Using Harvin

kidhawk

Reaction score
I was listening to KIRO and they had both Clayton and Sando on. They were discussing how to best use Harvin. Clayton was arguing that Harvin should absolutely NOT return kicks because he'll only be good for a set number of plays and they don't want to waste them on Kick Returns.

Sando argued that Denver doesn't want to see Harvin back there doing kick returns and that not playing him there is a bad idea.

Personally I think we put him back there. Just having him there will make the Broncos think twice about how they kick off, especially if they have to kick into the wind. Imagine what Harvin can do if the kick off is limited due to the wind and he can get the ball inside the 5 and go with it? That could cause Denver to make some special teams errors in trying to avoid those big returns.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I would agree with Sando if this game wasn't going to be played in cold conditions with the liklihood of numerous KO opportunities (hopefully not too many).

If anything Harvin would be BEST used on KO's because it's all instincts, as opposed to pass or run plays where he's rusty.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I think if the argument against Harvin doing kick returns is that it is too much of an injury risk, then Baldwin absolutely should not be back there doing it. At this point, Baldwin is a far more established, vital piece of this offense. It would be far worse to lose him in my opinion. If it is just about touch numbers, I suppose I could see the argument for having him only play offense to open things up for everyone. Even if hes just running routes, he will help others get open.

But I agree. Just put him back there. Its the fear factor he brings. And this is the superbowl. No reason to hold back now.

Stuje1

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings. Don't want him getting injured on a kick return and Baldwin did well last week. On the other hand, one big break (50+ yds or TD) and it could completely change the game. I would have him do the returns.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3h5hth2p said:
I would agree with Sando if this game wasn't going to be played in cold conditions with the liklihood of numerous KO opportunities (hopefully not too many).

If anything Harvin would be BEST used on KO's because it's all instincts, as opposed to pass or run plays where he's rusty.

I also think that if we put Harvin in the end zone, then we can move Baldwin up to the 5 or 10 yard line in case they try to squib kick. Baldwin is an excellent blocker and if the ball comes his way, he can also do some really good things with it. I think this would give us a real advantage in Special teams

themunn

Reaction score
Denver had the WORST return average in the league on kickoffs

Not putting one of the best returners out there would be foolish

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Clayton has been on the "Don't let Harvin return kicks" thing all season. And I think he's been dead wrong the entire time. That's the one area where he can really help you without a ton of practice reps. His reputation alone might force Denver to kick it short.

Right now, Doug is actually more important to our regular offense. He's been there all season and has the right chemistry with Wilson. He hurt his hip against SF, so you're putting him at risk on returns as well. Give it to Harvin.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":b9nrgu05 said:
Sgt. Largent":b9nrgu05 said:

I also think that if we put Harvin in the end zone, then we can move Baldwin up to the 5 or 10 yard line in case they try to squib kick. Baldwin is an excellent blocker and if the ball comes his way, he can also do some really good things with it. I think this would give us a real advantage in Special teams

Another good point. Just having Harvin standing in the endzone might cause some pooch kicks which would result in good field position.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Clayton is cool and all, but he needs to give it a flippen rest. This is the damn SuperbOwl, no holding back, use him for EVERYTHING.

He will get so much attention on KR, and on offense, it opens it up for everyone. Having him on returns will give us a huge field position advantage as well.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Clayton makes decisions based on his conservative perspective. He would err on the side of caution, rather than be anything remotely close to aggressive. This is the last dance of the year. Percy should be out there returning kicks, rushing in the read option, and catching passes - because that is Percy Harvin's MO. We need to lay it all on the line in this game, and fire all of our guns at Denver and play Seahawks football. If we do that, we win. Simple as that.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
I think definately put back on kick returns. It is the SB, no holding back. Also, I would be more worried about PH on pass plays where he is looking for the ball and gets blind sided like last game than kickoffs. On kick offs the returner has much more time to get the ball in his hands and maneuver or avoid a big hit. Punt returns would be much more of a concern for him I think because of fielding while gunners are on top of you. Tate is golden on the PRs and should be kept there.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This is the damn Super Bowl Mr. Clayton!

ALL OUT!!!

ivotuk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ug6jr9o said:
kidhawk":1ug6jr9o said:
Sgt. Largent":1ug6jr9o said:

Another good point. Just having Harvin standing in the endzone might cause some pooch kicks which would result in good field position.

DavidSeven

Clayton has been on the "Don't let Harvin return kicks" thing all season. And I think he's been dead wrong the entire time. That's the one area where he can really help you without a ton of practice reps. His reputation alone might force Denver to kick it short.

Right now, Doug is actually more important to our regular offense. He's been there all season and has the right chemistry with Wilson. He hurt his hip against SF, so you're putting him at risk on returns as well. Give it to Harvin

All of these.

I want to preserve him on offense because as we saw against the Saints #4 defense, just having him out there helps the running game.

And I firmly believe Marshawn Lynch (T.O.P.) will be the reason we win the SuperB Owl, with "Shawn" getting MVP Honors.

hawk45

Reaction score
As conservative as I am around Harvin being thrown to too much over the middle early in the game, even I think Clayton's nuts with this. For all the reasons mentioned, Harvin's best effect may be on kickoffs.

I agree with Clayton that Harvin is important to the passing offense, but so is getting the ball on the 50 or returning it for six.

Clayton is a great reporter with a good memory, work ethic, and good professional contacts. As an analyst, however, he's one of the more clueless IMO.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Stuje1":21fm5lfe said:
I have mixed feelings. Don't want him getting injured on a kick return and Baldwin did well last week. On the other hand, one big break (50+ yds or TD) and it could completely change the game. I would have him do the returns.

It's the superbowl, it's all or nothing. Worst case he gets injured and he has the entire off season to rehab (assuming it's not career ending). Bringing him in limited before made sense since there were more games to come, this is it.

ManBunts

Reaction score
How to use Harvin?! HOW TO USE HARVIN?! We didn't pay out the you know what, then wait all dang season, then get to the Super Bowl, to hold back!! Hold him back?! Preserve him?! For what?! That game AFTER the Super Bowl?

We pay him a lot of money because he's good. So you let him do what he's good at. He catches the ball, whether it's kicked, thrown, pitched, handed off or Russell does his little flip pass and then he runs like a man possessed. The moment you hold him back and they figure it out, which they will because you can believe as much as Manning gives orders to the offense he's also giving tips to the defense, then you've lost that edge.

Hold back...After a season of thread after thread about if/when Harvin will be back and how much we can't wait, was he worth it and we need a #1 WR...and now I see people actually deliberating if we use him fully or not?!