense. Led by a 2nd year QB who was not a high draft pick and entered the league with little fan fare
-A no name (on the national stage) group of receivers that gets maligned for their lack of star power but gets the job done
-A non-flashy team team lead by a solid D, strong running game, and good special teams.

i still get mad thinking about that game. Between the officials not calling obvious penalties and Martz's refusal to adjust to that reality the 17 point underdog post 9/11 Patriots got away with grand theft. Later the Tape Gate scandal surfaced and they haven't won anything since. I hope your game is called honestly and the officials have no bearing on the outcome, that being a decisive victory for the Seahawks. Get it done!

halps80

Reaction score
It actually reminds me most of the Bills/Giants SBXXV. Bills featured a flashy, high-scoring offense (although Moreno is no T. Thomas) and a D that was really good, with some big names, but gave up a lot of points during the season and was perhaps a bit overrated because the offense was so prolific and the AFC was so weak. Giants had an efficient, ball-control offense led by a power rushing game and underrated passing attack, and a lphysical D that was tempered by tough competition in their division and broader conference. Giants controlled the clock, keeping Kelly and his K-gun O on the sidelines, and physically beat the snot out of them when they were on the field. This resulted in a tight game in which the Giants' running game took command in the second half. Granted, it took a wide-right FG attempt to preserve the win, but the D did their job by holding the high-powered Bills to 19 total points.

Steve2222

Reaction score
It reminds me more of TB-Oak.

Nobody was giving NE a chance in their SB against STL. Many were claiming that STL team to be the greatest team ever and NE was just happy to be there. Also, Russell Wilson had way more fanfare in college than Brady did. Everybody knew who Wilson was coming out of college. Few knew too much about Brady.

Oak you had a high powered offense led by MVP Rich Gannon. TB you had a star littered defense led by Sapp, Brooks, Barber, and Lynch.

Den has a high powered offense led by shoe-in MVP Peyton Manning. Seattle you have a star littered defense led by the Legion of Boom.

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":3a77u4s5 said:

Not sure about the coin toss, but was the one they came onto the field as ONE team no individual were announced like the Rams were that game.

BlueTalons

Reaction score
The strange dynamic about that Rams/Patriots Super Bowl...I think EVERYONE not a Rams fan were pulling for the Patriots. Think about it...2001...

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
The Patriots-Rams and Giants-Patriots games were both two-touchdown spreads. This is nothing like those. The Raiders-Bucs comparison is more apt.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Unfortunately we don't have Adam Vinateri...
Haus is money, but not sure I'd want our hopes on a 45 yard FG to win in 20 degree weather.