Why so defensive fans?

Shock2k

Reaction score
I'm actually curious. Why are we so defensive? Do we want to be the "toast of the town" going into the game? Let's be honest, it's never going to happen. Payton Manning | 2013 is like Jerome Bettis | 2005. It's a battle we will never win. And since we are not the "team of destiny" everyone will look to vilify the Seahawks.

They don't like Sherman, does anyone here not like Sherman.

I think we should use it as juice to energize our own fanbase. Everyone against us, everyone wants Manning to win, no "attempt" at respect.

We all we got we all we need. (Should be as common as "Role Tide")

drdiags

Reaction score
Just part of the DNA. Not going to change until a Championship is finally attained. I tend to just avoid the posts where the title tells me it is a bitchfest. Or maybe I will join in (LOL!)?

Laloosh

Reaction score
drdiags":260c5eej said:
Just part of the DNA. Not going to change until a Championship is finally attained. I tend to just avoid the posts where the title tells me it is a bitchfest. Or maybe I will join in (LOL!)?

Don't rain on the pitty party, doc! :)

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
I think it stems from a lot of people/media pundits not doing their research and stating opinion as facts about the Seahawks.

We all know that people outside of Seattle and fans of the 'hawks only know what they do from hearsay, and articles posted to ESPN/Yahoo/Etc.

Instead of actually watching the games and doing a bit of research to find out what the team is really about.

Seeker

Reaction score
I am gonna thoroughly enjoy crushing middle America when peyton blows that game.

OP
OP
Shock2k

Shock2k

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":2fiz9afx said:
I think it stems from a lot of people/media pundits not doing their research and stating opinion as facts about the Seahawks.

We all know that people outside of Seattle and fans of the 'hawks only know what they do from hearsay, and articles posted to ESPN/Yahoo/Etc.

Instead of actually watching the games and doing a bit of research to find out what the team is really about.

I've noticed I've been really defensive also. I came to the same conclusion around why. We seemed to just get slammed in the media, after what was one of the... top 6 most hard fought NFC Championship games since the merger.

I find myself on ESPN/NFL.COM/CBS Sports just constantly defending the team.

Makes me feel like we are becoming the Raiders or something. Is this what it feels like to have one of the toughest teams in the NFL. The nation just throws hate your way? I mean I've always liked the Bears, and they have always had that reputation. I don't remember hating the 85' Bears. As kid though I liked their cockiness.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
Cause we haven't won and don't have that respect we think we're self entitled to. And Imo some people are incapable of being honest with themselves, people on here are extremists who make arguments like every player should be in the pro bowl .

Ps, our wrs are not elite :stirthepot:

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor wrote one of the best explanations for why we can be thin-skinned as a fanbase at times. This was in the "Trent Dilfer" thread and he's responding to Dilfer's assertion that we're the touchiest fans in the league. I'll just quote his whole post here, because it was awesome:

Seahawk Sailor":vtecly51 said:
I think he's spot on. It's true. It's part of the history of who we are.

"Ha ha, Seattle is an expansion team with a bunch of losers on it."

- What's the retort here? Absolutely true. We didn't get the luxury of later expansion teams who were able to stack a decent team to compete right away. The Seahawks and Buccaneers were the little sisters of the NFL for years because of the way our franchises started out. But of course, that has no effect on those doing the criticizing.

"Ha ha, Seahawks are moving to L.A. because nobody cares about football in that remote outpost of South Alaska full of latte-sipping lumberjacks."

- Again, we have no real retort because it's true. Or at least mostly true. We die-hards wept and fought it tooth and nail, while the rest of the country sat back with the latte-sipping lumberjacks and counted down the days to when a "real" city could have football once again.

"Ha ha, the Seahawks suck suck suck!"

- This was the mockery that stemmed first from our humble beginnings, and then after a short time where we finally put together a great team in a then-tough AFC West, when we slumped back into mediocrity. Of course, that mediocrity stemmed from the same origins that caused people to deride our impending move to L.A., because Behring decided to "Suck for L.A." over the course of almost the entire 1990s.

"Ha ha, you have no history, no Super Bowl rings!"

- And of course, with a past like that, there's no wonder we have no history. That's like mocking a little kid for getting adopted by poor parents. Totally his fault, and totally something he could control, right? But it doesn't matter to those franchises whose history extends back to before the Louisiana Purchase. Adding to that, for years we were a franchise in "Egypt" and "South Alaska" that nobody - and I mean nobody - wanted to play for. Think you're going to do much with a team nobody really wants to be on?

"Ha ha, you think you got screwed in the Super Bowl! Get over it you whiners."

- While most of the rest of the United States agrees we got screwed there, it doesn't completely counterbalance accusations that we whined about it. We finally make it to the big dance and get screwed, but shut up and take it, Seattle, because Bettis and America's Team North got a ring. And the more it gets brought up, no matter what anyone says, the reaction is always "stop whining and get over it." And of course that just adds fuel to the flames and more criticism.

"You're a bunch of cheating thugs."

- While we have had a few players pop for illegal substances, and not a whole lot more than many other teams, the accusations are there. And any rebuttal, even when bringing up stuff like the fact Sherman's case was thrown out completely is only going to feed the haters' mentality. We're upstarts with no history, and that intrudes on everybody's preconceived notions that we're undeserving to be in the same league as them, and should relegate our play to the remote northern latitudes of the CFL.

So yea, we're die-hard fans with little history to hold on to, and a whole lot of criticism and ridicule to overcome. Are we thin-skinned? Absolutely. And with damned good reason. Not that it matters one bit to those doing the criticizing. But hey, flame on, ya window lickers. For the first time in history we have a team that everybody wants to be and nobody wants to play. And that's gonna change history!

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Seeker":zjxhe2cy said:
I am gonna thoroughly enjoy crushing middle America when peyton blows that game.

There are going to be so many pleated khakis and white puffy Costco shoes that are going to be depressed.

Latest posts