I like our defense

Chawker

Reaction score
The DT's Reed and Young are stout and can push the pocket. The DE's need to up there pass rush. The LB's are way better then last years group. Our secondary is our stongest group.

They maybe ranked 30th for now, but give them time to come around. Keep your eyes on M. Adams and M. Morris when he returns. Bering any major injurys.

Still less enthusiastic with Hurtt though. Hope Pete will kick some ass !

calinator

Reaction score
Not to sound overly negative I will say I like the talent of our DBs. I like how much better they have been at stopping the run but unfortunately mostly due to aging players Reed and Wagner because I'd like to have that quality longer.

A good defense especially in todays league needs a capable pass rush. Our pass rush is just awful to be completely honest and that means you will have a below average defense to put it lightly. The talent at getting consistent pressure to the QB is very low, seems like they always have a clean pocket.

Last edited:

Scout

Reaction score
Even if they were playing straight up m2m coverage they would be exposed on the backend at times. This is because pressures and sacks are necessary with how the NFL is as of today.

It is a chicken vs egg argument regarding where to invest money/cap between secondary and front seven. Bu the modern NFL you need both DBs that can force some coverage sacks. And also edge rushers that can forces pressures and sacks to help protect weaknesses in the secondary or LB groups.

The Hawks have a good mix between their front seven and DBs in terms of talent. The coaches have to do better to have these players ready to play and have better game plans in place. Hurtt has to show growth as a DC.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Pass rush can be mitigated by short passes. Coverage can be mitigated by crossing routes and rubs. There's an offensive answer to everything in the modern NFL. That's why game plans matter.

But I expect game plans to improve as we get more film on the opposition. As will their game plans for us.

We had an awful game plan for the Rams assuming we could take advantage of their weak secondary on offence and no-name receivers on defense. That weak secondary manned up and played very aggressively and the no name receivers ripped the middle zones to shreds.

The game plan for Detroit was far better and I hope with 2 games of film on Bryce Young we can game plan him effectively.

Scout

Reaction score
Pass rush can be mitigated by short passes. Coverage can be mitigated by crossing routes and rubs. There's an offensive answer to everything in the modern NFL. That's why game plans matter.

But I expect game plans to improve as we get more film on the opposition. As will their game plans for us.

We had an awful game plan for the Rams assuming we could take advantage of their weak secondary on offence and no-name receivers on defense. That weak secondary manned up and played very aggressively and the no name receivers ripped the middle zones to shreds.

The game plan for Detroit was far better and I hope with 2 games of film on Bryce Young we can game plan him effectively.
The game plan with the Panthers is simple.

Shut down the run and force Bryce Young into third and long situations where the rookie may force a mistake.

If Adams is back having several safety blitzes designed for him from the 8 gap would be phenomenal.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
Seahawks are ranked 13th against the run 2.9 ypc. And 31st against the pass and we giving up way to many points. We have to get this thing balanced out. Hurtt needs to get pressure on the QBs when it greater then 3rd and 5. We need to start blitzing one or two LBers. Its the defensive play calling, which falls on Hurtts shoulders. Com'on Hurtts grow some balls. Blitz'em.

Cheers

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I like the potential of our defense, but with still a very average front seven they're going to continue to give up big yardage games and be extremely frustratingly inconsistent for large portions of games.

Look around the league, every elite defense was built through a LOT of free agent money and high drafts on the D-line.

Doesn't mean our D can't compete, but without a really dominant front seven it's going to be a struggle every single week.

Fade

Reaction score
The Seahawks are too bland with the rush.

I was listening to a PFF podcast, and Dan Quinn and the Cowboys lead the league in stunts.

The Seahawks finally got pressure on Goff in the 2nd half when they started heating it up, crowding the LoS, started blitzing, and ran some stunts themselves.

The Seahawks have far too much talent and investment on defense to be bottom 3. What a joke.

GemCity

Reaction score
I like our secondary and think they are going to be one of the most talented groups this year.

But, we need a dog or two up front. Mediocre QBs, let alone top tier, can shred our D in its current state. 4-7 yard dinks.

It sort of reminds me of my 6th grade teams defense. Kids rarely get to the QB unless they’re way outside (talking OLB off the Ends outside foot). Since everything is on the edge, we’re “ok” giving up 2 yards…we just prevent sweep, sweep, sweep, sweep….

For the Hawks, we’re coughing it up just past the LBs. With pressure, that doesn’t happen nearly as much as the receiver can’t just run a simple slant or hitch. A good pass rush keeps those throws near the edge, where we appear to be very talented.

The fact that we’re doing well against the run in a DB dominated Defense shows tooonnnnnssss of promise.

But, we need some action up front to really hammer this home.

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Don't believe that anybody has mentioned this yet, so I will....

With the beginning of the second of half of the Detroit Lion's game, the broadcasters showed the following stat regarding the average first down yardage of each team.

Seahawks were averaging something like 6.5 yards on first down, which is pretty good, except for....
Lions were averaging 10.7 yards on first down.

I still have it on DVR, but just don't know how to capture & insert that picture here.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
The issue is 3rd down pass rush. If they can tune some dials to get that working, I think they have an opportunity to be quite good.

The run defense has been stellar so far. It's nice to see something that the coaching staff put emphasis on during of the offseason being addressed.

hoxrox

Reaction score

I was listening to a PFF podcast, and Dan Quinn and the Cowboys lead the league in stunts.

The Seahawks finally got pressure on Goff in the 2nd half when they started heating it up, crowding the LoS, started blitzing, and ran some stunts themselves.

The Seahawks have far too much talent and investment on defense to be bottom 3. What a joke.
I believe Jerry is paying Dan Quinn $4-5 million. I wonder what they are paying Hurtt. The FO should have rolled out the Brinks truck.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score

Well fade, if you want to lead the league in stunts, I see you've got your new team pick out. (jk)

Me personally, I'd take the 15th ranked defense across the board. Its something to build on, aggression is one aspect that if not applied correctly it will bite your ass every time.

Cheers

Polk738

Reaction score
Surprisingly, Seattle ranks No. 4 league-wide in Pass Rush Win Rate, behind only the Cowboys, Texans, and Titans. Another stat, through Seattle’s first two games, ESPN credits Darrell Taylor with 8 “wins” on 29 pass-rush plays, which equates to a Pass Rush Win Rate of 28%. That is good for 7th among EDGE players.

knownone

Reaction score
Surprisingly, Seattle ranks No. 4 league-wide in Pass Rush Win Rate, behind only the Cowboys, Texans, and Titans. Another stat, through Seattle’s first two games, ESPN credits Darrell Taylor with 8 “wins” on 29 pass-rush plays, which equates to a Pass Rush Win Rate of 28%. That is good for 7th among EDGE players.
This is one of the limitations of PRWR: It only measures whether a player beats his blocker within 2.5 seconds. And while it's a positive sign, it doesn't necessarily correlate with pressure on the QB.

This will change, though. The Rams and Lions get the ball out faster than the league average, so those wins should translate to pressures against lesser offenses.

GemCity

Reaction score
This is very surprising